Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [OpenCore] Display 3mb on High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G66)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
something generic? it's an hp motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5-3470
Graphics
MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Hello everyone,

This is my first ever attempt at making a hackintosh
Everything is working properly expect for the graphics and the audio
My System:
CPU: Core i5-3470
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 1050 Ti
MB: An HP motherboard I guess, but I don't know if knowing this would help
I used OpenCore's guide, I followed everything step by step
Forward to post install
It says display 3 mb in the about section instead of my gpu, and the screen is stuttery and laggy at times, especially when I run chrome for example
I installed the Nvidia web driver and cuda drivers although the web driver .pkg said my system was not supported (even though it is), so I used this GitHub one liner that downloaded, patched, and installed everything
But still no changes whatsoever.
I installed the cuda drivers afterwards to see if that would make any difference but no
the cuda panel says "No GPU detected"
everything is displayed through my gpu but the gpu itself is not detected (i have a vga cable, it's plugged to the gpu and not to the port of the motherboard)
I attached my config.plist
I tried almost everything, even the things not advised in the OpenCore guide, no luck so far
I would really appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    26.3 KB · Views: 191
If the Nvidia Web drivers said your system was unsupported it probably means you used the wrong version of the Web Drivers. Each version of High Sierra has its own set of drivers. Have a look at this list of the drivers available for High Sierra in the downloads section - https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

You need to use the drivers for the specific version of High Sierra you are running for them to work. There are 17 Driver versions to match with the 17 versions of High Sierra. Are you sure you are using the correct drivers?

Open 'About this Mac', click on the version number displayed below the High Sierra name. This should display the sub-version number you need to use when matching the Nvidia Web Drivers for your system. It would be logical to make sure you have all the available updates for High Sierra installed before installing the Nvidia Web Drivers, otherwise you will just have to keep downloading and installing additional versions of the drivers.

Nvidia Web Drivers & OC:
Have you enabled the Nvidia Web Drivers in your OC config.plist?

You need to add this to your OC config.plist for the Nvidia Web Drivers to work through OpenCore.

UUID Key Value Type
7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 nvda_drv 31 DATA
  • Enables loading of NVIDIA Drivers

Display Connector:
Using a VGA connection is not a good option, as Apple have never used VGA on any of their systems. If you can change the connection and cable and use a DisplayPort, DVI or HDMI that would be better. The order of preference for usage is as written, i.e. DisplayPort over DVI over HDMI...

Adapter cables should be a last resort.

There are no web drivers for build 17G66 - Use the forum Search tool to see the many other posts about the problem.

The bottom line is you should install an OS update that changes the build number and then install the appropriate web drivers for that build.

If the Nvidia Web drivers said your system was unsupported it probably means you used the wrong version of the Web Drivers. Each version of High Sierra has its own set of drivers. Have a look at this list of the drivers available for High Sierra in the downloads section - https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

You need to use the drivers for the specific version of High Sierra you are running for them to work. There are 17 Driver versions to match with the 17 versions of High Sierra. Are you sure you are using the correct drivers?

Open 'About this Mac', click on the version number displayed below the High Sierra name. This should display the sub-version number you need to use when matching the Nvidia Web Drivers for your system. It would be logical to make sure you have all the available updates for High Sierra installed before installing the Nvidia Web Drivers, otherwise you will just have to keep downloading and installing additional versions of the drivers.

Nvidia Web Drivers & OC:
Have you enabled the Nvidia Web Drivers in your OC config.plist?

You need to add this to your OC config.plist for the Nvidia Web Drivers to work through OpenCore.

UUID Key Value Type
7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 nvda_drv 31 DATA
  • Enables loading of NVIDIA Drivers

Display Connector:
Using a VGA connection is not a good option, as Apple have never used VGA on any of their systems. If you can change the connection and cable and use a DisplayPort, DVI or HDMI that would be better. The order of preference for usage is as written, i.e. DisplayPort over DVI over HDMI...

Adapter cables should be a last resort.
I'm sorry, I'm just being stupid and dismissive. My build number doesn't match any of the drivers listed.
I will change my build number then.
Oh and btw my 1050 ti has an hdmi port, I'm using an adapter to VGA because my screen does not have any other ports other than that.
Thank you SO much for your help I really appreciate it.

There are no web drivers for build 17G66 - Use the forum Search tool to see the many other posts about the problem.

The bottom line is you should install an OS update that changes the build number and then install the appropriate web drivers for that build.
I'm not that much of a professional when it comes to macOS as I didn't ever need to tweak the mac that use, how would I get "An update that changes my build number" and to a lower build number for the matter? Thank you very much for your reply, I almost gave up on OpenCore

I'm not that much of a professional when it comes to macOS as I didn't ever need to tweak the mac that use, how would I get "An update that changes my build number" and to a lower build number for the matter? Thank you very much for your reply, I almost gave up on OpenCore
Use software update.

There is no need to revert to a lower build number.

Use software update.

There is no need to revert to a lower build number.
so I did just that and got a build number that is on the list, uninstalled the previous driver, restarted, and download the appropriate one, now it installs properly, but after the restart, the about section says "nvidia chip model 3 mb" instead. I added the nvda_drv = <31> as a child of 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 btw (using ProperTree), thought maybe it would help (although they scream at you in the OpenCore guide for using it).
Ps: now the boot log screen mentions things about nvidia, but the text goes too fast for me to read
Edit: The lag and stutter is still present so I think the driver still didn't take effect or recognize the gpu

Have you used the specific driver for the specific version of High Sierra you are now running?

Which version of High Sierra are you now running, which version of the Nvidia Web Drivers are you using?

Post a screenshot of the ProperTree Entry you have added for the Nvidia Web Drivers.

so I did just that and got a build number that is on the list, uninstalled the previous driver, restarted, and download the appropriate one, now it installs properly, but after the restart, the about section says "nvidia chip model 3 mb" instead. I added the nvda_drv = <31> as a child of 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 btw (using ProperTree), thought maybe it would help (although they scream at you in the OpenCore guide for using it).
Ps: now the boot log screen mentions things about nvidia, but the text goes too fast for me to read
Edit: The lag and stutter is still present so I think the driver still didn't take effect or recognize the gpu

The web drivers require NVRAM support so after making the changes you should clear NVRAM and restart.

Have you used the specific driver for the specific version of High Sierra you are now running?

Which version of High Sierra are you now running, which version of the Nvidia Web Drivers are you using?

Post a screenshot of the ProperTree Entry you have added for the Nvidia Web Drivers.
Indeed I did, my current build number after the security update is (17G14033), and I went to the link you provided, ctrl+F to avoid mistakes and downloaded the driver with version 387.10.10.10.40.139.
Here's the screenshot you requested.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.36.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 10.36.40 AM.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 438
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back