i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After about 18 hours and many, many attempts. I find myself at a complete lost. I posted about a small annoyance the other day, and was suggested to take my device from 18,1 to 19,1 -- so I did hoping it would fix the small issue. I was using the most recent version of clover, bios are all correct, and I found that I couldn't get my display to work no matter what I tired. It was just black, the OS was booting but no image. iGPU, discrete, didn't matter. I tried everything.

So I wiped it. I make a brand new Catalina bootloader with 10.1.0 and it refuses to boot on my system. Can't even manage to get into the installer after clover boots. So I pull out my original Mojave one -- do some work arounds and finally get it to "install" except I can manage to get into it without the USB. Very unstable. Tons of issues. I fully wipe it again (and every time in between).

Finally, I decide to make the switch to Opencore -- I've used it for my Ryzentosh and it runs WONDERFULLY. Here though, on this system, crap shoot -- again, can't even get the bootloader to work.

I have followed to Vanilla guide multiple times, I've tried taking other people's EFI folders just for the hope that maybe they would work. Here are my two biggest issues I believe that are catching me in this process:

1) Despite my bootargs have -v: It never boots in verbose mode. Can't figure out why.

2) NVRAM always has this ERROR message right as the bootloader begins. My keyboard won't ever let me choose to install (I've tried the various options for keyboards -- nothing) Then it justs go straight to the apple logo, and very slowly creeps to 100% and then sits there forever.

ERROR CODE:
00:000 00:000 OC: Deleting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82: - Invalid Parameter
00:035 00:035 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82: )rev-lang:kbd - Not Found

I'm desperate, frustrated, and very tired. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached my most recent attempt for the EFI file, as well one I took from @pastrychef's post about NVRAM and Z390 boards.

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid, but like I said after 18 hours -- I don't know what to do at this point.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18.1 MB · Views: 138
  • EFI OpenCore 0.5.6 Z390M.zip
    18.6 MB · Views: 227
ERROR CODE:
00:000 00:000 OC: Deleting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82: - Invalid Parameter
00:035 00:035 OC: Setting NVRAM 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82: )rev-lang:kbd - Not Found

These will not prevent booting. It's just telling you that you have two undefined settings.

For RX 5700, you need "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument.

These will not prevent booting. It's just telling you that you have two undefined settings.

For RX 5700, you need "agdpmod=pikera" boot argument.
Thanks for the heads up on the NVRAM.

I finally got verbose to work and found out a couple of issues were path extensions actually.

I’ve added agdpmod=pikera to the boot args, but screen still goes black after running the initial portion of the installer.
Any ideas from there? I’ve uploaded the revised EFI folder as well.

Attachments

• EFI 2.0.zip
    18 MB · Views: 247
Thanks for the heads up on the NVRAM.

I finally got verbose to work and found out a couple of issues were path extensions actually.

I’ve added agdpmod=pikera to the boot args, but screen still goes black after running the initial portion of the installer.
Any ideas from there? I’ve uploaded the revised EFI folder as well.

I don't see the agdpmod=pikera.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.03.39 AM.png

Weird -- I show it in mine. Let me try uploading again, pulling directly from the bootloader and Zipping. It's the last argument now.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    18 MB · Views: 151
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.09.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.09.29 AM.png
    370.7 KB · Views: 281
Weird -- I show it in mine. Let me try uploading again, pulling directly from the bootloader and Zipping. It's the last argument now.

If that config.plist is from my Z390 build thread, you should delete everything in config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add because the device paths on your motherboard may be different from mine.

You can try my OpenCore EFI, I appreciate our mainboards are different, but the specs are very similar. You can at least use it as a comparison. I have removed serials, so use GenSMBIOS to create new ones.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.8 MB · Views: 248
If that config.plist is from my Z390 build thread, you should delete everything in config.plist > DeviceProperties > Add because the device paths on your motherboard may be different from mine.
Thanks for the continued help. So I've removed basically all of device properties, and it still goes through the same process. Verbose mode of the installer works fine until it gets past its initial run and then the system is on but the screen is just black.

There's nothing special about my RX 5700 either, didn't even flash it's bios with the XT version.

@pastrychef @Big-W okay, between looking at both of your configs, I think I’m finally making progress... we’ll see where this goes. Thanks for your continued help guys.

Attachments

• 295373E8-2A13-4813-823B-276B67658F05.jpeg
    295373E8-2A13-4813-823B-276B67658F05.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 147
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back