CPU
i5-11400F
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When I hit Control+Enter in the picker the arrow flashes to indicate that the volume is selected but then it just changes back to the down arrow and nothing happens, also when I try to select Windows from the startup disk option within Ventura it just reboots to MacOS.
I'm dual booting with Ventura and Windows 11.
Setup a custom entry for Windows following the below guide.

Am I missing something AllowSetDefault is set to true, I have another hack with HD5500 graphics, and the same thing happening with that as well.
Can't select Windows as the first boot device only if I manually select it at the picker.
If anyone has a solution, please let me know, I attached my EFI folder.
Thank you.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 75
When I hit Control+Enter in the picker the arrow flashes to indicate that the volume is selected but then it just changes back to the down arrow and nothing happens
I've never used Ctrl + Enter in the Picker (not sure where you got that from?). I just use the Arrow keys or the Tab key and the Enter key to make my selection.

, also when I try to select Windows from the startup disk option within Ventura it just reboots to MacOS.
Just inspected mine (Monterey/Haswell) and same behaviour as yours unfortunately reverting to macOS. I still have the option to select Windows from the Picker though so I can live with that. Although, it would be handy to have that Windows selection set in the macOS Startup Disk for unattended Windows Updates as those updates sometimes want a couple of reboots :roll2:

I'm dual booting with Ventura and Windows 11.
Setup a custom entry for Windows following the below guide.
Yep, that's a great guide! props @miliuco

Am I missing something AllowSetDefault is set to true, I have another hack with HD5500 graphics, and the same thing happening with that as well.
Can't select Windows as the first boot device only if I manually select it at the picker.
If anyone has a solution, please let me know, I attached my EFI folder.
Thank you.
"AllowSetDefault is set to True" is correct.
The only thing that could be missing from your EFI is a Driver for OpenCore to recognise the NTFS file system and thus Windows so maybe adding this driver OpenNtfsDxe.efi (which comes with the latest OpenCore Release) might help.
Note: I recommend ProperTree's OC SnapShot to properly inject the Driver into your config.plist using cmd+R , Save and Reboot.

You also might have a slash syntax error with your Windows 11 HD Path (config.plist > Entries section) so just in case that's it then try this;

replace; /\EFI\Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi with; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi

if no difference then try;

replace; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi with; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

The latter is how I have my Multi-Boot setup, although I do have a custom ScanPolicy value and a custom PickerAttribute value but it's more for cosmetic reasons with the added benefit of security. (BTW - OpenCore Configurator has a handy ScanPolicy and PickerAttribute calculator selector for that).

Don't forget to set your BIOS Boot Priority Order as below;

1. [UEFI] macOS
2. Windows Boot Manager (scraped info about your HDD boot drive model)

or

1. [UEFI] macOS
2. [UEFI] Windows

Last edited:
I've never used Ctrl + Enter in the Picker (not sure where you got that from?). I just use the Arrow keys or the Tab key and the Enter key to make my selection.

Just inspected mine (Monterey/Haswell) and same behaviour as yours unfortunately reverting to macOS. I still have the option to select Windows from the Picker though so I can live with that. Although, it would be handy to have that Windows selection set in the macOS Startup Disk for unattended Windows Updates as those updates sometimes want a couple of reboots :roll2:

Yep, that's a great guide! props @miliuco

"AllowSetDefault is set to True" is correct.
The only thing that could be missing from your EFI is a Driver for OpenCore to recognise the NTFS file system and thus Windows so maybe adding this driver OpenNtfsDxe.efi (which comes with the latest OpenCore Release) might help.
Note: I recommend ProperTree's OC SnapShot to properly inject the Driver into your config.plist using cmd+R , Save and Reboot.

You also might have a slash syntax error with your Windows 11 HD Path (config.plist > Entries section) so just in case that's it then try this;

replace; /\EFI\Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw-orig.efi with; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi

if no difference then try;

replace; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw-orig.efi with; /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

The latter is how I have my Multi-Boot setup, although I do have a custom ScanPolicy value and a custom PickerAttribute value but it's more for cosmetic reasons with the added benefit of security. (BTW - OpenCore Configurator has a handy ScanPolicy and PickerAttribute calculator selector for that).

Don't forget to set your BIOS Boot Priority Order as below;

1. [UEFI] macOS
2. Windows Boot Manager (scraped info about your HDD boot drive model)

or

1. [UEFI] macOS
2. [UEFI] Windows
Thank you, I think I figured it out, the reason the startup disk is not working is because I had to rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi, otherwise the system only boots Windows, and this is an HP laptop so I can't select the EFI folder as a first boot device, it does show up on the boot list and I can manually select it, just can't select it as a first boot device, so I guess I have to live with it, which is not so bad though.

Thank you for your help though.

I will still try this guide though see if it helps.

So, I was able to add a boot entry for opencore that my laptop can see and I can select it as a first boot device.
I used an app called EasyUEFI, but you can probably just do it with the bcdedit command, for me it was just easier to do it with the app, although learning bcdedit is probably better on the long run.

Anyway problem solved, all working as intended, I can select windows or macos from startup disk and the picker will boot that os, also installed the boot camp app in windows so I can select macos or windows to boot from in windows as well.

Thank you.

So, I was able to add a boot entry for opencore that my laptop can see and I can select it as a first boot device.
I used an app called EasyUEFI, but you can probably just do it with the bcdedit command, for me it was just easier to do it with the app, although learning bcdedit is probably better on the long run.

Anyway problem solved, all working as intended, I can select windows or macos from startup disk and the picker will boot that os, also installed the boot camp app in windows so I can select macos or windows to boot from in windows as well.

Thank you.
You’re welcome robi42, glad you got that fixed with your own method.

I too got my Startup Disk behaviour working properly in macOS Monterey and in Windows. The culprit was my OC custom ScanPolicy value so I experimented with a few other values with no joy. I eventually reset ScanPolicy back to 0 (which makes OC picker look a mess displaying two icons for Windows and 2 entries for Arch) however now I can tell Startup Disk to boot into Windows and tell Windows to boot into macOS. In Windows, I have Bootcamp 6.0 drivers installed.

Back