Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OpenCore battery patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
@takki

I just altered my USBX to fit the new EC device, so far I don't want to use the fake stuff, since it works out nicely.

Yes, I use voltageshift. It was something along the lines of buildlaunchd, I think, I'll also have to look that up tonight, since I'm not on my laptop rn.

Please tell me if layout id 3 works for you in the long run, after some days. Jack and speakers working fine too?

Yeah everything working fine so far. Mic, Jack and Speakers. I had Windows running, restarted a couple times (including shutting off over night and booting macOS cold) and it seems to work. It's not long enough for a definitive answer but there are no drawbacks and so far it's working.

I found the right settings for voltageshift. I disabled turbo boost as well. I don't need the power most of the time and would much rather take a little extra battery life. Would be interesting to know your undervolt settings. I think the iGPU could be undervolted a little more, but I don't want to do the testing at the moment.

EC renaming or not is probably more of a preference. I don't rename it and create a fake EC because I've read that it's the safer approach. The EC in our laptop is different from a real Mac and we can't be sure what macOS does or will do in the future that might be incompatible and lead to problems. But I used the renaming method for a long time as well and personally never had problems. So both ways are probably fine for now.

Something else that @Mr.Crab told me is that the combination of the 15,2 board thing and the 15,3 smbios will fail on a new install. I think the installation will start but after the first reboot it will say something like "couldn't verify firmware" or something. I hope it won't be a problem when updating. Did you install the latest Catalina update? I still have to do the security update on Mojave. @vettz500 maybe this is relevant for you as well for your guide.

@takki

Awesome! I might try layout-id 3 aswell. Here are my voltageshift settings (didn't invest much time into it, would be nice if you could tell me when you see something off here):

Screenshot 2020-06-01 at 00.51.38.png

I was *very* early with the last update. I think it just came out the night I stayed up late and I immediatly installed it after creating a backup. Buttery smooth, no issues so far. I don't see any other solutions for the 15,2 15,3 merge since TB3 video out wont work otherwise. Any new solutions to that?

@takki

Awesome! I might try layout-id 3 aswell. Here are my voltageshift settings:

View attachment 472962

I was *very* early with the last update. I think it just came out the night I stayed up late and I immediatly installed it after creating a backup. Buttery smooth, no issues so far. I don't see any other solutions for the 15,2 15,3 merge since TB3 video out wont work otherwise. Any new solutions to that?
Thanks! I think -150 was unstable in windows for me in some cases, but I could probably get away with it in macOS. You could undervolt the iGPU as well if you wanted to, -40 should be stable for most.

No other solutions to my knowledge, but something to keep in mind in case somebody does a fresh install :D
15,2 never had any real drawbacks for me though, I've used it for a little more than a year. Other than having slightly wrong values in About this Mac.

yeah layout id 3 is the most compatible one i think.
I use it on my realtek card and it works fine

The new VoodooI2C release seems to have fixed the issue, but I have to confess: I only ran it for two boots. We'll see how it works out over the course of the next few days.

Going to create a backup now to install the newest supplemental update, god damn it, get your s#!t together apple, there just as been like 2GB worth of downloading for me already...

VoodooI2C stopped working today... I'll ignore those updates for a while now, this is just one of the most annoying issues ever. Reverted back.

Last edited:
@BlvckBytes also bad news for the audio layout. I just rebooted from windows and there is no more audio out through the speakers. Headphone jack and mic still work. Bummer :/

@takki

Audio seems like a very complicated topic, I wouldn't know how to start debugging that. But the trackpad is not really a big deal, just screw the updates and stay at the latest working version. It probably won't break for many updates to come... Why even update if it's working properly.

@takki

Audio seems like a very complicated topic, I wouldn't know how to start debugging that. But the trackpad is not really a big deal, just screw the updates and stay at the latest working version. It probably won't break for many updates to come... Why even update if it's working properly.
It really is. But it worked pretty good other than this one instance. I think it now only happens either really rarely, or after booting Windows. But it's not always after booting Windows, because I boot it about every other day and so far it happened only this one. A reboot didn't fix it, but shutting down did. This might be something that CodecCommander could fix but if it happens so rarely it's almost impossible to debug.

I don't have the trackpad problems luckily. It was a pain to get it working initially because of my DSDT being strange but now I don't have any problems. There is that github issue regarding your issue, so it seems they are working on it. But yeah, if it works with the older version no big deal for now.

Edit: I just checked back on that issue and there is a version that might work for you. If you want to use a newer version:

@takki

Thank you for yor research! :) I'll keep the current one though, since those issues always happen at the most inconvenient situations, like in school... I'd rather take a step back and watch :,D.

Have you got any idea how to hide boot entries in OC? I want to boot windows through F12 and then choose it's bootloader, since that saves me a lot of headaches with OC's "apply everything everywhere" mentality. So it would be cool to remove it from the picker to avoid accidental boots that crash anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back