Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> OpenCore 0.8.6 - slow to get to drive picker menu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing Misc->Debug->DisplayLevel from 2147483650 to 2147483714 gets me a lot more debugging on screen, which makes startup even slower, of course. (I still get mostly zero bytes opencore-YYYY-MM-DD-hhmmss.txt log files saved to the boot EFI partition though. :think:)

As I was eyeballing the on-screen logging, there was no obvious point where I could see it getting "stuck".

This is a newer version of USBInjectAll.kext (v0.7.6) which was forked from Rehabman's last release (v0.7.1)

Thanks again, and good find.

Is the kext still needed for anything though? I removed it from my build and my USB ports still worked.

I will try adding this new version and see if it fixes my slow menu issue.

Last edited:
what's the target value in your config? if the opencore files are debug instead of release, and/or the target is 67 instead of 0, that can also make a longer boot time

The target is 67, and yes, I'm using all debug Opencore files. I understand that they will always be slower than the release versions.

But the same is the case for my Monterey drive, and it's never displayed this kind of slowness. Ditto for Big Sur, Catalina that I had previous to those.

The target is 67, and yes, I'm using all debug Opencore files. I understand that they will always be slower than the release versions.

But the same is the case for my Monterey drive, and it's never displayed this kind of slowness. Ditto for Big Sur, Catalina that I had previous to those.
Well there's your answer. You've got full logging on, yes it will be slower. Even if it was a different level of slow before, that's still the cause. The fact that you have more drives / installations than prior can add up too.

And as it grows there's more to debug too.

Try it with target 0 and basically all debugging off, switch to release files, and the speed will be much better.

Testing again today, and I'm now getting the boot picker screen a lot quicker that I was previously. I've no idea what I've changed, if anything. It's still not as fast a my Monterey drive, but it's now averaging about 10-15 seconds (as opposed to over a minute), and on one occasion, it actually came up straight way.

It's certainly livable with. This isn't a system that I rely upon - I don't think any Hackintosh should be! I really only use it as a back up to my (real) Macbook Pro, such as when the latter was in the Apple Store for a screen repair. (I have it back now :).)

So I'm going to mark this one as "Solved" for now, even though I'm not sure it is.

If the issue comes back again, I will try turning off debugging and using the release OpenCore files, as per @TripleYoThreat 's advice. Thanks for that, and thanks to everybody that's offered suggestions so far.

Glad to hear! You'll probably be even further delighted with release files. Why have debugging on if it's not needed? Or rather, if it's booting fine, why is it needed

This isn't a system that I rely upon - I don't think any Hackintosh should be!
I have to chime in and disagree to this bit. I've used two hackintoshes over the past 7 years that I've built and configured myself which I've used consistently for audio engineering, video editing, photography work, graphic design, website development, and so much more.
Myself and many others have relied on them for excellent work that has completed work which has brought us plenty of revenue. I've even got a local TV studio on 3 hackintoshes that they love. Can't get a liquid cooled mac from Apple!

They run more stable than a custom built pc on Windows

I have to chime in and disagree to this bit. I've used two hackintoshes over the past 7 years that I've built and configured myself which I've used consistently for audio engineering, video editing, photography work, graphic design, website development, and so much more.
Myself and many others have relied on them for excellent work that has completed work which has brought us plenty of revenue. I've even got a local TV studio on 3 hackintoshes that they love. Can't get a liquid cooled mac from Apple!

Good to hear!

I do love Hackintosh, but the pain of upgrades has cost me many man-hours over the years. That's why I've never quite trusted them enough to use the release OpenCore/Clover files, for example (although I will give that a go).

Sounds like you've had smoother experiences than me!

Thankfully, the Apple desktop story is starting to get a little better. I nearly treated myself to one of the new Mac Studios, although I decided it was probably overkill for what I needed (mainly iOS development). There's rumours of a much-improved Mac Mini next year too.

We'll all have to make the move off of Intel eventually, of course :cry:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back