AMD VII
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Update May 15: thanks 3dadd! all works for me! (10.7.3)

3dadd said:
Here's what it takes to get non supported cards to work with Premiere Pro.

Your card must have 768 MB of RAM or more. 512 MB will not work. Most recent cards are 1GB.

For Premiere 5.5 users, ATI/AMD cards are not supported as Open CL was added for version 6.

OpenCL ATI/AMD cards require Lion 10.7.3 . Adobe now recommends 10.7.4 as Apple updated the OpenCL drivers and performance is near double.

NVIDIA cards will work with 10.6.8 or higher.Need OSX cuda driver.

3 Steps to enable OpenCL on non supported 1GB cards :
1.Goto the Application Folder and Right click on Premiere Pro and select Show Package Contents.

2.Open the Contents Folder and Look for a file called supported_opencl_cards.txt and move to trash.

3.Launch Premiere Pro and all should work. Remember , you need 10.7.3 or higher and recent 1GB card or higher(no recent cards have 768mb which is min)

Notes for NVIDIA users.
Follow the same steps BUT in Step 2 , look for a file called supported_cuda_cards.txt and move to trash. You will also need to download the Cuda driver here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Adobe does not support deleteing this file - but made it easy for people test themselves by doing so. No need to add card names to the txt file - waste of time. ALSO REMEMBER that when an update comes out and Adobe adds more cards to either of these files they will put the txt file back in there and you will need to delete it again.

hope this helps.

instructions for AMD graphics cards:
file.php

original message:

Heyhey! I am wondering when AMD cards will be supported with OpenCL hardware acceleration. I'm a pretty noob when it comes to this :?

This is what I found on Adobe's website

http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/down ... Reveal.pdf (page 9):
Mobile Mac workflows can take advantage of GPU-accelerated performance thanks to new support for AMD Radeon HD 6750M and AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics cards with a minimum of 1GB VRAM that are available on MacBook Pro computers running OS X 10.7.

I currently own a AMD 6870 and when I launch Premiere Pro CS6 I still get a greyed out "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" (see attachment)

Is openCL only enabled for the 6750M/6770M or will it come to other AMD cards as well?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-08 at 2.39.49 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-08 at 2.39.49 PM 1.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,187
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: OpenCL and Adobe CS6

ah! found this on http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

Supported AMD graphics cards for GPU acceleration:
• AMD Radeon HD 6750M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)
• AMD Radeon HD 6770M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)

so the questions that still stands is... will it be able to custom these drivers so other AMD cards will be supported as well!

I read that one guy added his HD 5770 to the opencl_supported_cars.txt file in the contents folder of the app package and it worked. I tried it but could not get it to work.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Artic ... S5-faq.htm

If anyone can get this to work. let me know.

@wieerik
The 6850/6870 has native support in 10.7.x, so it absolutely should work. If you are not running lion then upgrade. If you are you need to figure out what is causing the problem.

The cards that you posted are not the same cards as you have, they are the mobile versions (for MacBooks and iMacs) hence the M at the end.

titsmgee said:
@wieerik
The 6850/6870 has native support in 10.7.x, so it absolutely should work. If you are not running lion then upgrade. If you are you need to figure out what is causing the problem.

The cards that you posted are not the same cards as you have, they are the mobile versions (for MacBooks and iMacs) hence the M at the end.

hey titsmgee thanks for the info,

I actually do have Lion (10.7.3) I know my card does have native support (and OpenCL) and though I was taking full advantage of that. But maybe I'm wrong. I do have QE/CI and my computer recognized the card in "About this Mac" (see attachment)
This means the divers are working fine... right?

In boot options i have 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No.
64-bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes doesn't work, it gets me past Chimera bootloader but hangs on the white screen you see before the desktop is loaded. It's doesn't log me in
Can GraphicsEnabler be the problem?
Thanks!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-08 at 10.20.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-08 at 10.20.54 PM.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,112

wieerik said:
titsmgee said:
@wieerik

hey titsmgee thanks for the info,

I actually do have Lion (10.7.3) I know my card does have native support (and OpenCL) and though I was taking full advantage of that. But maybe I'm wrong. I do have QE/CI and my computer recognized the card in "About this Mac" (see attachment)
This means the divers are working fine... right?

In boot options i have 64-bit GraphicsEnabler=No.
64-bit GraphicsEnabler=Yes doesn't work, it gets me past Chimera bootloader but hangs on the white screen you see before the desktop is loaded. It's doesn't log me in
Can GraphicsEnabler be the problem?
Thanks!!
Yes, it can cause problem.
In your org.chameleon.boot.plist set GraphicsEnabler to Yes and add these lines:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4-5</string> Depends on how many ports you have on the card.

Are you using DVI, right? 1 of the 2 DVIs is not working, just for warning.

Mate94 thanks for the info! as your signature says I try to lurk as much as I can, but this is all new to me. if there is a GPU acceleration guide for newbies let me know :D

Yes I use DVI, both ports because I have 2 screens. Both work fine with their native resolution.. So I wonder what you mean with one not working.
I'll add the keys/strings to the org.chameleon.boot.plist and will report back!

waaa I guess I understand what you meant with 1 DVI port not working. I've set GraphicsEnabler to Yes and added the lines and can now boot successfully with no hangups on the white screen.
But now one of my DVI ports doesn't work (not that much of a problem, I can use the DisplayPort port) and when I launch CS6 I still get the greyed out "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" option.
So... more of a disadvantage to me that a benefit. Right?
xoxo

OH! in other news: in About this Mac it shows the graphic card correctly, not 6xxx but 6870 :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-09 at 3.34.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-09 at 3.34.32 PM.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,102

This is exactly what I was looking for, did you get the option un-greyed out yet? And both DVI ports working?

c00lbeans said:
I read that one guy added his HD 5770 to the opencl_supported_cars.txt file in the contents folder of the app package and it worked. I tried it but could not get it to work.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Artic ... S5-faq.htm

If anyone can get this to work. let me know.

Dude, why would adding anything to a txt file have any kind of affect on anything? It's a damn text file, that's it... o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back