Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately all of the following VM applications are currently failing to start a Linux (or any other) VM:
  • VMWare Fusion 10.x
  • VMWare Fusion 11.x
  • VMWare Fusion 12.x
  • VirtualBox 6.1 latest Test Build with Extension Pack
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.08.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-24 at 3.11.18 PM.png

Unfortunately all of the following VM applications are currently failing to start a Linux (or any other) VM:
Hi, Casey.

VMware Fusion does not work? You mean on Big Sur in general, or on Ryzen in particular?

If VMware Fusion 10 - 12 all fail on a Ryzen machine running Catalina / Big Sur then it is most likely a Ryzen problem.

Perhaps the software requires Intel CPU specific features?

Last edited:
Hi All,
This is a great thread, very much appreciate all the info and effort going into this. By pure chance I have almost exactly the same setup, but with one important difference: I use the bluetooth and wifi that comes with the motherboard, Intel AX200, and both works very well with the latest `itlwm` kext. Just thought I'd let people know.

Cheers!

Hi, Casey.

VMware Fusion does not work? You mean on Big Sur in general, or on Ryzen in particular?

If VMware Fusion 10 - 12 all fail on a Ryzen machine running Catalina / Big Sur then it is most likely a Ryzen problem.

Perhaps the software requires Intel CPU specific features?
I've read that some older versions of VMWare Fusion such as 11.4 or 11.5 work on Ryzen under Catalina, although I've not independently verified this. I should try this on my Ryzen Catalina system (ASRock X570 Taichi) soon...

Hi All,
This is a great thread, very much appreciate all the info and effort going into this. By pure chance I have almost exactly the same setup, but with one important difference: I use the bluetooth and wifi that comes with the motherboard, Intel AX200, and both works very well with the latest `itlwm` kext. Just thought I'd let people know.

Cheers!
What has been your experience thus far with Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi? Namely:
  • Does WiFi reactivate after wake-from-sleep?
  • What WiFi speeds are you getting for Download? (www.speedtest.net)
  • Can you connect all of your Bluetooth devices?
  • Do Bluetooth devices resume properly after wake-from-sleep?

Last edited:

Here's the edit I used for vmWare before to get VMware to open. This was used on a Catalina Hackintosh to get past the failed to power up error. This edit was done by editing the plist before starting the VM. I also moved the file from the folder to desktop did the edit then replaced. Used Textedit.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 12.50.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 12.50.10 PM.png
    439.6 KB · Views: 107
@Inqnuam altered me yesterday to a new Kernel Quirk coming in OpenCore 0.6.3 called ForceSecureBootScheme. This seems to be specific to macOS 11, so it may be relevant. However, whether it makes a difference on Ryzen-based systems is another matter. But we must first ensure that VMs will run on macOS 11 (even on Intel CPUs).

ForceSecureBoot OC 063.png

What has been your experience thus far with Intel Bluetooth and Intel WiFi? Namely:
  • Does WiFi reactivate after wake-from-sleep?

Yes, flawlessly. One annoyance is that it tends to prefer the 2Ghz version. Worked around that by unchecking "Auto Join" for that network in Heliport.

Not great: ~27Mbps down and ~16Mbps up. On wired I get ~900 both ways.

• Can you connect all of your Bluetooth devices?

I have issues with my G915 TKL, but all other BT devices work very well (trackpad and headphones).

• Do Bluetooth devices resume properly after wake-from-sleep?

Yes, no issues there.

Hi...

have a question about AMD systems.
Compared to your system based on Gigabyte Z490 Vision D, how much difference in terms of smoothness and reliability there is between the two platforms?
Does it make a big difference to run AMD once the system is implemented?
Are updates as easy and without worries as on an Intel system?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back