Contribute
Register

Ongoing Progress - Big Sur on Gigabyte B550 Vision D - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Thunderbolt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @CaseySJ , I appreciate your work on this project. I'm also interested on building a ryzentosh with the same mobo and the Ryzen 5000 series. Since I have a lot of VMs with VMWare Fusion 12 (VMs with Windows OS), I'm wondering if there are any problems regarding running and using a VM? Is the AMD-v correct detected and used? Thanks a lot. Great work

Last edited:
Hi @CaseySJ , I appreciate your work on this project. I'm also interested on building a ryzentosh with the same mobo and the Ryzen 5000 series. Since I have a lot of VMs with VMWare Fusion 12 (VMs with Windows OS), I'm wondering if there are any problems regarding running and using a VM? Is the AMD-v correct detected and used? Thanks a lot. Great work
Hello @tsanko.dimitrov,

I downloaded and installed VMWare Fusion 12 Player (v12.0.0) and:
  • Created a Kubuntu 20.10 VM
  • Set BIOS --> SVM --> Enabled (for Virtualization)
  • Because this is an AMD system, DisableIOMapper is already checked OFF and there is no dart=0 in Boot Arguments.
However, the VM does not start:
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.16.48 PM.png

From Virtual Machine --> Settings --> Compatibility, I tried various Hardware Versions from 10 to 18, but none of them works.
Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 12.19.39 PM.png

I am facing the same problem as you. I'm going to switch from an Intel i9 9900k to an AMD Ryzen 3950X. I use specific Windows programs on the virtual machine. I currently also use VMware Fusion in Big Sur. I read that Virtualbox should work with AMD. Maybe this is a solution to convert VMware images to Virtual box and use it.

Did you try with Set BIOS --> SVM --> Enabled (for Virtualization) Disabled?
Yes tried both. This motherboard (BIOS F10) offers few options for CPU settings.

I am facing the same problem as you. I'm going to switch from an Intel i9 9900k to an AMD Ryzen 3950X. I use specific Windows programs on the virtual machine. I currently also use VMware Fusion in Big Sur. I read that Virtualbox should work with AMD. Maybe this is a solution to convert VMware images to Virtual box and use it.
I also read that VirtualBox work on AMD CPUs and may be this is the only one solution to our saga as you wrote. Parallels and VMWare are using the Apple Hypervisor API (Intel VT-x) only (may be that's why CaseySJ can't even run the VM). We don't know how the performance of VirtualBox on AMD is. Maybe it's too early to switch to AMD for now, regarding this issue with the VMs. For me they are very important and for now I all will stay with my 7700K till it's more clear. I miss the preformance of AMD, I'm tired of my quad core 7700K. For the same power consumtion and termals I can get as double or more with AMD.

Last edited:
Yes tried both. This motherboard (BIOS F10) offers few options for CPU settings.
I had a similar error when BS came out. I had to edit the info.plist for VMWare. Have you tried that? I had to add the symbios and ID. Mac Model and Mac ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back