Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Pro X58A-UD3R-2.0 Install Guide (OLD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official CustoMac Pro X58A-UD3R-2.0 Install Guide 10-27

edwardo said:
Hi Tony and Team,

I followed the procedure outlined by TonyMac, but I was forced to install Snow Leopard using the -x (safe mode option) as it was crashing otherwise.

Now the OS Kernel will only run in 32 bit mode!

I have tried forcing 64 loading using a variety of methods including holding down the 4 + 6 keys, changing the com.apple.Boot.plist, etc etc. without success!

I noticed the EFI32 flag in the registry, instead of being EFI64, and I realise this could be the problem.

Please help?

I have:-
GA-X58A-UD3R , REV 2, FB
Core i7-950
GeForce GTS450
4GB RAM
1 TERABYTE Seagate
thanks

Edwardo
Holding the 6 and 4 keys only work on a real Mac. Are you modifying com.apple.Boot.plist on /Extra?

Hi again!

I just buyed an i7-950, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz CL7, a GV-R577SL-1GD, a WD1002FAEX (1tb black 6gb/s western digital) and a sata DVD burner Samsung SH-S223L/Bebe.

downloaded iboot, and buyed the Snow Leopard Retail you linked to.. (though from apple norway)

iboot starts, but when I insert the SL Retail, press F5, and select the osX install, it doesnt work! I get this ACPI error: panic (cpu 0 caller 0x55bfa5).. I did setup the bios as you told aswell, and have tried with FA, FB and FC bios version! and changed the sata cables from the dvd and hd, in all possible combinations... but nothing! (first tried in 4gb but also with only 2..nothing)

What can I do?... is there something I can do??

I buyed this pc to run osX!

edwardo said:
I now have 12 Gigs of RAM (though I built the OS with 4 Gigs),

unfortunately I need to run 64 bit Kernel for VMware Fusion.

so strange that the EFI32 was not set to EFI64 by the installer. I wonder if this is a side effect of installing using the "-x" option!

To check if your 64 bit boot flag has worked - please open "System Profiler" and go down to Software on the lefthand side and click that title and check what the line
"64 Bit kernel and extensions" says: Yes

Beni79 said:
Hi again!

I just buyed an i7-950, GA-X58A-UD3R, 6gb ddr3 1600mhz CL7, a GV-R577SL-1GD, a WD1002FAEX (1tb black 6gb/s western digital) and a sata DVD burner Samsung SH-S223L/Bebe.

downloaded iboot, and buyed the Snow Leopard Retail you linked to.. (though from apple norway)

iboot starts, but when I insert the SL Retail, press F5, and select the osX install, it doesnt work! I get this ACPI error: panic (cpu 0 caller 0x55bfa5).. I did setup the bios as you told aswell, and have tried with FA, FB and FC bios version! and changed the sata cables from the dvd and hd, in all possible combinations... but nothing! (first tried in 4gb but also with only 2..nothing)

What can I do?... is there something I can do??

I buyed this pc to run osX!

What version of iBoot are you using?

Also I installed my machine using 6GB of RAM and I think iBoot now forces that only 4GB is detected but try taking out two of your RAM sticks just in case.

Have you followed the setup guide per Lnx2Mac:
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/p/perfect-hackintosh.html

Key things to check:
- What SATA ports did you plug the Hard Drive and DVD Drive into - please put them in the Blue SATA connectors -Connect the HDD to SATA2_0, and the DVD to SATA2_1 (the two blue SATA ports closest to the RAM slots - check your manual for which is 0 and which is 1)
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/06/fin ... build.html

- Disconnect any other hard drives that you have from any other of the SATA ports

- Go into your BIOS - load optimised defaults - reboot - then:
- Integrated Peripherals - Select ACHI on the first SATA chip set and disable the others for now (just in case they are giving you any funny errors)
- Power Management Set Up - enable HPET and set it to 64 bit mode
- Reboot again
- Advanced BIOS Features - Set Hard Disk boot priority to one your one SATA HD and set boot devices one to your HD and disable boot devices 2 and 3
- Reboot
- Press F12 after the reboot to get the Boot Menue
- Select your DVD drive and boot into iBoot
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/opt ... ation.html

There are quite a lot of other settings in that optimal BIOS settings guide but the most important ones to get you off the ground and installing OSX are:
- drives set to ACHI
- HPET enabled and set to 64 bit mode

The rest will help with sleep and get your machine running at full speed but for now optimised defaults and those settings will help. Also disabling your other SATA ports is just for now - until you get OSX installed but I don't think that will make much difference.

I hope this helps.

If you still have issues then I'd maybe try a Linux boot CD to check that there aren't any major hardware build issues then onto Memtest86+ and Prime95 to further check your hardware build.

So, has anyone enabled 64bit on this configuration using the Apple OEM HD 5770 "Hoolock" card?

If so how did you do it?

splat_matt said:
So, has anyone enabled 64bit on this configuration using the Apple OEM HD 5770 "Hoolock" card?

If so how did you do it?

I don't have one but I would guess ...

Remove ATI_Init.kext from S/L/E using Finder and put it in Trash and the repair permissions / rebuild cache.

Using MutliBeast install Kabyl boot file, reboot and at the Chameleon Screen, press down to stop the count down then type:

-v AtiFb= Hoolock

This will boot in verbose mode and also with the "Hoolock" framebuffer.
The advantage of the Chameleon screen is that you can try all of the different frame buffers if that one doesn't work. Once you have found one that works you can add to your boot.plist in /E

<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string> or what every framebuffer does work for you.

Note also by adding "-v" you can see on the first page of Chameleon text about half way down it should briefly flash up with the ATI card and in brackets the frame buffer that has been applied to check that it is working properly.

Once working in 32 bit mode - I'd then make your boot.plist = 64 bit using MultiBeast or changing the string - note that if you use MultiBeast to update your boot.plist then you will need to manually add the "AtiFb" key and string above.

notshy said:
splat_matt said:

If so how did you do it?

Remove ATI_Init.kext from S/L/E using Finder and put it in Trash and the repair permissions / rebuild cache.

Using MutliBeast install Kabyl boot file, reboot and at the Chameleon Screen, press down to stop the count down then type:

-v AtiFb= Hoolock

The advantage of the Chameleon screen is that you can try all of the different frame buffers if that one doesn't work. Once you have found one that works you can add to your boot.plist in /E

<key>AtiFb</key>

Note also by adding "-v" you can see on the first page of Chameleon text about half way down it should briefly flash up with the ATI card and in brackets the frame buffer that has been applied to check that it is working properly.

Once working in 32 bit mode - I'd then make your boot.plist = 64 bit using MultiBeast or changing the string - note that if you use MultiBeast to update your boot.plist then you will need to manually add the "AtiFb" key and string above.

That fills in some blanks, thanks.

Question:
So do you need to install the boot file like mentioned in "EXPERIMENTAL ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide" or need to provide a bios file of your rom?

They way I see it happening from going to from a 32 bit running version:

Advanced Options -> Chameleon -> Check "Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental

Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> Check "64-bit Apple Boot Screen

Update com.apple.boot.plist with string:

<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

Between what strings should this be placed or does it not matter?

Then your done?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ioreg_from_Nighter_Pt2.zip
    412.9 KB · Views: 72

splat_matt said:
notshy said:
[quote="splat_matt":2flvu53h]So, has anyone enabled 64bit on this configuration using the Apple OEM HD 5770 "Hoolock" card?

If so how did you do it?

-v AtiFb= Hoolock

<key>AtiFb</key>

That fills in some blanks, thanks.

Question:
So do you need to install the boot file like mentioned in "EXPERIMENTAL ATI 5770 GraphicsEnabler=Yes: Guide" or need to provide a bios file of your rom?

They way I see it happening from going to from a 32 bit running version:

Advanced Options -> Chameleon -> Check "Chameleon 2.0 RC5 - ATI Experimental

Advanced Options -> com.apple.boot.plist -> Check "64-bit Apple Boot Screen

Update com.apple.boot.plist with string:

<key>AtiFb</key>
<string>Hoolock</string>

Between what strings should this be placed or does it not matter?

Then your done?

Thanks![/quote:2flvu53h]

You don't need the experiemental boot file - this Kabyl boot file superceeds that one and MultiBeast should install it over the top of the old one you had.

I use the 5770 which boots using Vervet which is the default of the Kabyl boot file anyway.

From a 32 bit I would do it step by step rather than doing it all in one go - so that you can isolate what is working and what isn't if it goes wrong.

First remove ATI_Init from S/L/E and repair permissions.

Then MutliBeast to install Kabyl boot and tick 32 bit boot.plist.

Then reboot and use the text I said at the Chameleon screen. The reason for this is:
a) You can then see if the right frame buffer is being applied
b) If that framebuffer doesn't work you can easily change to a new one without having to use iBoot to get back into your system

Then once that works you can then add the correct framebuffer to your boot.plist.

Once that is working then I would change your boot.plist to 64 bit - once you know that everything else is working. You may have some kexts or some other things in your system that aren't 64 bit compatible and it's best to make sure that you've installed the Kabyl boot file OK first and it is picking the right framebuffer (looking at verbose comments) and then once that's working go 64 bit.

The alternative is to do it all at once but then if it doesn't work you'll have to go back through everything one by one to isolate it.

notshy said:
Once that is working then I would change your boot.plist to 64 bit - once you know that everything else is working. You may have some kexts or some other things in your system that aren't 64 bit compatible and it's best to make sure that you've installed the Kabyl boot file OK first and it is picking the right framebuffer (looking at verbose comments) and then once that's working go 64 bit.

The alternative is to do it all at once but then if it doesn't work you'll have to go back through everything one by one to isolate it.

That did it! Thanks, check the system profiler and I'm running 64 bit sweet! Now I need to buy more RAM.

Nice to not have to use the ATY_init kext I think it slowed things down.

Did a Windows 7 system rating via VMware Fusion 3.1.1 - went from a 4.5 to 5.9 overall changing graphicsenabler=yes and 64bit.

macman update post first---

fresh install with 10.6.5???

steps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back