Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Guys!
Tell me, please, about of this configuration^
SilverStone SUGO SG06B Black 300W
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 650Mhz PCI-E 2.1 1024Mb 1800Mhz
500GB Western Digital WD5000AZRX

Set prefer CPU:
Intel Core i5-2405S box
or
Intel Core i5-2500 box
or
Intel Core i5-2500K box
Tnx!

bc24 said:
Toleda, is there a way to meld together the DSDT from this link: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50063
that fixes sleep issues, with the DSDT you posted (in tuneup kit 4) that gives HD3000 HDMI audio? That way we could see if the sleep issues are fixed. I haven't really noticed any in my setup yet, but others may.
Available soon.

yurez54 said:
Hello Guys!
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

Set prefer CPU:
Intel Core i5-2405S box
or
Intel Core i5-2500 box
or
Intel Core i5-2500K box
Tnx!

I'm doing very fine on i5-2500K; guess, that no big difference between "your" Sapphire and "my" Asus GPU, as both have same chipset HD5570;

see my user-build-post => viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50624
maybe also my attached checklists there

dessi said:
yurez54 said:
Hello Guys!
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

Set prefer CPU:
Intel Core i5-2405S box
or
Intel Core i5-2500 box
or
Intel Core i5-2500K box
Tnx!

I'm doing very fine on i5-2500K; guess, that no big difference between "your" Sapphire and "my" Asus GPU, as both have same chipset HD5570;

see my user-build-post => viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50624
maybe also my attached checklists there

Cool!
what is the average temperature of the CPU?
How much cooler on the processor speed?
You enabled HDMI audio on the ASUS GPU?

And what about Antec SpotCool System Cooler?
how noisy it is?
decibels as stated?

yurez54 said:
Hello Guys!
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3

Set prefer CPU:
Intel Core i5-2405S box
or
Intel Core i5-2500 box
or
Intel Core i5-2500K box
Tnx!

"500GB Western Digital WD5000AZRX"
This is one of the 'Advanced Format' (with 4k sectors instead of 512byte sectors) that all seem to give problems when installing Chimera / Chameleon. In my sig I have a Seagate Momentus that is also 'Advanced Format' that I've spent the past week researching and finding numerous workarounds that are relatively complicated for a hackintosh noob to do compared to installing the rest of the system. If you're not comfortable working with Terminal, you might want to save yourself some headaches and buy a drive with 512byte sectors (which will most likely be a SATA3, not a SATA6 like the drive you picked- I think the WD5000AADS, which is not an 'Advanced Format' drive would work, but I haven't found the sector size listed anywhere yet) instead of an 'Advanced Format' drive until a Chimera installer that works with these drives becomes available.

So far, the simplest guide I've seen for doing this is here:

You might want to check it out ahead of time to see whether you feel comfortable with doing this. Also, I've heard others say that you can install Chimera correctedly on a drive with 4k sectors if you install it in an external USB enclosure, run the Chimera installer or MultiBeast on it then take it out of the USB enclosure and install it in the target computer. I'm pretty sure all of the above applies to Chameleon also, judging by the many threads about Chameleon with the same problem.

Hope that others here will add their own knowledge/experience to the forums... this problem will become more and more widespread now that manufacturers are ramping up their new drive lines. I'm moderately comfortable with some Terminal work, but a lot of the instructions I've read online assume that the reader is very familier with Terminal and leave out a lot details that noobs would not already know.

Just completed the update to 10.7.3. Everything is fine.
As I was also looking for HD3000 artefacts fix, I moved from MacPro to Macmini SMBIOS file.

Today, watching a movie in Plex, I discovered some artefacts (almost every second)

I went back to MacPro and artefacts are gone. So I came to the same conclusion than in my previous post when completing the 10.7.2 installation: moving to MacPro SMBIOS file solved artefacts.

Is this real fix or just conjunction with something else I do not know, but it worked for me.

A friend give me a Sapphire 5770 vapor-x to try in my system.
I don't edit org.chameleon.Boot.plist (with graphicsenabler=Yes) and runs oob (CI/QE)
I change graphicsenabler=No and runs fine too.
I change the smbios from Mac Mini to iMac 12,1 and runs fine too.
Geekbench with HD3000: 7265
Geekbench with 5570: 733n5
Cinebench with HD3000: 12 fps
Cinebench with 5770: 39 fps
I use the displayport.
The only problem is that the chameleon (chimera) boot doesn't match the resolution (graphics mode is in boot.plist). With HD3000 boots at 1920x1200x32 fine and Ati boots at 1600x1200x32
Any suggestion?

SOLVED!

For some odd reason, I am able to boot PERFECTLY by powering on with HDMI not plugged into my TV, waiting ~5seconds, plugging in, and letting boot.

I also had to adjust a setting on my TV to "Full Pixel" in order to connect a PC into HDMI rather than the VGA input and maintain the proper resolution.

Ideally I'd be able to boot without plugging/unplugging HDMI, but I will certainly take it. I'm not on 10.7.3 but I'll take 10.7.1, as I'm only using it as a media server.

Anyway thanks everyone for all the support.

yurez54 said:
dessi said:
yurez54 said:
Hello Guys!

I'm doing very fine on i5-2500K ...

Cool!
what is the average temperature of the CPU?
How much cooler on the processor speed?
You enabled HDMI audio on the ASUS GPU?

And what about Antec SpotCool System Cooler?
how noisy it is?
decibels as stated?

average CPU-Temp on my daily use 35 - 55 Celsius;
no hdmi audio; I use the green audio jack;
see my comments in my user-build-post
=> viewtopic.php?f=54&t=50624

I would not recommend my build for HTPC; definitely too noisy because of the fans (psu, case, stock i5, antec)

Hey I just picked up a new crucial m4 SSD and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this drive on the macmini build? I am currently running 10.7.3 on the ga h67 board. I am most likely going to do a clean install but just curious if there are any other setting i need to be aware of when installing to a SSD vs a regular hard drive. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back