Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposted because I may not have posted in the right forum... I think I may have bricked my system.

Well damn. I bought all the parts to build the mac mini last weekend. It finally came in the mail yesterday and this morning I started putting everything together.

I'm using the following hardward:

Gigabyte H61N-USB3 motherboard
Corsair 120gig SSDH
CD drive

I got everything hooked up this morning and was able to install Snow Leopard with iboot without any issues. Then I ran update helper, downloaded the 10.6.8 Combo Update, ran multibeast.. Right now i can't even remember what order I did all of this in, but it didn't work. When I booted without the iboot disc I had trouble with graphics. I could only get the monitor to come on with the DVI cable, and for some reason the network (internet) was no longer working. So I decided to start over.

I booted with iboot, switched the Snow Leopard DVD, and reinstalled Snow Leopard. And here is where I think I really screwed up. The desktop came back just as it was before, even with my DSDT file on the desktop. So I opened up multibeast again, installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update but didn't reboot, and then ran multibeast with the DSDT selection and checked off the boxes as show in the official mac mini blog post, but I forgot to run updatehelper first.. I then rebooted and when I did, saw something that said "updating firmware" when it was restarting.. then the screen went blank.

Now when I start the computer I cannot get any graphics. Nothing. I've tried analog and DVI, and different monitors. i have no idea what the f**K I did, but I'm hoping I didn't just ruin a motherboard.

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm just upset. Any ideas?

EastCoast said:
Reposted because I may not have posted in the right forum... I think I may have bricked my system.

Well damn. I bought all the parts to build the mac mini last weekend. It finally came in the mail yesterday and this morning I started putting everything together.

I'm using the following hardward:

Gigabyte H61N-USB3 motherboard
Corsair 120gig SSDH
CD drive

I got everything hooked up this morning and was able to install Snow Leopard with iboot without any issues. Then I ran update helper, downloaded the 10.6.8 Combo Update, ran multibeast.. Right now i can't even remember what order I did all of this in, but it didn't work. When I booted without the iboot disc I had trouble with graphics. I could only get the monitor to come on with the DVI cable, and for some reason the network (internet) was no longer working. So I decided to start over.

I booted with iboot, switched the Snow Leopard DVD, and reinstalled Snow Leopard. And here is where I think I really screwed up. The desktop came back just as it was before, even with my DSDT file on the desktop. So I opened up multibeast again, installed the 10.6.8 Combo Update but didn't reboot, and then ran multibeast with the DSDT selection and checked off the boxes as show in the official mac mini blog post, but I forgot to run updatehelper first.. I then rebooted and when I did, saw something that said "updating firmware" when it was restarting.. then the screen went blank.

Now when I start the computer I cannot get any graphics. Nothing. I've tried analog and DVI, and different monitors. i have no idea what the f**K I did, but I'm hoping I didn't just ruin a motherboard.

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm just upset. Any ideas?
On SL the HD3000 is not working...
Make again the SL install, make on it an Unibeast pendrive.

Mate94 said:

The problem is I got no graphics...at all! I can't see anything, not even enough to reinstall SL. Should I restore CMOS values on the motherboard? This is so strange. I can't imagine when I did wrong to do this.

EastCoast said:
Mate94 said:

The problem is I got no graphics...at all! I can't see anything, not even enough to reinstall SL. Should I restore CMOS values on the motherboard? This is so strange. I can't imagine when I did wrong to do this.
Just install the SL again, no Combo Update, MB etc. Make the Unibeast pendrive and that's all.

Mate94 said:
EastCoast said:
Mate94 said:

Just install the SL again, no Combo Update, MB etc. Make the Unibeast pendrive and that's all.

I guess I'm not being clear, my apologies. When I start up my computer, I can't see anything, not even enough to get into the BIOS or anything. So I'm not sure how I could install SL without being able to see when I'm doing. To be clear, the problem I'm having isn't just when I try to boot into SL.

So it looks like I need to do something to restore my motherbord to the factory settings, but I'm not sure how to do this. The motherboard instructions say that I can reset the CMOS values, but I'm not sure if this will help.. do you think it's worth a shot?

Reinstall it! How many times I have to say it? :problem: When you want to install the Combo Update and run Multibeast again, don't do anything, just make the Unibeast. Got it?

Anyone else having trouble with the apple magic trackpad lagging at times? Don't know how to fix. Maybe it's my Bluetooth? My Bluetooth apple wireless keyboard works fine. Also when I plug in a USB mouse it works fine. Any help would be great :)

Just finished up my install, everything was incredibly easy with one exception. I have no video output on HDMI2. If I plug a monitor into hdmi1 and hdmi2 and boot up the bios displays on hdmi2 fine. Once it gets to the screen with the apple and circling status the hdmi2 screen freezes and then everything moves onto hdmi1 and hdmi2 gets no signal. I'm sure Im missing something simple but I searched havent had any luck. Any suggestions? Everything looks normal on hdmi1 but of course i have no audio.

I used all the suggested parts including the h67n.

I just changed from the original APEX case to the SILVERSTONE Sugo Series SG05BB-450 and I am much happier except I did not realize that you can't use a full size DVD drive in this case. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me if they have used this Sony Optiarc drive and if it works with this build?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827118064

Thanks,

MacNewGuy

Hi

I have a very strange issue when cutting down the power and rebooting.

I have a GA-H61N-USB3 bios F1 with Lion 7.2 and the CMOS patch: everthing is fine, sleep, wake up, shutdown, reboot, etc as long I keep the PSU on power.

If, during the night for ex, I cut the power (the hackintosh, the TV and the HIFI are all plugged on a box a global switch (I do not know how this is named in English)) then when I try to boot again, the light is on for one second then it shutdown. All led on the keyboard are on.
I have to cut again the power on the PSU, put it on again and try again pushing the front power on button: on the second try, the MB wake up with a menu asking wich config I should choose with the "last known good" as being suggested: if I push enter, then it reboot but with an incomplete CMOS setup (for ex the time is set to Jan 1 2011 and the boot logo is enable, rest seems ok (HPT64, AHCI)).
So I enter the BIOS, check all the config, set date and time and then it boot correctly on Lion.

So it looks like the CMOS setup is altered when I cut the power. Any suggestion?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back