Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I went for the exact same build with the H67N but with a SATA disk and apart from a few glitches along the way (mostly trial and error) everything appears to be fine. I have an HP 2159m HDMI monitor and 1080p worked without the need for Multibeast although I have run that with default settings to sort out the little nuances. That monitor also has a speaker output (green connector) and I can get sound through it without tuneup kit. I couldnt get HDMI sound to work though despite trying the HDIM DSDT and on a 2nd try the tune-up kit. But anyway, it seems to be working fairly well but as yet I havent tried it for any length of time.

A couple of questions:

I bought the Edimax wireless dongle and used driver RTL8188CUS. After about 15 minutes the wireless stopped working although it still showed it was connected to my wireless. I replictaed the issue 3 times. I then deleted the LAN port from system preferences > Network and wireless began working again. Anyone else had this? Any obvious reason?

Not sure this question will go down well, but I have a spare SATA disk, can I get the Hackintosh to a position where I can choose which hard disk to boot from eg, 2 seperate installations of Apple or one with Windows installed on it? So that would mean editing Chimera in some way. I guess I could use iBoot but would prefer to do it from startup / bootloader.

Thanks (btw I read all the pages on this particular topic :D - wore me out but was worth it)

Quick question in regards to the sound kexts as part of the v4 tune up kit. I looked at the configuration pictures shown and for whatever reason the profile I get is for the Front Panel Audio Connector. I don't have a front panel audio connector.

Is there any way to switch so instead of using line out on the back of my comp I can use the green sound out? I'm getting some pops right before sound starts using the line-out.

Other than this everything with the tune up kit works flawlessly.

Thanks in advance

Mate94 said:
The H61N-USB3 has Fresco USB3 chip, which is unsupported. You have deal with it or wait for a kext.
Yeah. I have an 8-port hub that takes care of most things, but for Bluetooth/WiFi, I'm thinking about an internal hub.
The tearing and the artifacts are the HD3000's fault. Maybe the 10.7.3 will come with better drivers, but there's no guarantee.
Not so much in this case. I've booted the box into Linux and I get the same bright pixels. Better drivers are always appreciated, but I think there's something else going on since I've seen this with two boards and two operating systems. My needs aren't too terribly demanding, so a new monitor or GPU should fix things.

willmann817 said:
I plan on purchasing all the compatible parts to build the customac mini. Can I use the "UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive" without having to update the BIOS? Also will I need to change the BIOS setting from SATA to AHCI?

Thanks a bunch.

willmann817

You *did* read the very first post in this thread, right?

mikerf12 said:
Quick question in regards to the sound kexts as part of the v4 tune up kit. I looked at the configuration pictures shown and for whatever reason the profile I get is for the Front Panel Audio Connector. I don't have a front panel audio connector.

Is there any way to switch so instead of using line out on the back of my comp I can use the green sound out? I'm getting some pops right before sound starts using the line-out.

Other than this everything with the tune up kit works flawlessly.

Thanks in advance
I am not clear on what you see on your system. In System Preferences/Sound/Output, you should see Internal Speakers. That is the green port on your motherboard. If you don't set Internal Speakers, please reply with a screenshot of what you see.

I have the exact [CustoMac Mini 2011] Build.

mobo= GA-H67N-USB3-B3 (rev. 1.0)
cpu= Intel Core i3-2105
ram= CORSAIR 8GB DDR3
case and power supply= APEX MI-008 Mini-ITX
HDD= 750GB Seagate

This is what I did:

In Bios I set:

- Loaded Optimized Defaults
-HPET 64 bit mode
-SATA to AHCI mode
-"384mb +2 for GTT" for "On-Chip Frame Buffer Size"
(i'm guessing is the same as as "shared video RAM" option as described in the first post)

Question: Do i really need to "Update your BIOS to F7"? Isn't this already loaded on the motherboard?

I install Lion 10.7 Via a USB stick.

I place this file on my desktop (DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI.aml) & Run MultiBeast w/ these settings (download/file.php?id=14736)

& Restart the compter.

When I boot without using "Safe Mode" It actually works, but the computer runs reeaally slowly.

How would I fix that? Or what can i do different so that this doesn't happen?

How do I go about Updating the "Lion 10.7.2 Combo Update" from here?

When I run the 10.7.2. combo Update & restart from "Safe Mode" it gives me this screen:
file.php

After somebody gets me through this, I suppose I will then use the Kexts & DSDT file located in the "CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - version 4".

Your Help is Appreciated, It has taking me 2 days to get to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
willmann817 said:
I plan on purchasing all the compatible parts to build the customac mini. Can I use the "UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive" without having to update the BIOS? Also will I need to change the BIOS setting from SATA to AHCI?

Thanks a bunch.

willmann817

Yes you can use the Unibeast method. Note: you will have to save the install file that the app store downloads and put it in your applications folder and create the thumb drive BEFORE you update to lion. im not sure if apple allows you to redownload it like they do your other purchased apps. and yes you will have to change your hard drive to AHCI. very easy to do, just hold down the delete key that is in the page up/down cluster (i have the mac keyboard. whatever you do just forget about trying to use the sleep function. i have tried every workaround and .kext listed in these forums and had to do a complete teardown and reflash of my bios a couple days ago. took me about 9 hrs to finally get everything working again, i thought my motherboard was toast. i have everything else working flawlessly using the tuneup kit v3.

Scrumpit said:

cpu= Intel Core i3-2105
ram= CORSAIR 8GB DDR3
HDD= 750GB Seagate

This is what I did:

In Bios I set:

-HPET 64 bit mode
-SATA to AHCI mode
(i'm guessing is the same as as "shared video RAM" option as described in the first post)

Question: Do i really need to "Update your BIOS to F7"? Isn't this already loaded on the motherboard?

I place this file on my desktop (DSDT-GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7-HDMI.aml) & Run MultiBeast w/ these settings (download/file.php?id=14736)

& Restart the compter.

When I boot without using "Safe Mode" It actually works, but the computer runs reeaally slowly.

What's the deal w/ that & How do I go about Updating the "Lion 10.7.2 Combo Update" without seeing this screen?
file.php

After somebody gets me through this, I suppose I will then use the Kexts & DSDT file located in the "CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - version 4".

yes, you really need to update to F7

Scrumpit said:

cpu= Intel Core i3-2105
ram= CORSAIR 8GB DDR3
HDD= 750GB Seagate

This is what I did:

In Bios I set:

-HPET 64 bit mode
-SATA to AHCI mode

& Restart the compter.

What's the deal w/ that & How do I go about Updating the "Lion 10.7.2 Combo Update" without seeing this screen?
file.php

use the .dsdt from the DSDT database for F7 instead of the one that you listed. you wont run into any problems. i do not use hdmi for audio though, i use optical out. i am pretty sure that you need to run the dsdt from the database first though. sounds like you should just do a clean install since your not running on the correct bios version anyways. best of luck.

Tony & MacMan:

Thank you so much for the effort you have invested in this terrific site. I'm using your CustoMac Mini guide now and wanted to point out that I got an error in the install log that said it was unable to find an internet connection. I don't know if it is significant but it went away when I reran with the system connected to my network.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back