Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ericdano said:
Hmm, this seems to be a problem with the Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 boards. I want to build a hackintosh, but I do need dual monitor support. I was leaning towards the aforementioned board, but.....

Is there another option that has dual video (Dvi or HDMI) that doesn't have graphics artifact problems?

I have this motherboard with 2 HDMI monitors.
No artifacts at all.
Only one problem. I have to switch off my monitor plugged in the HDMI under VGA when i start my PC, if not i got a KP...

guijarro_23 said:
No artifacts at all.
Only one problem. I have to switch off my monitor plugged in the HDMI under VGA when i start my PC, if not i got a KP...

Hmm. So is that when you have TWO monitors hooked up or just one or does it matter?

I'm strongly leaning towards this board/setup as a replacement to my 2006 iMac.

Hi all

I am thinking to build this setup and have few questions:
1/ APEX MI-008 case
For those who are using it, is it really quiet enought to be used as an HTPC (with an i3 as suggested or maybe with an i5)? Is the PSU Fan really quiet?

2/ display connection
I plan to first install this CustoMac connected on my LCD with VGA port only: will it work on VGA only ?
Then,when fully operational, I plan to connect it on y TV via HDMI.
Can I do this 2 steps installs ?

3/ The CustoMac will be connected on the TV via HDMI, so I plan to use sound over HDMI, and connected to my HIFI system for music using the SPDIF output.
Will it work ?

4/ I read there was some artefacts on HD3000 that were supposed to be solved with 10.7.2 update: is this the case ?

Thanks for your help and great work.

1) 10+ unsuccesful snow leopard updates to 10.6.8 (with update helper, chimera 1.5 AND 1.6) led me to 10.6.7 (only OS that works so far)
2) 5+ unsucessful attempts to update from 10.6.7 to Lion via Unibeast OR XMove
3) Now attempting a clean install of Lion using Unibeast and can't get to the installer from Chimera :/

GA-H67N-USB3 B3
i7 2600k 3.4ghz CPU
Optical Drive
4gb Corsair XM3 Ram
No graphics card (hoping for HD3000).

Troubleshooting I tried:
-Updated bios to F7.
-Single stick of RAM.
-Moved USB from case to MB (allowed unibeast to actually boot to chimera)
-Boot in -x, graphicsenabler=no

Attached a pic of where the OS freezes during load (right after Realtek ethernet loads)

Can't think of anything else.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 182
utsi said:
idezine123 said:
Scratch that, getting artifacting again. argh!
Earlier I wrote that repairing disk permissions helped, but now I'm not so sure. Different things have helped others, the only thing the fixes have in common, is that they require re-boot. I think re-booting helps, and in my case the problems seem to have disappeared by themselves over time. Do some re-booting and give your system some time to settle in, maybe a week or so.

Interesting, I will try it. Seems like yes it does need to settle in as I haven't spent much time on it.
Thanks.

Have you tried to install Lion from a flash drive? When I decided to upgrade from SL to lion, I went right from 10.6.2 to 10.6.8 and then used xmove to go to Lion. The guide was very helpful.

Also, I wasn't quite clear of the steps to take for a sandy bridge so I asked in the forums. This was the advice I got and it worked great.

"I'm not sure I exactly understand everything you said. Have you tried this process already, or are you just listing the steps that you plan to take?

You don't have to use Update Helper if you don't update to 10.6.8. You can still update to Lion from 10.6.7. If you want to update to 10.6.8, you have to run Update Helper before running the Combo Update.

To install Lion, run the Lion installation app, and choose your main partition, not your installer partition. Then, run xMove, and choose your Installer Partition.

Use Multibeast for Snow Leopard while running Snow Leopard, and use Multibeast for Lion when running Lion."

ericdano said:
guijarro_23 said:
No artifacts at all.

Hmm. So is that when you have TWO monitors hooked up or just one or does it matter?

I'm strongly leaning towards this board/setup as a replacement to my 2006 iMac.

No only the one under VGA port has to be off.

Hello world!!

Thx as usually to all users has posted their experiences making me conscious of all the problems of this setup.

I've made it through almost everything I need the only concern it's about the wake from sleep:

I can wake my hack mini from sleep double clicking mouse but once the system was back I've to unplug and then replug my apple wired keyboard to make it work otherwise no sign of life.....Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance

zuzudom said:
Hello world!!

Thx as usually to all users has posted their experiences making me conscious of all the problems of this setup.

I've made it through almost everything I need the only concern it's about the wake from sleep:

I can wake my hack mini from sleep double clicking mouse but once the system was back I've to unplug and then replug my apple wired keyboard to make it work otherwise no sign of life.....Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance
I have the same problem with the apple wired keyboard. Another wired/wireless keyboard wakes fine.
If you ad darkwake=0 to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist you can wake with only one click.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back