Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success from me for this build:

Same components as tonymac's original

Gigabyte H67N USB3
Corei32105
8 GB Corsair RAM
Silverstone SG05 300Watt
Scythe Big Shuriken
500GB Seagate Barra
ASUS EZN Mini Wireless N adapter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Process:

Made a Lion 10.7 installer using unibeast
Downloaded DSDT for F5 (Not F7, I did not update BIOS [CBF])

Ran Multibeast (mistakenly) using same screenshots

Updated to 10.7.2

Ran Multibeast again (Bar the DSDT Install, figured I wouldn't need to)

Done!

Installed iWork, iLife, Aperture 3.0, ASUS EZ N Driver from ASUS Website, Acrobat X

- Did get artifacting at one point (After Adobe install). Updated all software via web (ethernet as I hadn't installed wireless driver at that point) and it seems to have gone.

Very, very rarely, I get a thin line through a programme's open window (e.g. iTunes) when I first open it, I then close it and restart the programme and it's gone.

It does rarely (not definitely) occur if I turn the display off and then on again.

I am using the primary HDMI port (under the DSUB connector) and running a 30" Dell at 1920x1200 (on board wont do 2560x1600). I am using 480+2 for the GPU output.

Artifacting theory from me: Its either a power surge (increase required for display output) or Heat related issue. The Scythe Big Shuriken is mammoth and does an awesome job of keeping everything cool and quiet.

I ordered a GT430 anyway (which would mean me removing the Shuriken to gain access to the PCI Express slot) but I am going to stow it and run this build until I am forced to change over to a Discrete GPU, right now I can't see this happening.

I haven't installed the tune up kit as the double press wake up doesn't bother me, unless someone knows where to/how to add the darkwake=0 string without me using the whole tuneup kit?????

_sl1nger

el_charlie said:
How did you managed to get the RTL8188CUS working??

I downloadede the drivers for Lion from Realtek site and they don't work.

Do I need the 10.6 drivers (for SL)???

Cheers!

In a very bizarre way...
After trying a lot of drivers I was about to call it quits, but I made a clean install and used the official Lion drivers from realtek web page.
After that (it didn't work only with this drivers, the system recognized the device, but no Internet), I installed "7811Un_MacOS10.6.X_Driver_v1003_UI_1.7.9" and then network utility that comes with the package can see the USB!

I do not remember where I downloaded the last one, try Edimax web page. If not, I can send you the file by email, it's only 2.2 mb.

[Edit 08:22] Link to the file: http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=328&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44

Update on my HD3000 issues:
I installed a Java update yesterday, and when I restarted this morning, the screen was barely viewable, it was full of artifacts. I fired up Multibeast and ran the System Utilities (Rebuild Caches and Repair Permissions). Restarted and everything was fine.

It seems that this system requires more maintenance than my other hackintosh. Is there any way to find the root cause, what should I look for in the logs?

toleda said:
toleda said:
Blakek96 said:
Is there another kext or something I'm missing that I need to change in Multibeast or something?
Thanks!
Instructions and edited files for the Sapphire HD 5570 will be available later today.
The Sapphire HD 5570 download is available at http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?p=209915#p209915

Ok... Toleda, Thanks for your efforts. I think I've officially gotten to the point where I'm raising the white flag. Here's where I've gotten...

I originally installed direct to Lion with xMove + Multibeast, installed the Tune Up Kit version 3 and got HDMI audio with the 3000 working and all was running ok but I had artifacts so I bought the Sapphire 5570 and installed it. Video worked out of the box but I wanted HDMI audio using the 5570. I am at the point now where I am probably getting myself confused by all the "how-to's" etc. out there and after attempting the edits listed at the above link didn't have success. I tried to follow the instructions under CustoMac Mini with AMD HD 5xxx or 6xxx HDMI Audio but during the edits it didn't match what I was seeing on my system.

I decided to do a fresh install because I figured that some of the edits I made to get the HD3000 working were probably messing things up for the 5570. So this time I installed using Unibeast. Next I ran Multibeast and installed the Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-F7 with HDMI audio DSDT and the Lnx2Mac driver. I did not install any of the audio options in Multibeast this time because I didn't want it to change the AppleHDA.Kext. (I noticed the first time that I tried to make the changes that my AppleHDA.Kext was version 1.7.9 or something but you mention that it needs to be version 2.1.x) I haven't installed the tune-up again yet but I certainly want the sleep, SpeedStep and other options that the kit provides but not the HD3000 audio.

So. Where do I go from here? Should I copy the dsdt.aml file from the customac_mini_sapphire_hd_5570_hdmi_audio download to the Extra Folder? I get lost in the section 2. Edit ATI5000Controller/ATI6000Controller per guide: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=32037

Since I'm using the 5570 are there additional edits that I need to do or not? I think I've turned my brain to mush trying to resolve this on my own so I'm reaching out for help.

Thanks

guijarro_23 said:
[quote="el_charlie":cau19g47]
How did you managed to get the RTL8188CUS working??

I downloadede the drivers for Lion from Realtek site and they don't work.

Do I need the 10.6 drivers (for SL)???

Cheers!

In a very bizarre way...
After trying a lot of drivers I was about to call it quits, but I made a clean install and used the official Lion drivers from realtek web page.
After that (it didn't work only with this drivers, the system recognized the device, but no Internet), I installed "7811Un_MacOS10.6.X_Driver_v1003_UI_1.7.9" and then network utility that comes with the package can see the USB!

I do not remember where I downloaded the last one, try Edimax web page. If not, I can send you the file by email, it's only 2.2 mb.

[Edit 08:22] Link to the file: http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/support_detail.php?pd_id=328&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=44[/quote:cau19g47]

Well,

I managed to make it work. I ran the uninstall command, restarted and then downloaded the 10.6 drivers from realtek's site and worked like a charm!

I still would want to do a hack to see the device as an airport to select the networks via the menu bar, but I think that's not gonna happen.

Cheers!

Blakek96 said:
So. Where do I go from here? Should I copy the dsdt.aml file from the customac_mini_sapphire_hd_5570_hdmi_audio download to the Extra Folder? I get lost in the section 2. Edit ATI5000Controller/ATI6000Controller per guide: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=32037

Since I'm using the 5570 are there additional edits that I need to do or not? I think I've turned my brain to mush trying to resolve this on my own so I'm reaching out for help.

Thanks
Let me make this easy, no kext editing required:
1. Fresh install of Lion 10.7.2 w/5570 installed
2. Run MultiBeast as shown in post #1 except audio (i.e., do not select any audio options)
3. Update org.chameleon.Boot.plist as noted sapphire_hd_5570_hdmi_audio Read_Me_First instructions (this is very important, otherwise boot results in black screen)
4. Reboot
5. Install CMM Tuneup Kit_v3 except AppleHDA.kext (per Read_Me_First instructions)
6. Install CMM sapphire_hd_5570_hdmi_audio (per Read_Me_First instructions)
7. Reboot
8. Verify System Preferences/Sound/Output/HDMI

In summary, your system should have the dsdt.aml in Extra and ATI5000Controller.kext in S/L/E from the sapphire_hd_5570_hdmi_audio download and a native AppleHDA.kext_v2.1.3 in S/L/E. Please note: the there will be no onboard audio. That can be installed later.

Is there any way to enable the VGA port?

First post here...

I just built the Customac Mini using the exact same components as the suggested build.
Flashed BIOS to F7
Made BIOS changes per instructions.
I bought and downloaded 10.7.2 from the app store.
Made a Unibeast thumbdrive
Booted system (it's currently installing with HDMI video working in installer)

So when it's done installing, do I:
Download and put the F7 HDMI DSDT onto desktop
Then run Multibeast with the options selected from the image on page 1?

or,

run Multibeast without userDSDT selected, and then run the tuneup kit with the new DSDT from the tuneup kit.

I'm just a little mixed up as the instructions are for 10.7.1.
Thanks.

Hi Peeps,

Just built my Mac Mini using the Hardware from this guide (no graphics card).

I have installed Snow Leopard fine and Combo Updated to 10.6.6

When using Multibeast I select everything in the screenshot on the first page apart from "Use KernelCache" as it seems to be missing?

The install goes fine but when I restart the system won't boot I just get the apple logo and thats it, no spinning circle or anything.

Anyone know what could be wrong? I am useing the correct DSDT for my BIOS r7 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back