Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: artifacts

I've built a system using a

i3-2125
8GB RAM
Apex MI-100 case

I installed Lion directly via rBoot and a USB key. At that point I don't remember seeing any artifacts, although to be honest I really didn't use it very long in that state. I installed the tune-up, and afterward saw a few artifacts appear later on. (Not that it's necessarily related). After lowering my voltage in the bios to just below the "normal" setting, they seem to have disappeared. The system is running dual monitor, and has been up for several days now and seems fine.

I actually have parts for 2 more systems on the way, so it will be interesting to see the results. Everything will be the same on them except the brand of ram.

The one thought I do have is just that since this "seems" to be voltage related (and there seems to be varying results even after bios adjustment), perhaps it's power supply related. With these el cheapo bargain case/ps deals, you can't exactly expect excellent regulation. Of course it does also bother me that the BIOS graphics setting goes to 480 rather then 512 as it seems to be expecting. Not sure if that's accounted for in some other way.(?)

Either way, I'll be adding two more to the test pool this weekend ;)

I'm about to buy the parts for the CustoMac Mini 2011, and I happened to find this RAM:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=752486&sku=C13-1007

It's not the exact one featured in the original build, but it seems to have the same specs. I'm a bit of a noob so just let me know if this will work, or if I'm just better off with the other one.

By the way, aside from the RAM all the other parts should be exactly the same.

Here's the one featured in the original build if you need to look at it:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-1333MHz-PC3-10666-240-pin-CMX4GX3M1A1333C9/dp/tech-data/B003ZDJ42O/ref=de_a_smtd

Thank you for your help

I have no graphics issues, only my USB3.0 doesnt work

I7-2600k
Gigabyte h67n usb3 b3 F7
8gb ram
80gb ssd

any fix for usb3?

For anyone still annoyed with sub par sound and the popping noise, I now have successfully used the ideas in http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143510 (modified for lion and just one output) to reroute the sound via sound flower through AUlab and its graphic equalizer and now my sound is perfect, way better than even my real macs.

I used this method on my last hack and its very nice to be able to tailor the sound for your specific speakers. Was actually a little easier to set up on Lion.

xequtor said:
how much slower will be this Mini-ITX system from one with a GB P55M-UD4 with 8GB ram and 9800 GT 1GB video card?
I don't use it for games or heavy video/photo edit, I may ue it to watch Movies on a Projector/50 inch TV.

I have right now a Lian-Li PC-V352 grate case but still to big, need something smaller like my original MacMini (have 2 C2D 2Ghz). Thx for help and inspiration.

This will actually be faster than that system clock for clock.

NewZJ said:
I have no graphics issues, only my USB3.0 doesnt work

I7-2600k
Gigabyte h67n usb3 b3 F7
8gb ram
80gb ssd

any fix for usb3?

I'm getting 70 MB/sec through the USB 3 ports on my H67N build. I'm using the USB 3 driver in MB 4.0.2

OK going nuts here so would REALLY appreciate the help.

I've been installing / wiping / installing / wiping from my 8 gig Install partition until I've gotten *just* the right setup. I actually ended up installing pretty vanilla, then using the customac tuneup for 10.7.1 and it seemed pretty good. I then Carbon Copy Cloned to another partition I was holding onto for a Win7 part, but for the time being duped the 10.7.1 partition. I installed 10.7.2 onto that one as a test (this is where most things would get screwed up) but it all seems ok.

Except for one thing - the bootloader. It sucks. For the longest time I'd have to boot from rBoot with -x -v in order to not freeze on either install -- but now booting from rBoot works FANTASTICALLY - just like my other i7 customac.

BUT HERE"S THE PROBLEM. I cannot install chimera to the harddrive in any fashion that would allow booting - it just doesn't work like the rBoot Chimera does. I even, in my angst started to install Chameleon 2 as a bootloader -- but that's not working either (endless reboot).

Is there ANY chance in hell I can get the chimera that is on the rBoot to actually be the Chimera that comes up from the main drive? I can't even seem to lose Chameleon at this point either...

*one more question* -- IS there a vid card that would fit within this smaller case that would be adequate for gaming to any degree?

Gordo74 said:
xequtor said:
how much slower will be this Mini-ITX system from one with a GB P55M-UD4 with 8GB ram and 9800 GT 1GB video card?
I don't use it for games or heavy video/photo edit, I may ue it to watch Movies on a Projector/50 inch TV.

I have right now a Lian-Li PC-V352 grate case but still to big, need something smaller like my original MacMini (have 2 C2D 2Ghz). Thx for help and inspiration.

This will actually be faster than that system clock for clock.

by "This" you mean Mini-ITX with on-board graphics ?
One thing I use on my P55M-UD4 build besides Web and some Photo editing is VMWare where I need 8GB RAM
And I want to take as much as I can from my P55M-UD4 build to Mini-ITX

Gordo74 said:
snarf123 said:
Im loving it! Much credit! <3
Been running it for a while now an everything works perfect! (except for the clicking noise when sound "wakes up").

Im thinking about getting some Diablo 3 going, does anyone knows a good graphics card model that goes well with this setup? I found the list:
wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

But can anyone recommend anything that they know work perfectly with this here setup?

None. A 250W Power Supply isnt made to power a graphics card too. If you want to keep the small forum factor and add a large card, go with a SUGO 05 case from Silverstone with a 6870.

Case+PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811163171

Confirmed working 100% 6870 by me:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150561

Thanks for the info, I suspect I will need to upgrade my box even further to the SG07 if i want to fit one of those cards though. I saw Diablo 3 running on a MacBook Air somewhere on youtube... Im now thinking maybe my setup is not utilizing the 3000 like it should.... Would that be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back