Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
longtom said:
Mate94 said:
Maybe this causes the problems...

"When you're using integrated graphics, however, you'll sometimes run into stranger issues. For example, with the Intel HD3000 that's part of some Sandy Bridge processors, you have some very specific limitations. The amount of RAM in your system can actually have a major impact. Some motherboards only allow the HD3000 to access up to 480MB of the system's RAM, for example, but Mac OS X sets the limit at 512MB when more than 4GB of RAM is installed. We're not going to get into the details here, but when these numbers don't match up it creates a problem that renders graphics performance so slow it'll take minutes to open a file or application. The solution, in this case, is to only use 4GB of RAM or perform a little complex editing to allow the use of more (InsanelyMac had a post on this specific issue, but I can't seem to find it at the moment)."

From lifehacker.com

Any solution for 8GB RAM and Intel HD3000 Graphics?

So far no.

On another post, someone had only "Graphicsenabler = Yes" in their org.chameleon.boot.plist. Didn't work for me either and broke my sleep function.

gspro said:
Started over again, with still no luck. As much as I'd love to just skip SL and use Lion, I don't have access to a mac to get it. Here are my steps for SL:
iBoot
Snow Leopard disk util - erase existing partition
install SL to new partition
copy mb 3.9,updateHelper,combo update 10.6.8, and dst to desktop
open mb but didn't install anything, run updatehelper, run combo update
KP just before 10.6.8 finishes.
reboot with iBoot
autorebooted
tried again to boot snow leopard
hang
Tried these
-x -v panics with "pmap_steal_memory"...
-v -PCIRootUID=1 hangs on SNB framebuffer did not show up"
-v -PMversion=0 panics with something about cpu 3 not having hpet
bios - init display first switched to onboard - snb didn't show up
switched it back to pcie16
tried to boot normally with iboot for kicks - hangs.
What can I try next?

Has anyone that has run into the issue of not being able to boot without iBoot, or not getting Ethernet after the reboot been able to get past it (using the customac 2011 hardware) without using the Gordo method? If so, can you confirm the steps above? Also, what bios settings did you initially change? By the way, I had the same issues with 10.6.6 - initial sl install found Ethernet, let me download 10.6.6; but can't boot w/o iboot and Ethernet is gone after reboot.

10.7.2 is out. Try it guys, let us know what improved about HD3000 drivers. :)

Mate94 said:

Anyone take the plunge yet? I've been hearing iffy things about getting iCloud to work

subiewrx06 said:
Mate94 said:

Anyone take the plunge yet? I've been hearing iffy things about getting iCloud to work
But who cares about the iCloud? My question was about the HD3000 drivers...

The thread about the 10.7.2 upgrade seems to show people having mixed results, so I'd also like to hear if any "CustoMac Mini 2011" users have installed this update, and whether you had any problems or issues. Yes, I'd like to know if it fixes the video issues, but I also want to make sure it's not going to make anything else stop working. In the other thread it seems like the upgrade went off without a hitch for some users, while for others it was a bit of a disaster, so I'd kind of like to know how it works with this specific configuration.

Ok, its installed.
It boots.
No sound, network still up.
Skype crashes when i start it up, might be because its trying to initialize sound that isn't there... My Mouse is working better! Magic mouse. I no longer have to delete it from bluetooth devices and add it again every reboot like before.

Started Diablo III beta to try graphics, system crash after 5 seconds in game. Will try that again.

edit: I will now try to install sound.
same settings as before:
ALC8xxHDA
AppleHDA Rollback
Non-DSDT HDAEnabler -> ACL889
System utilities

Edit2: it did not work, trying again with same settings... Sound! Didn't even have to reboot... But I will anyway.

Edit3: Skype is working again
Diablo 3 runs, I wouldn't say the improvement is huge if any. Not the best game to benchmark since its beta and all...

Im not sure what iCloud is supposed to do, but it seems to be working? Im logged in and everything. Made a contact on my iPad, it showed up on the pc, err mac. Deleted it in osx and it was removed on iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back