Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi people, as I said before I ordered this parts from amazon based on a build I am currently following:

Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 Intel H61 Express Chipset Mini ITX DDR3 800 Intel - LGA 1155 Motherboard"

Intel Core I3-2105 Processor

Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B - Bulk (Black)

SEAGATE ST500DM002 Barracuda 7200.12 500GB

Corsair XMS3 8 GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 MHz PC3-10666 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

Kingston Digital 16 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speed Datatraveler Flash Drive DT101G2/16GBZ, Black

MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad MB110LL/B [NEWEST VERSION]

I have not ordered Lion because it is hard to find (even on apple.com).

I have never used macs before, so it is hard for me to understand what installation dvd I need exactly, so I have these questions:

Do I need to buy Snow Leopard 10.6.3 in order to make the upgrade to 10.6.8 (free) and then buy LION ??

Do I have to buy Lion and that's it ?? if so, where in the world can I find a Lion DVD? all I can find in apple.com is MOUNTAIN Lion!

Thanks and sorry for being so noobie

@amoretam:
Find yourself a friend - someone you trust - that already has a Mac computer. Then you login with your Apple ID (if you have one - if not, create one) and buy Lion in the Mac App Store. Then you download Uni-Beast and get yourself a USB Stick with at least 8 GB. With this stick, Uni-Beast and Lion (from the Mac App Store) you can create a bootable Installation stick. With this stick, you can perfectly install Lion on your hardware.

Greets
z0dac

Thank you to all the people who make this site possible, my white Macbook (2008) died three months ago and by now I can't afford a new one. My new Customac Mini 2011 (a.k.a Frankenstein) is fast and stable like a real Mac. Very easy install with ApplePendrive+Unibeast+Multibeast and then some minor fixes with the help of others users (Intel HD3000 VGA and Mission Control glitches/artifacts). Search function is very useful, all you need is there :thumbup:

¡Gracias! : D

z0dac said:
@amoretam:
Find yourself a friend - someone you trust - that already has a Mac computer. Then you login with your Apple ID (if you have one - if not, create one) and buy Lion in the Mac App Store. Then you download Uni-Beast and get yourself a USB Stick with at least 4 GB. With this stick, Uni-Beast and Lion (from the Mac App Store) you can create a bootable Installation stick. With this stick, you can perfectly install Lion on your hardware.

Greets
z0dac
An 8 GB USB is listed in the installation guide, not 4 GB.

yoyo58 said:
z0dac said:
@amoretam:
Find yourself a friend - someone you trust - that already has a Mac computer. Then you login with your Apple ID (if you have one - if not, create one) and buy Lion in the Mac App Store. Then you download Uni-Beast and get yourself a USB Stick with at least 4 GB. With this stick, Uni-Beast and Lion (from the Mac App Store) you can create a bootable Installation stick. With this stick, you can perfectly install Lion on your hardware.

Greets
z0dac
An 8 GB USB is listed in the installation guide, not 4 GB.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry - my mistake.
It should have at least 8 GB.

Greets
z0dac

So I just completed a clean installed of OSX and updated to 10.7.4. THe display still goes to sleep, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why the computer won't sleep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Another noobie question is: how do i know which bios.version dsdt. to choose of all that are listed on my mobo database. Also, how do I know when to update my bios? Is there any special proscedure I should know to update the bios. Last time I will ask such noobie questions I promise thanks

amoretam said:
Another noobie question is: how do i know which bios.version dsdt. to choose of all that are listed on my mobo database. Also, how do I know when to update my bios? Is there any special proscedure I should know to update the bios. Last time I will ask such noobie questions I promise thanks
when you boot into the bios, you should see the version number of the bios. pressing the delete key when the Gigabyte screen pops up is how you get in to the bios of my mobo. if goes by quickly, so be ready to press whatever key it is for your mobo. once you get in and you see bios version 7 for example, you need the F7 dsdt file.

you can check the motherboard website to see what changes were made to the bios for each version release. if the changes don't affect you, there's really no need to update the bios from your current version to a later version. you may in fact be on the latest version. you could damage your mobo if you screw up flashing the bios to a later version. however, if you need to update the bios, the instructions for doing so should be in the documentation that came with your mobo. the instructions should also be at the website.

ask all the noob questions you want. also use the search function for answers to some of your noob questions.

good luck and enjoy building your Hac

yoyo58 said:
amoretam said:
when you boot into the bios, you should see the version number of the bios. pressing the delete key when the Gigabyte screen pops up is how you get in to the bios of my mobo. if goes by quickly, so be ready to press whatever key it is for your mobo. once you get in and you see bios version 7 for example, you need the F7 dsdt file.

you can check the motherboard website to see what changes were made to the bios for each version release. if the changes don't affect you, there's really no need to update the bios from your current version to a later version. you may in fact be on the latest version. you could damage your mobo if you screw up flashing the bios to a later version. however, if you need to update the bios, the instructions for doing so should be in the documentation that came with your mobo. the instructions should also be at the website.

ask all the noob questions you want. also use the search function for answers to some of your noob questions.

good luck and enjoy building your Hac

Thanks Man

z0dac said:
@amoretam:
Find yourself a friend - someone you trust - that already has a Mac computer. Then you login with your Apple ID (if you have one - if not, create one) and buy Lion in the Mac App Store. Then you download Uni-Beast and get yourself a USB Stick with at least 8 GB. With this stick, Uni-Beast and Lion (from the Mac App Store) you can create a bootable Installation stick. With this stick, you can perfectly install Lion on your hardware.

Greets
z0dac

hey Z0dac, I did what you suggested but nothing, my girlfriend created an Apple id, but there is no way to get LION... they just mention how to download MOUNTAIN LION ..

Where is people getting this dvd nowadays??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back