Contribute
Register

Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Guide and Notes (in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheSpatulaOfLove said:
Oh man, am I struggling with this setup!

First, I'll start with the build details:

H67N-USB3-B3 Rev 1.0 Bios F7
Core i3 2125
8G Gskill Ripjaws (tried with both and only 1x4GB installed)
WD Scorpio Blue 160G 2.5 HDD (for boot/OS)
Lian Li Q08 knuckle-slicer MiniITX case
The rest is disconnected/not worth noting

I am trying to install with Unibeast to get a clean Lion install.

I created the Unibeast on an 8GB PNY stick (brand new) successfully, and have installed it into one of the USB3 ports. The other ports do not seem to recognize for booting purposes - not sure why.

When I boot, I am able to select the USB from Chimera with no problem, but after a bit of loading, I would get the NO sign at the grey Apple screen. I have set Optimized Defaults, rebooted, then AHCI, HPET 64, etc as recommended in the build instructions (pointing to iBoot/MB BIOS screen shots).

When I load Verbose, the last thing it says before doom is:

"From path: "uuid", Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>"

Then it pauses...

Then I get:

"Still waiting for root device"

And it will loop that statement.

I have tried singly and with multiples:

-x
PCIRootUID=1
GraphicsEnabler=No
GraphicsEnabler=Yes

And I get the same result.

For testing purposes, I tried booting from iBoot and SL (10.6.3) DVD, and that seemed to go okay, but then in the install process, it suddenly rebooted.

Can anyone recommend some threads to check, or changes to make to what I'm doing? I'm really stumped and struggling to get this thing up and running.

Some things to note: I am plugged into the VGA port, as I don't have an HDMI monitor at my disposal. The intent is to run this headless for a server install, and I plan on managing it through screensharing, so I really don't have a need for kickass graphics, etc. Ultimately, I do want to find an OSX compatible SATA controller to place in the PCIE slot, but that's after the HDD market settles down again.

Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbup:

Try booting with "npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No"
And something is wrong if the USB2's not working. In the BIOS the USB Legacy is enabled? With the USB3's you can't install the system properly.

"Try booting with "npci=0x2000 GraphicsEnabler=No"

Just tried this and got the same result. :banghead:

Also tried prior to your post:

Loaded optimized defaults again, set HPET64/AHCI/etc, tried using each of the USB2 ports on the back - none of which would read during boot.

Would shutting off USB Legacy or USB Storage help it see this USB stick during boot? It works fine in the USB3 ports...

TheSpatulaOfLove said:

Loaded optimized defaults again, set HPET64/AHCI/etc, tried using each of the USB2 ports on the back - none of which would read during boot.

Would shutting off USB Legacy or USB Storage help it see this USB stick during boot? It works fine in the USB3 ports...

Did you format the HDD with GUID or MBR?

TheSpatulaOfLove said:

First off all, configure your BIOS like this.

All matches up (with the exception of items not listed on those screen shots). I also set them to default again, then reset them based on screen shots on the link.

I have a problem with my mini-build.

The hardware is exactly as recommended in the September blog post. I installed a clean Lion on my SSD drive. The Western Digital drive is empty.

I upgraded to Gigabyte's F7 and ran MultiBeast with the F7 HDMI DST file.

Before the upgrade, the Mac thought it was a MacPro and there were no audio input devices shown in System Preferences. Afterwards all was good. OSX new it was a MacMini and the various sound inputs (outputs from the computer) were shown. I ripped a CD in iTunes and played it through the headphone jack on the front of the case.

iTunes said it had an update and I updated. A restart was required.

KERNEL PANIC. Several reboots and Google searches and I gave up.

I erased the SSD and reinstalled Lion. I am back to a Mac Pro identification and no sound devices.

Any suggestions will be tried and reported back.

Thanks.

Bill

bretski said:
Apex MI-008 Modifications?

Has anyone modded this case for better cooling? I really dislike having the CPU and power supply cooling fans overlapping, and moving air in different directions. Sitting at idle, my CPU temps are around 46-51*C, and the noise from the fans is distracting.

My thought was to flip the power supply over, and drill holes in the top of the case. Before I break out the drills and dremel, I'd be curious to see if anyone else has done this, and if they have pictures/feedback to show the results.

I am starting thinking to make some modifications as well: same temps at idle. Having a DVD player, it's very close to the internal fan of the PSU and clearly prevent hot air from being exhausted by the PSU fans.

I am thinking to a hole on the left side of the box with a 80mm fan to extract air, as there is a grid on the right to allow fresh air to enter the box

Where do you stand on your mod ?

Re: Official CustoMac Mini 2011 Help/Discussion Thread

toleda said:
CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - Updated for 10.7.2 w/Audio Improvements

The CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit version 4 is now available for Lion 10.7.2

The CustoMac Mini is a very desirable Lion platform in its native state. It is possible to significantly improve this experience with the attached CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit. This Kit enables digital HDMI audio (integrated or discrete), speaker/headphone/microphone/line in/line out analog audio, digital optical output and dual monitor (2xHDMI). Installation is simple and the benefits are immediate. Instructions included with the download.

The CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit is specifically for systems requiring HD3000 HDMI audio. See below for other HDMI audio options.

CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - version 4

Requirements:
1. GA-H67N-USB3-B3-F7
2. 64 bit Lion 10.7.2
3. HD3000 HDMI audio (for all other audio, see below - CustoMac Mini Tuneup Kit - version 4 - All Other Audio)

Version 4 Changes (from version 3) :
1. Analog audio: Mic In - Front & Rear/Line In - Rear added, fewer pops
2. Digital audio: Optical Surround - no longer available*
3. Audio ID is 389
4. Framebuffer: Edited AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext - no longer needed*
*snip*

Hey toleda,

2 questions, which have been bolded.

I have been following this somewhat, perhaps I missed something.

How do you have line in working?

We have a hd 3000 setup as well, and we technically have the line in working, but you have to yell into the mic to be able to hear what sounds like a whisper. Can this be fixed?

Also, how do you not need to edit appleintelsnbgraphicsFB.kext? Don't you have to make changes to enable HDMI audio and VGA and whatever else?

Thanks for your help, you've already been very helpful in our 4530s project so far.

bhogsett said:
I have a problem with my mini-build.

The hardware is exactly as recommended in the September blog post. I installed a clean Lion on my SSD drive. The Western Digital drive is empty.

I upgraded to Gigabyte's F7 and ran MultiBeast with the F7 HDMI DST file.

Before the upgrade, the Mac thought it was a MacPro and there were no audio input devices shown in System Preferences. Afterwards all was good. OSX new it was a MacMini and the various sound inputs (outputs from the computer) were shown. I ripped a CD in iTunes and played it through the headphone jack on the front of the case.

iTunes said it had an update and I updated. A restart was required.

KERNEL PANIC. Several reboots and Google searches and I gave up.

I erased the SSD and reinstalled Lion. I am back to a Mac Pro identification and no sound devices.

Any suggestions will be tried and reported back.

Thanks.

Bill

1) Are you using HD 3000?

2) If your using HD 3000, change HDMI port to other one.

3) You need Mac Mini definition for HD 3000 to work properly.

:beachball:

1) Are you using HD 3000?

2) If your using HD 3000, change HDMI port to other one.

3) You need Mac Mini definition for HD 3000 to work properly.

:beachball:[/quote]

Thanks very much, the support here is great.

1. Yes, I am using the HD 3000 built into the Intel CPU.

2. Please tell me how to change the HDMI port.

3. Where do I get the Mac Mini definition?

Thanks, I really hope that with these answers I can get this fixed.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back