Contribute
Register

Off the Shelf Native Airport - PCI Express Wifi Card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got one of these myself, easiest thing I've ever installed.

Works out of the box in Lion 10.7.4, Win7 took longer as driver installation was required.

fracture

Hey tony...I am building a customac mini(2011) with a gigabyte ga-h61n-usb3 in an apex mi-100 case. will this fit? it's already pretty cramped in the case.

Anyone know if i can use my own antennas with these card? I have a late G5 case and has wifi antennas built in, I would love to use those. Thanks!

No and yes.
You'd have to do some soldering and you'd most likely have to remove the EMI shield to do that.
Alternatively you need reverse SMA plugs to female something or the other which I don't think are being made and then pull the cables from the outside back into the case. It won't be pretty.
Also, the external antennas ought to give you a better Wi-Fi signal.

Awesome find. I'll be heading to Micro Center to get one tonight on the way home from work. My USB solution is not working.

Does anyone know of a way to get this WI-FI card to see more 5 GHz channels? A real airport card has a much larger range of 5 GHz frequencies.

Apple Airport supports the higher channels like 149, 153, 157, 161.

The reason for asking. My office is covered with wireless N networks, and only the higher frequencies are open. I just want to avoid interference.

Thanks!

Apologies for the confusion- mine is Atheros after all... and works great. I had my Broadcom self-built one confused with this new one... :banghead:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x3112)
Firmware Version: Atheros 9380: 4.0.64.8-P2P
MAC Address: 90:f6:52:06:2c:b9
Locale: Unknown
Country Code:
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

Is there a way to change/set the "Locale"? It seems the cards are sold without a Locale set up. Only the 2.4GHz band channels are supported. The card is not seeing the 5GHz band channels.
I have an airport extreme dual band router. I'll install windows and see if the card connects to the 5GHz band and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back