Contribute
Register

[OBSOLETE] Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX 470 Guide

Hey Josh,

I am still pretty green to the whole hackintosh scene. I figured you may be able to help me out.

I purchased two of the same cards you are using. So EVGA GTX 470 non superclocked

Other specs are

GA-X58-UDR3 rev2
Intel i7 970
12gb GSkill DDR3 (4gbx3)
Sony DVD-RW
Intel x25m 160GB SSD

Anyways last night everything came in and was built. I ran iBoot and installed SL. I had to boot into safe mode however after I ran the combo update I could install all 12gb of ram. Furthermore I then started installing multibeast.

When I am hung up is getting the dual cards set up. I have not installed the nvidia400 drivers (your guide has it as a later step). I still don't have full support of both but it feels like it just shouldn't be that hard.

I guess I have all the hardware and a fresh install, I just need some help with the cards. I have run OSX for years but this feels like a whole different animal.

rnauman821 said:
I purchased two of the same cards you are using. So EVGA GTX 470 non superclocked
When I am hung up is getting the dual cards set up. I have not installed the nvidia400 drivers (your guide has it as a later step). I still don't have full support of both but it feels like it just shouldn't be that hard.

I guess I have all the hardware and a fresh install, I just need some help with the cards. I have run OSX for years but this feels like a whole different animal.

I had dual EVGA GTX 470's running, 4 monitors, QE/CI, with the X58A-UD5. The following links were most helpful:

The basic approach. Essentially you are hard-coding the existence and location of both cards into the DSDT (detailed system description):
-http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=617&hilit=dsdt+only+dual+9800

Some background on DSDT editing:
-http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/01/advanced-dsdt-fixes-nvidia-graphics.html
Use the DSDTSE editor. You end up naming your file "DSDT.aml" and putting it on the Desktop, then the excellent Multibeast system can fold it into a "User DSDT" install.

Discussion about how to get the card root addresses you need for above (this is for a boot.plist approach, so just use this info to understand how to get the PCI addresses of each card individually):
-http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8660

I am currently experimenting with other cards due to:
(1) Fermi freezes... See tonymacx86's hopeful recent post on this thread re: NullCPUPowerManagement; the problem may be avoidable:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8015&start=60

(2) Rotation. I really need portrait mode for all 4 monitors in Windoze and OSX... This may be more readily achievable with 5770's. I'm working that problem now. Who knows, I might end up keeping the 470's.

Hope this helps,
DK

dkmn said:
rnauman821 said:
(1) Fermi freezes... See tonymacx86's hopeful recent post on this thread re: NullCPUPowerManagement; the problem may be avoidable:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8015&start=60

Just swapped back in the dual GTX470's and added NullCPUPowerManagement.kext per tonymacx86's recent post. Overnight at least, this *seems* to have taken care of the Fermi Freeze...

is posible do dual Nvidia gtx 480?
thanks

Attachments

• DisplayVendorID-30e4.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 58

So I finally got my new macbook air in so I am back on here.

Still haven't got anything setup graphically.

I have a fresh install of 10.6.5 with ethernet working however sound does not work (no outputs) and graphics will only output to basic 1080x768 or so.

Help me get my set up going guys. Thanks

Hey Josh, Could you post up a link to your in.plist file. I can't get it working from what you listed. I have gotten a gtx460 to work buy I would like to use yours.

Well, I think it's cool for those of you it works with!

I tried this with my GTX 580 and, of course, everything works dandy in safe boot less QE/CI, but in normal boot, nothing but the black screen...

le sigh. c'mon 5xx support!!

This makes me want to commit genocide on a bag of sour patch kids.

As a side note, nice write up. It was clear to follow and understand even for a n00b like me!

I got my dual gtx 460s working, ran 3 displays on them earlier no prob. also rotation works for me.

i followed the dsdt only method outlined in various places around the forum and it worked right off first time no troubles =)

in case anyone is wondering im running 2 different branded gtx460s, one gigabyte and one pny. both are 1gb models but the gigabyte is overclocked and the pny is not.

mbg032373 said:
Attached are my edits for dual GTX 460s. You will still need to edit the PciRoot lines to match your system.

If you happen to be using a GA-X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 FB motherboard, I've also included the DSDT.AML file with the edits to enable dual graphics.

Mike

hi, can you tell us wath did you change in your dsdt file?
tks
kama

Bonjour à tous ,

Je suis entrain de faire un hackintosh full evga p55 ftw 200 + sli 470 gtx evga.
L'installation pour la carte mere niquel , cd boot empire efi puis install 10.6.3.
Ensuite installation mise à jours 10.6.5 puis drivers tonymac serie4xxx.
Tout ce complique car avec le bootGE avec les 2 carte (470 gtx evga branchez et le pont sli) en mode -v je bloque sur iousbfamily.v.3.8.5 , si je debranche une carte osx boot pourriez vous m'aidez pour que les 2 carte fonctionne et soit detecté comme des 470 gtx evga.

Merci à tous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back