Contribute
Register

NVMe Kernel Panic - Out of ideas

I changed my setup, moved to a Z690 pro Art (golden build by CaseySJ) and the problem vanished, same drive, same clone

As i am trying to exclude thing i was wondering if dual boot has anything to do. Did you use windows on your old setup.

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one with the issue. So I have two NVMe drives, both WD_BLACk SN750 SE drives, one is 1TB ( macOS install ) the other is a 250GB ( Windows 10 OS ). I would randomly get NVMe kernel panics, but it seemed to only happen after sleeping for long periods ( overnight ).

Now, within the last few days, I get random panics every few hours.

Code:
nvme: "3rd party NVMe controller. Loss of MMIO space.

When I restart, the kernel panic references the Windows NVMe, never my main macOS NVMe...

I do have NVMeFix installed.

I began to experience an error while rendering a video, applying an effect that was consuming both CPU and GPU resources. The computer would restart, displaying a blue screen with minimal information, only stating "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED."

I tried various troubleshooting methods to pinpoint the exact cause, but without success.

When trying to render the same project on MacOS, I encountered the same 'Loss of MMIO space' error and finally ended up here.

I found something interesting; all of us who experienced this error are using the same motherboard brand, although I am the only one with a Ryzen processor. Could there be an internal component that Gigabyte is using in their motherboards that is causing the issue?

I changed my setup, moved to a Z690 pro Art (golden build by CaseySJ) and the problem vanished, same drive, same cloned OS.
Which was your old motherboard?

I had it both on my Gigabyte z390 Gaming X and now my z390m. I am still puzzled why it happens to some users only or even why it appears periodically with me.

I've been on a Z370N-WiFi board forever and had the issue at times with my 2TB SN750 NVMe drive

Never have I been able to figure out why it does or doesn't do it.

Right now I'm riding a streak of no issues for almost a year I want to say?

It does honestly make me hesitant to do macOS updates though (major versions, not the point releases). I get worried about "changing anything" when it's working.

I got tired of this issue coming back randomly so looked at the alternatives. I tried multiple plist and bios setting but it never improved. Just got worse the more I deviated from the base OpenCore recommend settings.
In the end I got myself a quality nvme to usb-c enclosure. Haven’t had any issue so far and it’s delivering 990MB/s so I am not really noticing the difference in speed.

UPDATE: The issue has come back even with a USB enclosure. I am completely at a loss here.

Last edited:
...and, out of the blue, the Loss of MMIO space crashes are back from time to time (still on Ventura)

Sigh..

@TurbineSeaplane Sorry to unearth this thread, but did you solve your problem ? I have the exact same one with a SN850 500G...
Did you ever resolve this? I have a AsRock Z690 ITX Phantom gaming with a 12900KS. I've had this issue with multiple drives now (Sabrent Rocket, Crucial T500, WD SN750 ). In another thread I'm being encouraged to now try a WD SN850 and I'm really not convinced that this is going to do anything but throw away more money to little affect, especially after reading you also had issues...

If you are now running on a stable way, could you let me know what appears to have fixed it? e.g. OpenCore patch, running a specific version of MacOS, firemware update on your WD850, firmware update on your motherboard, etc.

Back