Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (387.10.10.10.30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like in my case installing drivers using webdriver.sh somehow messed things up.
Unlikely as webdriver.sh only installs the 'official' drivers. Changing SIP setting and rebuilding caches much more likely. Why exactly depends on your kexts.

I checked my extensions under system report and 30.107 and CUDA are loaded. Uninstalled and tried a patched *25.106. *25.106 This lets Cinema 4D use hardware acceleration. Octane and Geekbench still can't use CUDA. I'm pretty close to reverting back to Sierra.

I checked my extensions under system report and 30.107 and CUDA are loaded. Uninstalled and tried a patched *25.106. *25.106 This lets Cinema 4D use hardware acceleration. Octane and Geekbench still can't use CUDA. I'm pretty close to reverting back to Sierra.
I saw before that you use the system definition of iMac13,2. That could be an issue. I don't follow use of Mac Pro SMBIOS under High Sierra, particularly with older chipsets, but I was surprised you used an iMac definition with dual cards, since Apple has not had or allowed dual GPU cards in their own hardware except for the Mac Pro. Another consideration: with High Sierra, the recommendation is to put all added kexts into ~/EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other, I believe. I have no added kexts in S/L/E or L/E, am glad for that. I still use HFS+, for now. I keep the disk EFI folder matched, but I use the Clover bootloader from my "installer" USB to start up, and the config plist in the USB, at least, configures the startup. That saved me trouble adjusting to Sierra/High Sierra.

If for some reason you aren't with your system definition, be sure to use the latest IntelGraphicsFixup kext https://github.com/lvs1974/IntelGraphicsFixup and the latest Lilu kext https://github.com/vit9696/Lilu/releases.

Before you revert to Sierra, I'd try different system definitions. I suggest having a newly made USB installer [on a different USB flashdrive] made either with UniBeast and then updated with your config plist settings, kexts and drivers or the same using RehabMan's install Clover to USB method: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/. Normally you should have a filled out SMBIOS in Clover Configurator using P1LGRIM's method for a fully usable SN: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-imessage.196827/, but to test different system definitions you can keep the SMBIOS simple by choosing a definition and a random SN--and make sure you select Trust (and uncheck Mobile), which too many people miss. Again, the USB EFI/Clover should have your modified config plist and your drivers, and your latest kexts, including NvidiaGraphicsFixup and Lilu, in Other. Just the last couple 10.13 updates have caused some people to change their system definitions. Try MacPro and iMac definitions, but I wouldn't get hung up on matching your chipset/CPU because of the dual cards. It's about finding what Apple allows natively and modifying it if necessary.

Definitely keep a clone of your High Sierra install no matter what, because new drivers will be coming out. But keep trying in High Sierra. apple pic, for example, though using Z170, has dual 980 Ti's running on 10.13.4:
It seems like 30.106 is the most functional for those who are using one GPU (most people), but for the few of us that are running dual GPUs, 25.106 is the closest thing to fully functional on High Sierra.

looks like nvidia fixed their performance on the 30.107.

I updated the driver via Terminal

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 387.10.10.10.30.107

No more slow performance. Smooth AF :headbang:
Just the 30.107 update with Dobell's script.

Last edited:
30.106 on 10.13.4 and 30.107 on 10.13.4 supplemental were not working for me—I had to stay on 25.106. Re-enabled SIP (CSR 0x00) and now 30.107 works well, less laggy in scrolling and QE/CI stuff (Mission Control, etc). Any ideas why this might be? I don't remember why I had SIP disabled originally but I imagine it was for a good reason...

EDIT: And after a reboot the old problem is back, hang on IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3. Damn. I guess I'll have to go back to 25.106.

EDIT AGAIN: Got 30.107 working again with CSR 0x67 (which I need for native audio patch), kind of nervous to see if it stays working but at least it's here now.

Last edited:
Definitely keep a clone of your High Sierra install no matter what
I hear you... I have been running this machine as an iMac 13,2 forever without any problems. Reverted back to 10.12.3 and all is good.

I have High Sierra running on several other machines and but if I get Octane running on the Hack I don't really care...

Any ideas why this might be?
One idea if its not due to your third-party kexts being included/excluded due to allow-kext: In 10.13.x when SIP is enabled macOS stages extensions (it won't load kexts from the cache if they aren't the same as the staged ones) to protected directories (at the moment they reside on the root disk in /Library/StagedExtensions - but that might change at some point). Anyway third party GPU drivers are special and have companion bundles that also get staged to their own directory. When SIP is disabled macOS ignores the secure directories, doesn't use and doesn't update them e.g. when installing kexts, drivers. So the secure directories may be out of date. Now, an irregularity in all this is the web driver still uses the secure path for companion GPU bundles if they exist when SIP is disabled, e.g. previously they were installed with SIP enabled and staged by macOS as part of the installation. So /Library/GPUBundles must be up-to-date (for booting SIP enabled) or cleared, or up-to-date (for booting with SIP disabled). Test it.

Note that having GPUBundles up-to-date is the only configuration that enables booting with SIP enabled AND SIP disabled.

Last edited:
Are any of you able to get CUDA in After Effects 2018? I can use CUDA in Premiere Pro but it doesn't give me the option of CUDA in After Effects? Preliminary Googling has shown that other users reported this same issue.

Note that having GPUBundles up-to-date is the only configuration that enables booting with SIP enabled AND SIP disabled.

Cool, something solid! Thanks. How would I go about making sure /L/GPUBundles is up-to-date?

Cool, something solid! Thanks. How would I go about making sure /L/GPUBundles is up-to-date?
Running 'sudo kextcache -i / ' with SIP enabled should update/restore the staged GPU bundles. If you can't boot with SIP enabled because the bundles are missing or from a different driver version uncheck NvidiaWeb (and/or reset NVRAM by pressing F11) while in Clover before running this command.

If you can't boot with SIP disabled because the bundles are from a different driver version (e.g. different installations with different SIP settings) uncheck NvidiaWeb (and/or reset NVRAM by pressing F11) while in Clover then:
  • run 'sudo rm -rf /Library/GPUBundles/* && sudo kextcache --clear-staging' to restore your system to a state as if SIP had never been enabled for driver installation.
  • run 'sudo rsync -r /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*Web*.bundle /Library/GPUBundles' to restore to a state as if SIP had been enabled for the most recent driver installation.
If NVIDIA used the booted CSR status to determine the path to the bundles none of this would be necessary, it looks like /Library/GPUBundles is used first (for some purpose) falling back to /S/L/E if they are not in the first location.

And none of this is necessary if you keep your SIP setting consistently enabled or disabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back