Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 (378.10.10.10.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vulgo - you also mention you have blank screens if you boot with dual monitors connected - is this still the case ? Have you tried the above ?
I'm pretty sure its to do with how the firmware initialises the displays before the Nvidia drivers take over. EFI/GOP seems buggy in firmware settings and it is only turned on as part of 'Windows 8 features'. I'd speculate it only gets tested with Windows, and not by the people who write the module. Heard some people have success with similar sounding problems by using CSM/BIOS graphics code. Another thing i'll add is if i boot with both displays attached they power off when they should be initialised, while the dark screens i was getting post-web driver 10.13 the displays remained on.
I also looked at my ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.UUID.plist & confusingly I see the 2 monitors that are connected however there is 5 entries (3 for the first monitor and 2 for the second). If I look in IOReg I can see 5 entries for the 5 ports on my graphics card, however only 2 of them have a display connected - and these map to the same as the plist. Attached is the plist.
The OS seems to keep track of every display you ever used in every port, and if e.g. the device name/path changes in the IO registry new/additional preferences are created/stored.

it can be for gtx mobile?

I'm pretty sure its to do with how the firmware initialises the displays before the Nvidia drivers take over. EFI/GOP seems buggy in firmware settings and it is only turned on as part of 'Windows 8 features'. I'd speculate it only gets tested with Windows, and not by the people who write the module. Heard some people have success with similar sounding problems by using CSM/BIOS graphics code. Another thing i'll add is if i boot with both displays attached they power off when they should be initialised, while the dark screens i was getting post-web driver 10.13 the displays remained on.The OS seems to keep track of every display you ever used in every port, and if e.g. the device name/path changes in the IO registry new/additional preferences are created/stored.
That's it ! The guide I had originally followed for Sierra and High Sierra build said must disable CSM in BIOS. I just set CSM to enabled and it now can boot into Sierra & High Sierra with both monitors connected !

So for me I need to have CSM enabled to be able to boot with 2 screens connected

Thanks !

Last edited:
That's it ! The guide I had followed for Sierra and High Sierra build said must disable CSM in BIOS. I just enabled it and now can boot into Sierra & High Sierra with both monitors connected !

Thanks !

Enabling CSM never crossed my mind. Nice!

EDIT:

For me, it looks like CSM was already enabled in some way.

In my BIOS, Windows 8/10 features was set to other OS. With it set this way there aren't any CSM options.

I changed Windows 8/10 features to "Windows 8/10 WHQL" and then the CSM option showed up. Just to see I DISABLED CSM -- Interesting, my boot up process now displays on the other monitor. I could not boot Sierra or HS to the GUI though get right to where it is about to load GUI and then both monitors blank - not initialized.

I rebooted to BIOS and ENABLED CSM but left Storage Boot Control and Other PCI devices set to UEFI. It now boots fine. Just like before.

I booted back in the BIOS and changed Windows 8/10 features to "Windows 8/10" disabled CSM, booted to blank non initialized screens in Sierra and HS.

NOTE:
If I change Windows 8/10 feature back to "Other OS" without first ENABLING CSM, it will boot to blank screens. So yeah, it definitely looks like CSM for me was initially ENABLED and even then I had issues with Dual Displays until SIP/Library Validation and or VNC tweaks.

Last edited:
Seems like enabling CSM doesn't do the trick for me... But let's start at the beginning:

I'm using a dual monitor config hooked up to my GTX 980: One 1080p monitor connected using DVI and one 1440p/144Hz/G-SYNC monitor connected using DisplayPort. Newest Nvidia Web driver installed (.120) while booted with SIP 0x00.

With only one monitor connected, I can boot to macOS without problems using the EmuVariableUefi.efi driver installed. Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext however are not required to boot. If I plug in the second monitor after boot has finished: No problem.

If I boot using these settings with two monitors from the beginning, both monitors are getting a black screen signal (not no signal at all).

Enabling CSM leads me to mbinit: done [128 MB total pool size, (85/42) split] in verbose boot.
If I change my secure boot option from "Other OS" to "Windows UEFI", I get an error (from the Mainboard) while trying to boot to Clover, since I'm trying to boot a non-Windows OS.

I hope somebody can help me – Thanks in advance! :)

-Danos

Last edited:
Seems like disabling CSM doesn't do the trick for me... But let's start at the beginning:
For my problem - I would boot to black screen signal like you if I had 2 monitors connected, but this only occured when CSM was disabled in BIOS.

To fix my issue I had to select CSM Enabled in BIOS (Didn't try CSM = Auto but will try it later)

For my problem - I would boot to black screen signal like you if I had 2 monitors connected, but this only occured when CSM was disabled in BIOS.

To fix my issue I had to select CSM Enabled in BIOS (Didn't try CSM = Auto but will try it later)

Sorry – I meant enabling CSM :crazy: corrected it in my post...

So – like on your machine – with CSM disabled I get black screen with more than one screen connected while booting.
If I however enable it, I can't even get past that line while booting...

Sorry – I meant enabling CSM :crazy: corrected it in my post...

So – like on your machine – with CSM disabled I get black screen with more than one screen connected while booting.

I also edited mine. At the end of my post I was saying "Disabled" when I meant "Enabled". XD

In my BIOS I have the following settings under CSM when I set it to enabled
Launch CSM: Enabled
Boot Device Control: UEFI and Legacy OPROM
Boot from Network Devices: UEFI Driver first
Boot from Storage Devices: UEFI Driver first
Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices: UEFI Driver first

I also just tried CSM = Auto and still could boot with the monitors connected. I will set it to disable and check if my problem comes back.

One point - my main monitor is connected via D-DVI and my secondary monitor is HDMI. With CSM disabled - boot and BIOS is always on the HDMI, where as with CSM enabled, boot and BIOS is on the D-DVI monitor.

EDIT: Yeah I set my CSM to disabled and the no signal monitor problem happened when booted into High Sierra. For me - I must set CSM to Auto or Enabled

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back