Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 an

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

Please keep us posted on any progress on this issue. I'll be facing the same problem as soon as I buy a new card (albeit switching from ATI) and am highly interested in any solution you might find. Can't wait to upgrade my ancient 5870 but there's no point as long as I won't be able to install it.

IT"S WORKING!!! More info to come in the next day or so, once I have a chance to tweak a few things.

My problem was that I had the wrong syntax on my boot flags when trying to boot when the 970 was in my machine (ASUS X99-Deluxe). Once I got the correct syntax on the boot flags, I got into the Yosemite desktop (albeit in Safe mod), downloaded the Web drivers and installed. Rebooted in regular mode and BAM!!

The Web drivers also auto-updated to an even newer version that was linked to in the OP. :) More news later! FWIW, it drives my VIZIO 50" 4K set at 24 or 30 Hz (depending on the rez I choose). I was using a cheap HDMI cable from Lowes, so I need to get a high-speed-with-Ethernet cable & see if I can actually get the 4K@60Hz that this card promises.

Stay tuned!!

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

So here's a few screenshots illustrating the phantom third monitor I'm running into along with my org.chameleon.boot.plist. I have two monitors both connected to my ASUS GTX 970 via DVI (HP 2311x and Dell 2005FPW). I've tried swapping them from one port to the other and disconnecting them without any change. The phantom monitor shows up in the Display Preferences pane as well as the "Displays" section of the "About this Mac" screen but it does not show up in the System Report section of "About this Mac."

Since I'm not hearing anyone else running into this same issue I assume it must be something with my particular configuration. As I noted elsewhere, my Yosemite system otherwise is rock solid and the nvidia web driver installation was straightforward.

Anyone have any other ideas of things to try?

Apologies if the things I'm about to suggest sound a bit rudimentary, but I never want to assume. So...if it were me, I'd do a few things:
1. Do a 'clear CMOS' on your mobo, followed by
2. Remove your 970 and re-seat it.
3. Fresh install of Yosemite (using a different drive if possible) - process of elimination.
4. Check for latest Web drivers through the System Preferences > NVIDIA prefs panel. I installed from the link in the OP, and once I got the web drivers installed, checked that manually. NVIDIA said there was a newer version & auto-downloaded/installed.

I know a lot of that sounds like a bunch of work, but it may be worth it in the long run. Good luck!!

Hy,

With DP port connected HDMI SAMSUNG TV most of the features works flawlessly.

The guides works without any issues :

- Clean install without GTX 980 attachced.
- Multibeast with mac Pro
- VGA attached with nv disabled bootleg
- Nvidia driver installed
- REboot
- Very slow system, but nv logo in the up left corner -» change from Apple driver to NV web driver
- Reboot
- BlackScreen, no signal
- Cable change from HDMI-HDMI to DP-HDMI
- reboot
- Update message comes up from NV -» update to latest f02 driver
- Just for "fun" I change the system def to iMac 14.2
- It results little better cinebench score (112.5 fps)
- Done

I've no idea at the moment how to enable sound through DP-HDMI. If you have a good guide for it Please share it !

THX

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.30.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 7.30.24 PM.png
    90 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 8.38.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-28 at 8.38.59 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 153

I have a GTX 760 and 10.10 with all updates.
HWmonitor tells me that the GPU speed is at maximum and the GPU fan also at maximum.

How to solve it? Under 10.9.x the nv driver was meant to solve these issues.

they don't support 980 and 970 misleading

My lux benchmark with the driver was 851 and with the native drivers was 2361. I didn't uninstall, but left it with the native drivers selected for now. If anyone has any suggestions as to why, I can go back and see if there is something to tweak.

Apologies if the things I'm about to suggest sound a bit rudimentary, but I never want to assume. So...if it were me, I'd do a few things:
1. Do a 'clear CMOS' on your mobo, followed by
2. Remove your 970 and re-seat it.
3. Fresh install of Yosemite (using a different drive if possible) - process of elimination.
4. Check for latest Web drivers through the System Preferences > NVIDIA prefs panel. I installed from the link in the OP, and once I got the web drivers installed, checked that manually. NVIDIA said there was a newer version & auto-downloaded/installed.

I know a lot of that sounds like a bunch of work, but it may be worth it in the long run. Good luck!!

Thanks for the suggestions on next steps, BoomR. As you suggested I've tried removing the 970 and reseating it along with checking for latest drivers. I'll try your other suggestions as I have time over the next couple of days. Thanks for lending a helping hand here!

I've heard some saying these don't work with the Mac Mini 6,1 system definition, but mine appears to. If I download the web drivers for my GTX 760, will CUDA work natively or do I still need the CUDA driver?

IT"S WORKING!!! More info to come in the next day or so, once I have a chance to tweak a few things.

I took a dive. The process has been pretty straightforward with clover, including the switch from ATI.

1) Download Nvidia Web Drivers from this link with old graphics card:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/79058/en-us
(Use this link as it's the current version as of writing this, unlike the one in the first post of this thread).

2) Do not install yet. Disable any ATI Injection from boot, as you are about to remove the old card. Put in the new Card.
3) Boot with Args "nv_disable=1" into safe mode. That's a funny and laggy experience as your new beast of a graphics device is being recognized as "Nvidia Chip Model 8MB".
4) Go and install the web drivers. Reboot and make sure that you are booting with "nvda_drv=1" from now on.
5) Yeah, that's it.

So far i've noted no apparent bugs, like the reported ones with Preview. Everything seems alright. I did however manage to crash the Nvidia Drivers while excessively and rapidly changing graphics options in World Of Warcraft. All that did was sending me to the login screen though. Stress tests seem stable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 21.43.49.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 21.43.49.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 143

(snip)
FWIW, it drives my VIZIO 50" 4K set at 24 or 30 Hz (depending on the rez I choose). I was using a cheap HDMI cable from Lowes, so I need to get a high-speed-with-Ethernet cable & see if I can actually get the 4K@60Hz that this card promises. Stay tuned!!

Update - For some reason, 4K@60Hz on my EVGA GTX 970 is not working right now. You can read more specifics about what's going on (or NOT going on) over here in the GTX 970 / GTX 980 thread,

If anyone who has more experience with high-end GPUs has some thoughts on this, I'm all ears
:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back