Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 an

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

But i never had that before its just since updating the nvda driver.

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

But i never had that before its just since updating the nvda driver.

This isn't an exact science - sometimes installing new 3rd party things break what used to work. I'm just telling you that there is a whole thread dedicated to fixing the problem you are describing. If you don't want to do the research & try to fix it, then there's not much more I can offer...

The problem I think you have: If your org.chameleon.boot.plist entry for Kernel Flags looks exactly like above, you are missing a CRITICAL flag for Yosemite success. I'm not in front of my machine right now to get you the exact syntax, but when you first go into your o.c.b.p. and you look under Kernel Flags, you should already see a value there: something to do with kext dev mode.

DO NOT remove this - simply add a space after it, then type: nvda_drv=1
...then save & reboot.

Maybe re-run MultiBeast again using same settings so that it refreshes your o.c.b.plist file. Then make the correct edits this time. You should be OK after that.

UPDATE: Should look like this:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>

first of all, thank you.

i tried in both the way but with no results:
- with your solution during the boot, and after the horizontal bar i have black screen and the the monitor with no signal and turned off
- with nv_disable=1 no card. only "3mb graphics"

why i cannot use this card...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

edit:

this is my ocbp:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hdmi or dvi link use?
my GTX 750 Ti works only VGA. Other connections show me black screen :roll2:

If you simply want to migrate your data from your MBP > CustoMac, then just use Transfer Assistant (in Utilities folder). Works great, regardless of whether it's a CustoMac or an Apple branded product. Now if you want to SYNCHRONIZE data between the 2, it would be better off to just keep your data in the cloud & work from there on whatever machine you want to use.

You cannot use your MBP in "Target Disk" mode via FW or TB as your boot drive for your CustoMac - you need special bootloaders & kexts to get generic computer hardware to work with OS X. Maybe for the use case in #2, you can use the idea of cloud-based storage for all your work files/information per my comments above.

And no offense, but there's a specific reason why I want/need this card to work. And the card is on the Buyer's Guide, albeit it *may* need the Web drivers. So I can't simply just go out & buy any old card & get it working. As I mentioned in my post, I *can* get it working with a couple other cards I have at home, but then when I try to swap out working card for 970, I have problems.

Good luck with your build!

First off, let me say thank you for the response. You don't need to correct in quotes "target disk" mode as it was widely and used to be known as firewire disk mode. I guess I have been using macs too long. I have heard that the migration assistant you suggested screws things up somehow. True/not true? Are you saying I can do a full clean install of Yosemite on the hack, get it up and good, then start migration assistant with it and my macbook pro on, and it will transfer everything without messing up stuff that makes the hack work? If so, great, that sets my mind at ease.

I am semi interested in cloud storage however I don't just want things "up to date" I want everthing from one to the next the same. A clone, or the actual device. My issue is if I have the computer off for 5 days and I turn it on to go use it, I would have to wait for it to upload/download all the tons of gigs over and over that have changed even if this were possible. I am talking the entire disk; preferences, apps, system files, etc. Perhaps what I want to do is not possible and I will just have to make something like cloud storage work. I do recall that new thing for Yosemite to go from one to the next, but I wonder if that is for all apps/documents/downloads/preferences/etc? I have not had the ability to try it and wonder if it works well with hacks. Anywho, enough on this, it has become more of a rabbit hole than anything, onto the reason I created this account.

There is no way for me to take offense, as I don't think you realize my suggestion. Perhaps you do, and perhaps my suggestion does not work, but the way you are clinging to the idea that you must have your 970 makes me think you don't. Hey, I get it, the 970 IS the best deal in a long time, and I don't want a 700 series either. I have waited over 6 months for the nvidia update and am still waiting for it to be a viable choice. My entire build hinges on the 970 card working. I am saying BUY a card that works to install the drivers. THEN, once the drivers work, swap that BOUGHT card out with your 970 and return the temp card. All it seems you need is for the driver to allow itself to install. And if NONE of the recommended hardware allows you to install the new drivers, then you have deeper problems than I am capable of solving at this time.

On a semi related note, can one run carbon copy clone on the hack and boot from that disk at all?

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you so much!!! now it works!!!

via VGA!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Thanks for the heads up! I just installed them and the UI with my 970 seems to be much smoother. Still have the weird issue with a phantom 3rd display showing up and iTunes movie playback is stuttery but overall still a big step forward.

Oh sweet! Do you know if CUDA is actually working with them?

First off, let me say thank you for the response. You don't need to correct in quotes "target disk" mode as it was widely and used to be known as firewire disk mode. I guess I have been using macs too long. I have heard that the migration assistant you suggested screws things up somehow. True/not true? Are you saying I can do a full clean install of Yosemite on the hack, get it up and good, then start migration assistant with it and my macbook pro on, and it will transfer everything without messing up stuff that makes the hack work? If so, great, that sets my mind at ease.

I am semi interested in cloud storage however I don't just want things "up to date" I want everthing from one to the next the same. A clone, or the actual device. My issue is if I have the computer off for 5 days and I turn it on to go use it, I would have to wait for it to upload/download all the tons of gigs over and over that have changed even if this were possible. I am talking the entire disk; preferences, apps, system files, etc. Perhaps what I want to do is not possible and I will just have to make something like cloud storage work. I do recall that new thing for Yosemite to go from one to the next, but I wonder if that is for all apps/documents/downloads/preferences/etc? I have not had the ability to try it and wonder if it works well with hacks. Anywho, enough on this, it has become more of a rabbit hole than anything, onto the reason I created this account.

There is no way for me to take offense, as I don't think you realize my suggestion. Perhaps you do, and perhaps my suggestion does not work, but the way you are clinging to the idea that you must have your 970 makes me think you don't. Hey, I get it, the 970 IS the best deal in a long time, and I don't want a 700 series either. I have waited over 6 months for the nvidia update and am still waiting for it to be a viable choice. My entire build hinges on the 970 card working. I am saying BUY a card that works to install the drivers. THEN, once the drivers work, swap that BOUGHT card out with your 970 and return the temp card. All it seems you need is for the driver to allow itself to install. And if NONE of the recommended hardware allows you to install the new drivers, then you have deeper problems than I am capable of solving at this time.

On a semi related note, can one run carbon copy clone on the hack and boot from that disk at all?

Hmmm...I've been using Macs since the first generation & I've never heard of Target Disk Mode referred to as Firewire Disk Mode. That's why you hold down the "T" to enter TDM...and not "F"....

I need a video card with HDMI 2.0, hence the 970 (for economical reasons). Vizio just came out with a new line of 4K displays - I bought the 50" 4K display for $995. Best deal in town IMHO, provided you have HDMI 2.0 source. It works "ok" in HDMI 1.4a mode, but ....

Before you can attempt to help solve my problem, you need to FULLY UNDERSTAND my problem. You seem to miss the fact that I **DID** try another card. In fact I have tried TWO other cards that I have @ home. Please read this post. And this post ....again. I have a Yosemite build working - regardless of which existing card I use. BUT when I try to install the drivers without the 970 card installed, the installer says it's not a compatible machine and you must exit the installer. When I have both cards installed (existing card + 970), it creates a whole other set of complications. Furthermore, why would I want to buy a card only to install drivers, and then take it back? I'm not crazy about the shady ethics of renting equipment from my trusted vendors.

As for Migration Assistant from an Apple-branded product to a CustoMac, I have first-hand experience with the success of that (albeit in Mt. Lion). I built my parents a CustoMac Mini to replace their aging Mac Mini that didn't have a DVD burner. Took a while to migrate everything over, but the migration process only did data files, apps, and preferences. MA did nothing to hoze the CustoMac configuration. Of course I would make sure to have a CCC bootable clone as a safety backup. Note that MA creates a new user account to dump all the migrated data. So don't spend a lot of time configuring the initial Admin account the first time you install OSX.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you so much!!! now it works!!!

via VGA!

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

unfortunately the vga is working but no more audio...

i re-multibeasted but nothing... :(

device not founded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back