Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 an

Status
Not open for further replies.
NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

Make sure you use Mac Pro system definition to make the installer work.

FWIW this restriction was removed a while ago, the installer should work fine on any Hackintosh system that has an NVIDIA GPU in it. You can see the installer script checking for the presence of a card in the findHardware function:

Code:
                if ((classCode == '03') && (vendorID == 'de100000'))
                {
                    var noEFI = device['NVDA,noEFI'];
                    var romRevision = device['rom-revision'];
                    if ((noEFI == 'true') || (romRevision == 'undefined'))
                    {
                        // found an NVIDIA graphics card
                        return 1;
                    }
                }

I've successfully installed with an iMac14,2 system definition for the past few releases, without any problems at all.

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for 10.10.0 (343.01.01f01) with 'Maxwell' GeForce GTX 970 and 980 Support

Noobie question. The nVidia page gives a rather short list of "supported products" for these drivers. Yet people seem to be using them with a lot off-list models. Do they cover a wide rage of GeForce cards?

There's an important distinction between "officially supported" and "happens to work fine". The PC cards, or any card that isn't an official Mac Edition, won't be listed as supported on the website. However, in almost all cases, the cards will work just fine with the NVIDIA web drivers.

I'm also on Clover UEFI config and nvidia boot flag - nothing else

Thanks for kexts list. I'm using exactly the same FakeSMC and web/cuda driver versions.

I've found that more people report exactly the same issue - clocks stays up until app that uses OpenCL is closed.

I even considered patching AGPM kext to force my card ID, but they changed model identifiers into something not human readable lately.

Thanks for kexts list. I'm using exactly the same FakeSMC and web/cuda driver versions.

I've found that more people report exactly the same issue - clocks stays up until app that uses OpenCL is closed.

I even considered patching AGPM kext to force my card ID, but they changed model identifiers into something not human readable lately.

You can still use the AGPM parameters from another Mac model, replace the ones for your current SMBIOS with those, and then put your device id in there. Also I think some of the AGPM parameters aren't using a device id at all and instead just use the ACPI name (usually GFX0).

Hey,

I just make a fresh installation of Yosemite and install the web driver.
I write nvda_drv=1 (and only that one) with clover but I got a black screen and the fan is turning full speed.
If I use my Mbp I can use share screen and in about this mac my "gtx750 ti" is recognized as "asus gtx750ti 0Mb".

Any idea?

Hi folks!

As I see, ppl with GTX 980 still have issues on getting the DVI or HDMI to work. I have 2 monitors, on both those ports and always getting the no signal. I can boot with nv_disable=1, only DVI monitor works and I don't know what else to try. :cry:

Can someone who has a 980 working on DVI/HDMI and Yosemite please show us the way?

I have i5-2500k, GA-z68xp-ud3p with latest award bios, BIOS settings as per install instructions on main page. BTW I always boot with Unibeast USB, can't get bootloader in Multibeast to install/start up (maybe because bootloader is at the end of the 1TB disk?).

Please help!

I've successfully installed with an iMac14,2 system definition for the past few releases, without any problems at all.

iMac14,2 is good and preferable for Haswell CPUs, however this SMBIOS does not support 4K@60Hz (only 30Hz).
Also built-in OS X nVidia driver does not support 4K at all :)

This seems quite accurate, I ran the same test with the native drivers, and a 780 classified (base clocks) and the test results were obscenely better....the web drivers are NOT an improvement. also running the bruce test in fcpx was improved, although still far away from AMD/ATI performance....sadly.
thank you for this post, blaziken, you helped me a lot!

If you don't NEED them don't get them. These are purely for compatibility and WILL hurt your performance greatly as I have noticed ever since I tried these for years. I first noticed the terrible performance when in Dolphin (The Wii/GC emulator) and ever since I switched back to native... it's been buttery smooth.

Here are some benchmarks to prove my point.

OS X Native: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv5374jq4a4ftk1/Screenshot 2014-10-20 19.07.38.png?dl=0

Nvidia Web: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h9roq2abpz0yx26/Screenshot 2014-10-20 19.17.43.png?dl=0

So again, only use these if you desperately have to for compatibility.

Hi all,

I installed the web driver on a setup with EVGA GTX 780. Yosemite loads fine after installation, but I'm not able to test performance differences because as soon as the desktop loads, the fans on the card start running at full RPM! Very weird!

Has anybody experienced the same behavior?

Quick note on my experience with the ASUS GTX 970 in my system using the latest web drivers. TLDR version: it's functional but the UI feels much "choppier" and I've got a phantom third screen showing up in Display Preferences along with my two DVI connected displays.

Long version
So, I've had my system up and going for about a week now with a GTX 660 Ti following the excellent guide at (using Mac Pro 6,1 smbios): http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...8ma-d2h-b3-evga-gtx650-working-dsdt-free.html Everything was working perfectly so I figured I'd make life exciting and add a 970 :)

Prior to installing my 970 I installed the web drivers and added the nvda_drv=1 flag to my org.chameleon.boot.plist. I yanked my 660 Ti out and dropped in the 970. Everything came up right away but for whatever reason my mouse noticeably lags in the UI compared to with the 660 Ti and I get a few odd display glitches as noted elsewhere in this thread.

Temps are great, the card is incredibly quiet the majority of the time since it halts the fan completely until the temp ramps up. Everything works great when booted up into Windows so I'm fairly certain the laggy behavior I'm seeing isn't due to a defect of any sort with my card.

The other weird thing I see is the presence of a third display in the "Arrangement" section of Display Preferences. I only have two monitors connected (both via DVI) so I'm at a complete loss what this could be. If I move my cursor to the position where the screen shows up it disappears as if it were an actual display and I can move windows there as well.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I've read through the forum and am not seeing mention of this elsewhere, apologies if I've missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back