Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce 5xx Graphics in Lion [TEST]

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAXp0wr said:
I had that when using an older version of chameleon. Try putting in 'Yes' or 'null' as the key.

HoochShepherd said:
So anyone else have this issue? When ever I toss in <key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string></string> to my chamelion bootloader plist (instead of my boot.apple.plist) I can no longer boot. I'll start to boot, and get a white bar across some of my screen. Nothing happenes till I press a key, then I reboot. Am I just SOL on opengl or is there a work around some one knows of?

So no0 go on the null or yes. They didn't kill my boot, but they didn't do anything.

On a side note. I hex edited the OpenGLbundle thing like I was supposed to in order to get OGL. No luck there either.

Hi Guys,

I need Help...

I install Lion in my PC

X58 ud3r
i7 959
24gb ram
120 ssd OCZ Solid 3
EVGA GTX 580

I Install the 10.7.1 and i insert the ID of my GTX like your advice...

All works well but with cinebench my score is 28 pfs......

can you help me????

Thanks!!!

REgards

Luca

Wanted to say thanks for all the help within this thread. Re-read it over and over before making the jump.

EliteGroup ECS 570 GTX with device ID1081
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134125&Tpk=elite%20group%20570
I bought this two days ago when it also had a $50 rebate, ended yesterday unfortunately.

I purchased this GPU knowing it had the ID 1081 after googling the various ones found on NewEgg. Some had 1086 or 1081 and since I was unsure which ID I would receive, I passed those. This was the only one I was sure to have an 1081 ID since it was the only model for this manufacturer. $269 after rebate as well =)

Anyway basically followed the guide on Insanelymac only did a couple of steps to get it going.
--
Did the device ID addition 1081 for my GTX 570 in the nvidia HAL100 txt thing.

I did this before installing the card as I had a 6870 in it before. I also am running Lion 10.7.
Powered off the system.
Removed 6870 and
Installed the GTX 570 into the system and rebooted.

Booted into Lion perfectly and things looked great, got 1920x1080 via main screen DVI and 1080p via secondary screen via HDMI right out the box.

I don't plan to game but I read flash videos can crash the system without graphics mode. I tested flash, and it did not play, but when I double clicked to full screen it worked.

So I wanted flash to work properly, not too worried about AGPM etc. I put in the graphics mode/empty string first into the org.chameleon and rebooted and it did not help.
Next, I put graphics mode/empty string into the .com.boot plist in the extras folder and after the initial chameleon loader, the apple logo was small toward the left upper corner as many have reported, no biggy this just replaces the grey apple boot loading screen. Then it boots into OSX no problems and flash videos work in the youtube small regular viewer. I have not run benchmarks yet but so far I'm happy.

My about this mac shows GeForce GTX 570 1280MB under the displays tab, I did not have to edit anything there there, just automatically read it.

My build:
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
i5-2500k
GTX 570 Elite Group ECS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... roup%20570
8GB G.Skill 1600
Mac Pro 3,1

not sure what else is important but yup! Good to go. Used this forum and tonymac as references and will be cross posting to help whoever may need it.

*edit*
Cinebench 11.5 OpenGL test I got 45.58, OC'd CPU to 4.2Ghz

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 1.18.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 1.18.11 PM.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 1.38.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-09-01 at 1.38.34 PM.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 180
Puh around 45 FPS is a lot more than I get with my GTX580...
I only get around 39FPS, but I did all the things you described.

Is Lion just better with the GTX570... anyone else with a GTX580, what scores are
you getting?

BR

Schimmi

Hi all,

I have only 11 fps in cinebench with my Zotac GTX580 (>60 in win7).

Any idea why performance is so bad ?

Regards

PS: I have changed MacPro 5.1 -> 3.1 : Now Cinebench opengl value = 48 fps !!!

Schimanski said:
Puh around 45 FPS is a lot more than I get with my GTX580...
I only get around 39FPS, but I did all the things you described.

Is Lion just better with the GTX570... anyone else with a GTX580, what scores are
you getting?

BR

Schimmi

I think we are missing something...I have the EVGA GTX570 and my cinebench fps are around 34. We probably don't have full acceleration yet...

lucaevoviii said:
Hi Guys,

I need Help...

I install Lion in my PC

X58 ud3r
i7 959
24gb ram
120 ssd OCZ Solid 3
EVGA GTX 580

I Install the 10.7.1 and i insert the ID of my GTX like your advice...

All works well but with cinebench my score is 28 pfs......

can you help me????

Thanks!!!

REgards

Luca
Hi, Try change MacPro 5.1 -> 3.1 is working for me and Cinebenh Sore 32 FPS y have EVGA GTX 570. :thumbup:

Be carefull if you switch
from 5.1 to 3.1, cause in the
applegpupowermanagement.kext there
is no entry for the 3.1 profile.

I´m using the Imac 12,2 SMbios.

I´ve seen Scores running under 11.7.2 Bets around 51FPS in Cenebench

BR

Schimmi

Schimanski said:
Be carefull if you switch
from 5.1 to 3.1, cause in the
applegpupowermanagement.kext there
is no entry for the 3.1 profile.

I´m using the Imac 12,2 SMbios.

I´ve seen Scores running under 11.7.2 Bets around 51FPS in Cenebench

BR

Schimmi

I've had 3,1 since building my machine, so I'm curious what does the AGPM.kext exactly do? Is it bad to not have it? I don't game on OSX side though.

Side note, sleep seems to break my Graphics Mode so flash and openGL don't work properly until reboot.

The AGPM puts the GPU in the correct P-States,
which means, if there is nothing to do, the it goes into low power consumption,
but if there is a lot to do, like GPU Benchmark, Gaming etc, it put it in to
high power consumption.

BR

Schimmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back