Contribute
Register

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just like to add myself to this problem as well. ASUS 560TI.

Was rock solid on 10.8.2. I seem to get the error less often when I run in normal window mode rather than fullscreen.

Definitely not flash related.

Haven't had a chance to test a different SMBIOS yet but will report back here with the results once I do.

-fussie

So far, I'm at 2 days without a crash using a combination of tricks that I picked up on other threads.

• Change SMBIOS to Imac 12,2
  • Patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement
  • Play a video on VLC on repeat, and simply mute and minimize it
  • Set your wallpaper to change every 5 minutes (i only cycle between 2 that I like)

It seems to keep my GPU busy enough so the channel timeouts never happen. I tried doing all of those things individually without any luck, but all of them at the same time seem to work for me. The only annoying part is VLC, but it only uses up 3% of my CPU.

well then the whole hackintosh thing is over if this is just how its gonna be from now on.
there is no fix and a new card does not fix it?

Pretty sure a new 660 will be fine (Especially if you got one on the reccomended build lists.). The thing with 10.8.3 is I'm pretty sure it brings better support for the 600(kepler) series cards and has somehow broken support for the 500 series cards(fermi)

I have used my brothers 650 in my build and it works like a dream. Infact the performance seemed better for certain things and even the boot screen is in full resolution.

So far so good with the 660. No channel timeouts in the console, no locking up on full screen video anymore.

After the deal i got on the 660 and selling the 560ti i wont be much out of pocket at all.

Just like to add myself to this problem as well. ASUS 560TI.

Was rock solid on 10.8.2. I seem to get the error less often when I run in normal window mode rather than fullscreen.

Definitely not flash related.

Haven't had a chance to test a different SMBIOS yet but will report back here with the results once I do.

-fussie

Updated from Mac Pro 3.1 to 5.1, and made no difference on lockups....will keep trying

I've been monitoring this thread as well as the 560ti Fermi Freeze thread I made a while back as well. Another forum member by the bame of dan542 has came up with a great solution to the problem. Seeing as editing the AGPM kext only made the freezes less frequent we narrowed it down to a driver problem managing processes on the GPU. By using the app he created below it uses one or more channels while your computer is on in the background, after testing so far it seems to "fix" these freezes.

I have linked to his post and the attached app he created below.

Syther101

Okay, so far I've got no freezes with my app, here it is, could any of you guys try it?

Just place it anywhere you like and run it, it'll be invisible (you may see a window with a white triangle blink, though). In case you want it to be opened automatically every time on start up, just add it in System Preferences.

Hi, Toleda.

I have a gtx 670m and when I edit in Final Cut or use Chrome or Firefox have NVDA CHANNEL TIMEOUT sometimes. This happens more when I'm editing in Final Cut X or when the notebook is in screen saver and after go back to use. There is already a solution for this problem? Thank you for your attention.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back