Contribute
Register

Now that I'm all set up... Best way to make a clone backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z87E-ITX
CPU
Core i7 4770K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm looking for the best way to just completely clone my drive, EFI partition and all so that if something goes awry, I could just switch to the clone drive without skipping a beat. Anyone know the best (and hopefully free) way to do this?

I'm looking for the best way to just completely clone my drive, EFI partition and all so that if something goes awry, I could just switch to the clone drive without skipping a beat. Anyone know the best (and hopefully free) way to do this?

I use Carbon Copy Cloner. It used to be free but is not paid for. I brought it and have never regretted the decision to pay hard cash. Ive used it in anger a free times after I've cocked things up.

There are free ones but I can't speak for them,

Rob

i love CloneZilla. Open Source, creates a backup image that also contains the bootloader (other options require that you install the bootloader after the fact)

Thanks, guys! I finally got around to using clonezilla to make a backup, so I could try out upgrading to 10.11.1. Worked like a charm. :)

Like a charm, really?
I use Carbon copy clone, but just a copy doesn't work, again you have to make it bootable.
That still can be hassle. And I advise you to use Time Machine as well

Like a charm, really?
I use Carbon copy clone, but just a copy doesn't work, again you have to make it bootable.
That still can be hassle. And I advise you to use Time Machine as well

Yep, like a charm. I cloned my OSX drive, shut down, hooked up the clone and disconnected the original drive and it worked fine, didn't have to do a thing to make it bootable.

And yeah I use time machine as well, but I wanted an exact, bootable copy of my OSX drive in case installing an OS update went sideways. This did exactly that, so I'm a happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back