Contribute
Register

Not Shy's Guide - Potentially Fix Bluetooth Sleep/Wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-an-W said:
I automated the toggle off and on process which works really well.

Myself and notshy are having a go with original Apple Bluetooth modules as tried by a few people, it might turn out to be the ultimate solution :crazy:

You mean MP bluetooth connected to usb hub, right? So regular apple bluetooth is just usb with special connection to logic board?

Win2mac said:
D-an-W said:

Myself and notshy are having a go with original Apple Bluetooth modules as tried by a few people, it might turn out to be the ultimate solution :crazy:

You mean MP bluetooth connected to usb hub, right? So regular apple bluetooth is just usb with special connection to logic board?

Connecting to an Internal USB header on your motherboard and using a voltage converter to step down the voltage to a constant voltage for an official apple bluetooth module.

Bits are on order - some have arrived.

The post is here if you want to see:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=193272&view=findpost&p=1659223

As D-an-w said - we are going to have a go and will report back with our findings. But credit to Swhay for his guide and parts list.

The Apple bt module has worked 100% for me. Complete functionality.

notshy said:
Win2mac said:
D-an-W said:

Connecting to an Internal USB header on your motherboard and using a voltage converter to step down the voltage to a constant voltage for an official apple bluetooth module.

Bits are on order - some have arrived.

The post is here if you want to see:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=193272&view=findpost&p=1659223

As D-an-w said - we are going to have a go and will report back with our findings. But credit to Swhay for his guide and parts list.

Hey man. I checked out that guide and while it's a great idea to connect it to USB header (that's what I'm going to do) that 5v to 3.3v converter isn't necessary. If you check out our discussion Here you'll see we're using a simple diode to drop the voltage to 3.6v which works great, is cheaper and can just be picked up at like a RadioShack or simple electrical hobby shop. I'm sure the other method is fine as well but the parts look bulky and unnecessary. Cheers.

sumsaykra-z said:
Hey man. I checked out that guide and while it's a great idea to connect it to USB header (that's what I'm going to do) that 5v to 3.3v converter isn't necessary. If you check out our discussion Here you'll see we're using a simple diode to drop the voltage to 3.6v which works great, is cheaper and can just be picked up at like a RadioShack or simple electrical hobby shop. I'm sure the other method is fine as well but the parts look bulky and unnecessary. Cheers.

Thanks for the advice and link ! the converter is already on order so I'm going to stick with that for the moment as I've ordered it. If it gets lost in the mail then I'll go down the diode route. Cheers for the links - looks like theres going to be a few of us with real BT modules around. I like the idea of this sort of "hack" !

What about doing the same with Wifi .... ?

notshy said:
Thanks for the advice and link ! the converter is already on order so I'm going to stick with that for the moment as I've ordered it. If it gets lost in the mail then I'll go down the diode route. Cheers for the links - looks like theres going to be a few of us with real BT modules around. I like the idea of this sort of "hack" !

That sounds like another project to check out! I went ahead and opened up the cable for the usb header and the ground wires were a mess! These wires were actually weaved together! :banghead: Check out the pic.IMG_0124[2].JPG. It looks like this usb header (came from a Dell) is not standard. Typically the 5v red wire is in the first pin location. In this case the red wire is in the second pin location. I'm wondering if the power, data and ground pin locations are the same just with Dell the wire colors are different. Do you know if the pin location is standard? I would assume it is. Check out the pic.IMG_0126[1].JPG You think you could give me a hand with this?

Attachments

• IMG_0124[2].JPG
    IMG_0124[2].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0126[1].JPG
    IMG_0126[1].JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 475
Hi, I've kind of got a Belkin F8T016NG working on my hackintosh with a magic mouse and aluminium keyboard.
Originally I enabled the grey option in bluetooth preferences by adding product/vendor info, but I found that didn't make any difference. I was running into trouble waking the mighty mouse after coming out of sleep. The only way I could get it working again was by removing and reinserting the bluetooth adapter. On trial and error I accidentally removed my IOBluetoothFamily kext and suddenly I was able to re-use the mouse after sleep, however it lacked scrolling and the keyboard lacked special buttons, volume etc.
After copying IOBluetoothFamily back to S/L/E I was unable to use the mouse after waking from sleep.??

Can someone explain this, or help getting my mouse working as it should?

Thanks

Dan

sumsaykra-z said:
notshy said:

That sounds like another project to check out! I went ahead and opened up the cable for the usb header and the ground wires were a mess! These wires were actually weaved together! :banghead: Check out the pic.IMG_0124[2].JPG It looks like this usb header (came from a Dell) is not standard. Typically the 5v red wire is in the first pin location. In this case the red wire is in the second pin location. I'm wondering if the power, data and ground pin locations are the same just with Dell the wire colors are different. Do you know if the pin location is standard? I would assume it is. Check out the pic.IMG_0126[1].JPG You think you could give me a hand with this?

That's v odd. I'm gonna get a new header from a USB expansion kit and cut up that one. Some companies just seem to go maverick with this sort of stuff. I guess the best way to test would be with a multi-meter and work out which one draws the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back