Contribute
Register

NootedRed — AMD Radeon Graphics — macOS Sonoma

The iMacPro and MacPro SMBIOS expect a discrete GPU to be present. So they are not ideal when using an AMD IGPU.

The iMac20,1 or iMac20,2 are a slightly better match.

If you are using Adobe Premiere, don't you think you would be better served installing a compatible AMD dGPU.
I assume you are using AMDFriend.kext and the patches that are often required when running Adobe software on an AMD Hack.

Thanks for your advice. Somehow I cannot boot when change it to iMacPro.
Do we need clearnvram when we change bios or config.plist?

Update all my OpenCore, kext etc and feel smooth.
Using Premiere, Photoshop 2024 and there is just little glitch, not hardware accelerated, but it's enough for my work.
This is my benchmark.

photo_2024-01-29 13.14.57.jpeg
photo_2024-01-29 13.15.00.jpeg

But I feel the animation kinda slow after 15-30 minutes, or when there are many program open.
Do make GPU VRAM 16GB will solved this?
After change it to bios, do I need always clear nvram?
Thanks

@white4line You should clear NVRAM whenever you make changes in your EFI/config.plist, including changing SMBIOS. Any changes you make in BIOS doesn't require you to reset NVRAM. I suggest upping the VRAM in BIOS to 16GB, your Metal score seems low to to me, my Ryzen 4700G with Vega 8 graphics is around 24K.

hello, does anybody here get working hardware acceleration on APU Ryzen 5 4600G?

hello, does anybody here get working hardware acceleration on APU Ryzen 5 4600G?
The Ryzen 5 4600G works fine, It was the first APU I used before upgrading to the 4700G. See the thread linked below for more details.

The Ryzen 5 4600G works fine, It was the first APU I used before upgrading to the 4700G. See the thread linked below for more details.

okie, thank u craig! you are a good dude

@white4line You should clear NVRAM whenever you make changes in your EFI/config.plist, including changing SMBIOS. Any changes you make in BIOS doesn't require you to reset NVRAM. I suggest upping the VRAM in BIOS to 16GB, your Metal score seems low to to me, my Ryzen 4700G with Vega 8 graphics is around 24K.
Been update to 16GB and Metal score just about the same. Maybe because I'm using 5600G, Vega 7. Must be lower than yours.

In 16GB, I'm not sure it's smoother than before. But I'll try using it for days.
Thanks

Your rig nearly identical as mine. Hardware acceleration if you mean metal, openCL, transparency, yes it's there.
I'm tested it with Photoshop, Premiere, Blender, etc, they are usable up to certain limit. Some minor glitches but still usable.

But in premiere, video decoder and encoder is not hardware accelerated. I think we must wait update from Nred for this.

Your rig nearly identical as mine. Hardware acceleration if you mean metal, openCL, transparency, yes it's there.
I'm tested it with Photoshop, Premiere, Blender, etc, they are usable up to certain limit. Some minor glitches but still usable.

But in premiere, video decoder and encoder is not hardware accelerated. I think we must wait update from Nred for this.
yes! i tested photoshop and it just ran fine most os the time but when i opened firefox its just crash when i enable hardware acceleration. its confusing

The single and multi core scores are much higher on the 5600G, but my 4700G obliterates your metal score white4line!. I would argue the 4700G got the better deal in terms of iGPU. Prices for the 4700G on eBay are generally higher than the newer generation, because they were OEM only so you couldn't pick one up from Micro Center. But they do have the better graphics.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.31.08 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.19.23 AM.png

Ryzen 7 4700G
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.22.08 AM.png

Ryzen 7 5700G
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.22.52 AM.png

Ryzen 5 5600G
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.23.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.41.26 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.42.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 1.43.35 AM.png

Last edited: