Contribute
Register

noob - no access to mac/hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
right. ok. i think i will have to get an el-cheapo mac mini, do the unibeast thing, and then sell the mac mini once i am done with setting up the bootable USB.

Be careful! If you get a Mac mini that doesn't support a new enough OS, You'll still be stuck. It needs to support High Sierra if you want to do a Coffee Lake build.

so in my situation, what would you suggest i can do to get things started? (apart from the obvious in that i need to find a mac somehwhere somehow...)

Surely one of your friends has a Mac you can sit in front and use for a short while?

Start here...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbis...-A-2-Duo-P8600-2-4GHz-OS-X-2GB-250GB/45584715 for $168.99 US

Then upgrade it to 8GB or 16GB of RAM and download High Sierra. You will then be able to proceed with your Coffee Lake build if you still need it. Throw an SSD in the little white gem and it makes a really decent laptop for basic needs.

that’s a bit of a dead end solution for me unfortunately - i will get a cheap and pokey mac mini and do the unibeast thing instead.

See Wikipedia

macOS High Sierra has the same requirements as its predecessor:

• iMac: late 2009 or newer
  • MacBook/MacBook (Retina): late 2009 or newer
  • MacBook Pro: mid-2010 or newer
  • MacBook Air: late 2010 or newer
  • Mac Mini: mid-2010 or newer
  • Mac Pro: mid-2010 or newer
  • iMac Pro

excellent. all good then. this one is an oct 2014 build. i will get it then sell it soon after. hopefully not make too much of a loss. the hackintosh tinkering i am seeing it as a hobby anyway - this is part of feeding the beast LOL

It should be fine since it is a 2014 model. Pity to spend so much but I guess your options are limited in AU.

yea it’s rough. i could hunt around for someone with a mac but i don’t know any colleague or friend with a mac i can swing by at short notice to do that usb bootable - they all have PCs!!

the cost of the mac mini i can partially recoup by selling. they still sell pretty well.

The little white MacBooks are so cheap and work great. I've bought several for family. Very respectable with 16GB of RAM and an SSD. Pity there's no easy way to get one to you.

all good mate. happy to run with the mac mini.

just deciding on the processor for my build. someone posted that the i3-8100 has issues with macOS high sierra and cannot get acceleration to work? something to do with device ID? i am trying to avoid getting a graphics card i don’t need and was wondering if i should just go the i5 to avoid this graphics problem. what do you reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back