Contribute
Register

Noob going hardcore patching

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my recommendation...

Do the upgrade just to get the activation working... Your goal there is just to make it work/activate, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Then after the upgrade successfully activates, do a fresh install.

Yeah but you know some people are lazy lol. I guess there's no activation limit with Windows 10 neither.

Yeah but you know some people are lazy lol. I guess there's no activation limit with Windows 10 neither.

Activation in Win10 is done completely different than previous versions of Windows.

Instead of having to enter a key each time, the machine details and its activation status are remembered by Microsoft servers. So once you activate the first time (via free upgrade from qualifying version of Windows), that computer is forever activated automatically no matter the number of fresh installs...

There is also claims that you can now enter a qualifying Win7/Win8/Win81 product id during Win10 installation and it is now expected (something changed since Win10 initial release). Personally, I haven't tested this claim.

Activation in Win10 is done completely different than previous versions of Windows.

Instead of having to enter a key each time, the machine details and its activation status are remembered by Microsoft servers. So once you activate the first time (via free upgrade from qualifying version of Windows), that computer is forever activated automatically no matter the number of fresh installs...

There is also claims that you can now enter a qualifying Win7/Win8/Win81 product id during Win10 installation and it is now expected (something changed since Win10 initial release). Personally, I haven't tested this claim.

Just something id like to point you. When i did a clean install of Windows 10 on my 4530s i don't believe it needs the internet to activate reason why i say this is because i left my Probook disconnected from the internet and the clean install of Windows 10 and it was already activated when i wasn't connected to the internet I'm bringing to think that it writes something to the BIOS.

Just something id like to point you. When i did a clean install of Windows 10 on my 4530s i don't believe it needs the internet to activate reason why i say this is because i left my Probook disconnected from the internet and the clean install of Windows 10 and it was already activated when i wasn't connected to the internet I'm bringing to think that it writes something to the BIOS.

Never tested that, but it is possible it stores something in NVRAM.

Never tested that, but it is possible it stores something in NVRAM.

Its not like the copy of Windows 10 I've got is a HP version. Its a clean ISO from Microsoft so i guess it does. When you get a clients machine that needs updating let me know if the same happens to you.

Its not like the copy of Windows 10 I've got is a HP version. Its a clean ISO from Microsoft so i guess it does. When you get a clients machine that needs updating let me know if the same happens to you.

It is also possible that Win10 reads the SLIC info provided in ACPI and activates based on the SLIC indication of Win7/Win8/Win8.1 license, hence free upgrade.

I guess so. Only reason why i didn't comment it to the internet straight away was because i wanted to make sure it was in UEFI. So i guess you can activate it as many times as you want/need lol.

I gave the laptop a go with 8.1 installed fresh and the 8.1 drivers provided by Asus and guess what?
Cold start after wake!

I've never used sleep in Windows, I use hibernate as it's safer.

I guess I'll have to disable sleep on the Mac and see if there's known sleep issue on this laptop.

Does the UEFI partition store any details about windows activation key?

I gave the laptop a go with 8.1 installed fresh and the 8.1 drivers provided by Asus and guess what?
Cold start after wake!

I've never used sleep in Windows, I use hibernate as it's safer.

I guess I'll have to disable sleep on the Mac and see if there's known sleep issue on this laptop.

Does the UEFI partition store any details about windows activation key?

By cold start reboot. Do you mean the laptop reboots after sleep?

Cold start after wake!

How long did you let it sleep? Keep in mind that Windows uses a hybrid S3/S4 and will enter S4 if low on battery, or will even wake out of S3 to enter S4 after a while. Unless you disable hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back