Contribute
Register

Noob going hardcore patching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep can be broken by not having correct ACPI Drivers or maybe a hardware problem. Background activity can stop sleep from functioning. Id recommend looking at your drivers. Does sleep work in OS X? if so then its a windows problem.

Sleep can be broken by not having correct ACPI Drivers or maybe a hardware problem. Background activity can stop sleep from functioning. Id recommend looking at your drivers. Does sleep work in OS X? if so then its a windows problem.

I'm assuming the laptop in question has an OEM installed version of Windows.

It would be unusual indeed for the OEM to provide a Windows configuration that does not sleep properly.

If it is a user-installed Windows setup, or one with significant modifications, then all bets are off.

In some occasions Windows update can cause issues. Ive have it on client machines where drivers were downloaded and installed by Windows updates on next boot or reboot you end up with a Blue screen or the machine acts up. Not sure if you've had that but I've had a few machines from people to repair with that problem even viruses can cause things like that. Its one of those things why I'm a mac user weird things happens with windows :lol: Id rather not have a OEM install anyway id wipe it only because of all the Crapware you get with new OEM Machines.

In some occasions Windows update can cause issues. Ive have it on client machines where drivers were downloaded and installed by Windows updates on next boot or reboot you end up with a Blue screen or the machine acts up. Not sure if you've had that but I've had a few machines from people to repair with that problem even viruses can cause things like that. Its one of those things why I'm a mac user weird things happens with windows :lol: Id rather not have a OEM install anyway id wipe it only because of all the Crapware you get with new OEM Machines.

Yes, of course. I always install Windows from scratch, but most people don't. Even with Windows you have to know what you're doing...

All of my HP laptops 4530s & 4540s came with OEM installs i ripped it off tho i used the Product Key Sticker on the COA Sticker for clean installs :thumbup:

Hi Guys

The laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to 10 via the updates.
I did try a fresh install of 10, but it would not let me activate it.

So I did a fresh install of 8.1 then immediately upgraded to 10.

running powercfg I get this error

Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

I might try another hdd with 8.1 jsut to see if the laptop will sleep.

Hi Guys

The laptop originally came with Windows 8.1 and I upgraded to 10 via the updates.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:pCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

So its a clean install done by yourself not OEM. You don't have a COA Windows 8.1 sticker underneath the laptop? Recommend checking that all Drivers are working and up to date. Don't use ACPI & Graphics drivers for Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 bad things can happen be sure that they're from Microsoft Update.

Hi Guys

Check in Device Manager to make sure everything is clean, all devices have drivers.

Don't use drivers downloaded from HP.com except for those that you need to (eg. use Win10 provided graphics, SATA, chipset, etc).

Note: After you upgrade to Win10 and verify it is activated, you can do a fresh install of Win10. It will automatically activate.

Just a idea which I would do/suggest if you choose to do a (Upgrade) instead of a clean install I'd highly recommend uninstalling every single driver after the update only because who's to say that drivers could be running after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 which shouldn't be but could be. Just something I'd recommend.

Just a idea which I would do/suggest if you choose to do a (Upgrade) instead of a clean install I'd highly recommend uninstalling every single driver after the update only because who's to say that drivers could be running after the upgrade from Windows 8.1 which shouldn't be but could be. Just something I'd recommend.

This is my recommendation...

Do the upgrade just to get the activation working... Your goal there is just to make it work/activate, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Then after the upgrade successfully activates, do a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back