Contribute
Register

NO USB at all SuperMicro X9DAi motherboard, sierra install

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing. I want you to make sure you have already checked the BIOS and confirmed that the BIOS has detected all the installed RAM thereby ruling out hardware issues before going into any Software troubleshoot. I am adding all these small details that may be very familiar to you for the benefit of others reading these pages.

There is a thread detailing the changes in the post-mavericks USB stack here - your motherboard has Renesas USB 3.0 which will not work natively. USB 2 reported working on the www with DSDT edits, you can google it.

Last edited:
Hi!

Just got the super micro x9dai mobo ..
with 2 xeon 2660v1 cpus i am going to run the install and check how to solve the USB port issue!!

misterphoton
do you have any specific guide u used to install Sierra on the super micro x9dai any recommended bios settings ?

Please let me know how you succeed and if your machine sees everything in the hardware in MAC. We can compare our results. My machine sees all the hardware in Chameleon when booting to my Mavericks partition, but I am stuck trying to optimize in Sierra with bring unable to update the system definitions. Do you have any suggestions? I installed Sierra over Mavericks, and it is missing RAM, by half, the USB and the right SMBIOS. Are there any text edits I can do in the plist or anything else?

I have been unable to Chameleon boot to Sierra, and am using Clover. Thanks for contributing, Nick

Nick,
Does you BIOS recognize all your RAM and only in macOSSierra you are seeing half the total RAM?

Did you try the SMBIOS >Memory entries I suggested?

Please let me know how you succeed and if your machine sees everything in the hardware in MAC. We can compare our results. My machine sees all the hardware in Chameleon when booting to my Mavericks partition, but I am stuck trying to optimize in Sierra with bring unable to update the system definitions. Do you have any suggestions? I installed Sierra over Mavericks, and it is missing RAM, by half, the USB and the right SMBIOS. Are there any text edits I can do in the plist or anything else?

I have been unable to Chameleon boot to Sierra, and am using Clover. Thanks for contributing, Nick

hi nick !

made latest sierra install via unibeast installing UEFI

i am still trying to figure out the right flags to boot the install ..
tried npci=0x2000 and pcirootuid=0 dart=0 no luck yet i will keep tryin i get stuck at
firewire 400 message when i verbose thanks! will keep you posted!
Gemini .

ps
if you have any quick flags you used to boot let me know .

2) Memory (has 32 GB installed), but I think this may be a motherboard difference or SMBIOS setting the machine needs to be set to like MacPro. My Mavericks install see's all the RAM/memory but has the system def to Mac Pro 6,1. So I assume the real iMac actually only has 8 actual dimm slots so the OS thinks there is less RAM. (could not spoof the system def to MacPro 6,1 but I would like to)
What is your physical RAM configuration? e.g. 4 x 8GB dual channel

Nick,
Does you BIOS recognize all your RAM and only in macOSSierra you are seeing half the total RAM?

Did you try the SMBIOS >Memory entries I suggested?

My bios sees everything correctly for RAM. I tried changing the system definitions / SMBios with multibeast and it said it was successful, but on reboot the fix did not work.
What is your physical RAM configuration? e.g. 4 x 8GB dual channel

I have 2x16GB sticks. Maybe because I am having trouble making the machine see the correct smbios the OS thinks its an iMac instead of Mac Pro that has more memory slots. My bios sees all the memory. I think if I can get clover and the OS to boot and see the machine as a Mac Pro, it will then pick up at least the memory.

There are also some options for RAM in BIOS where it can be independent, mirrored, lock step or sparing. Any suggestions in this setting. I have it to independent, and my older Mavericks install sees all the RAM

I tried changing smbios to mac pro with multibeast and it did not like that. un-bootable. Is there another way to spoof the smbios definitions? I tried in the clover menu when booting but it did not have an effect. I uploaded the motherboard schematic and picture of where the RAM slots are installed too. I think maybe if I get it to see the machine as a mac pro that has more memory, then It may see all the RAM. Can anyone help on this as well?

My working Mavericks partition was able to get the machine by the MB./multibeast app to see it as a Mac Pro, then see all the RAM. My Mavs partition also sees everything the way i need it. If we can get the following issues:

Renseas USB controller working,
Correct RAM and SMBIOS

I will be in business, thanks again

RE Supermicro x9Dai system with 2 six core XEON. 16 memory slots. And my Mavericks partition see's the machine as a mac pro with all the RAM. Thx, Nick

Attachments

• supermicro X9DAi motherboard layout.pdf
    480.5 KB · Views: 109
  • RAM installed.JPG
    RAM installed.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I have 2x16GB sticks. Maybe because I am having trouble making the machine see the correct smbios the os thinks its an imac instead of mac pro that has more memory slots. My bios sees it all.
2 x Dual Channel is a less common configuration but think it should go like this... You can give it a try SMBIOS -> Memory in clover config.plist
Code:

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<dict>

<key>Memory</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Channels</key>
        <integer>4</integer>
        <key>Modules</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Frequency</key>
                <string>1600</string>
                <key>Part</key>
                <string>0x4B485831363030433953334C2F3847202020</string>
                <key>Serial</key>
                <string>0x00000000</string>
                <key>Size</key>
                <string>16384</string>
                <key>Slot</key>
                <string>0</string>
                <key>Type</key>
                <string>DDR3</string>
                <key>Vendor</key>
                <string>0x0198</string>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Frequency</key>
                <string>1600</string>
                <key>Part</key>
                <string>0x4B485831363030433953334C2F3847202020</string>
                <key>Serial</key>
                <string>0x00000000</string>
                <key>Size</key>
                <string>16384</string>
                <key>Slot</key>
                <string>8</string>
                <key>Type</key>
                <string>DDR3</string>
                <key>Vendor</key>
                <string>0x0198</string>
            </dict>
        </array>
        <key>SlotCount</key>
        <integer>16</integer>
    </dict>

</dict>

Assuming you are using 1st slot of 1st channel of each CPU from PDF you linked.

EDIT: Slots might be 0 and 2 instead of 0 and 8. Not sure.

Last edited:
When BIOS which has recognized the installed BIOS thereby confirming no RAM module or RAM socket hardware issues, but your MacOSSierra does not see that , it is definitely a problem with CLOVER as the BIOS hands over control to CLOVER and Clover to macOSSierra kernel.

To make CLOVER believe your MoBo has 16GB RAM, I suggested manually entering the Memory data in the SMBIOS >Memory section. From your post it was not clear if you have done that step and that too did not succeed. I had posted with images how that is done through CCV.

Multibeast 9.01 can change the System Definition but , I am not familiar with an option to 'surgically repair' the Memory Properties in the SMBIOS which the config.plist editing can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back