MSI GTX 650Ti 2GB Boost Edition
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I experienced my first Kernel Panic a few weeks ago after foolishly using the internal software update, rather than going onto Apple's website. (I believe the update was 10.8.3) I can boot in safe mode, but for some reason or another I cannot re-boot with my UniBeast drive.

So I have double checked my BIOS and they all seem to be fine. I also selected the USB drive as the boot device. When I try to re-boot it says "No Proper boot device" and asks me to try again. I have also tried using another blank SSD with no luck. My build is within the signature below if that helps.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious? (I hope so)

Any help would, of course, be much appreciated.

Oli

Hi Oli,

if you can boot in Safe Mode then i would go into Utilities > Disk Utility

select your OS X boot drive

Repair Disk Permissions

Exit Disk Utility when Disk Permissions repaired

launch MultiBeast and apply network, audio and the latest Chimera then run the install

when done Reboot in Verbose -v so you can see OS X loading

and then see if you can boot from Hard Drive :think:

Hi Oli,

if you can boot in Safe Mode then i would go into Utilities > Disk Utility

select your OS X boot drive

Repair Disk Permissions

Exit Disk Utility when Disk Permissions repaired

launch MultiBeast and apply network, audio and the latest Chimera then run the install

when done Reboot in Verbose -v so you can see OS X loading

and then see if you can boot from Hard Drive :think:

Thank you for your help Robbish,

Looks like I have more explaining to do...:oops:

It turns out I cannot even boot in safe mode now, as I don't reach the bootloader screen. This is because I hooked my SSD up to another computer and wiped it in the hope that I could do a fresh install. I was certain before hand that I could also boot from the Carbon Copy Cloned HDD without the SSD. (Looks like I may have been wrong...)

I'm still really confused as to why I can't just do a fresh install as if I were booting it for the first time?

Cheers for your suggestion anyway. If you have anything to add that would be helpful!

Oli

Hi Oli,

It's possible that you have accidentally corrupted your UniBeast Installer however i do not want to blame that just yet so please try the following;

i recommend that you use your USB2 port for UniBeast USB and you should disconnect all other peripherals for now to avoid any conflicting devices whilst dealing with this issue.

If you are dual booting then disconnect your non OSX HDDs /SSDs for now. You ONLY want your keyboard, mouse, speakers and 1 screen connected for the time being.

Reset your BIOS settings using the settings provided by the post below for 7 Series motherboards (remember for Chimera, your OSX boot drive cannot boot in UEFI mode so you have to set it as P0 in your BIOS);
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

and whilst you're there (and totally unrelated to your current problem), i recommend that you disable Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage otherwise your USB devices will not wake after sleep.

Here's how you locate it;
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features > Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage > Disabled

Save & Exit Setup and reboot

Boot back into UEFI BIOS, go to Save & Exit menu and then down to Boot Override and select your UniBeast USB drive (normally labelled as the usb make/model name) and you are going to boot to that.

There is a quicker way to do this but it does not work on Apple Keyboards and i cannot remember if its F11 or F12 so go ahead and do that if you prefer

You should now be booted into UniBeast so if you can see Chimera then problem solved as you should now have the ability to do a fresh install OR select your CCC clone and boot from that ?

Thanks again Robbish for your quick, helpful and well written suggestion.

I will try this tomorrow as soon as I get back from work and update you with, or without, success.

Cheers

Hi Oli,

It's possible that you have accidentally corrupted your UniBeast Installer however i do not want to blame that just yet so please try the following;

i recommend that you use your USB2 port for UniBeast USB and you should disconnect all other peripherals for now to avoid any conflicting devices whilst dealing with this issue.

If you are dual booting then disconnect your non OSX HDDs /SSDs for now. You ONLY want your keyboard, mouse, speakers and 1 screen connected for the time being.

Reset your BIOS settings using the settings provided by the post below for 7 Series motherboards (remember for Chimera, your OSX boot drive cannot boot in UEFI mode so you have to set it as P0 in your BIOS);
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

and whilst you're there (and totally unrelated to your current problem), i recommend that you disable Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage otherwise your USB devices will not wake after sleep.

Here's how you locate it;
M.I.T. > Advanced Frequency Settings > Advanced CPU Core Features > Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage > Disabled

Save & Exit Setup and reboot

Boot back into UEFI BIOS, go to Save & Exit menu and then down to Boot Override and select your UniBeast USB drive (normally labelled as the usb make/model name) and you are going to boot to that.

There is a quicker way to do this but it does not work on Apple Keyboards and i cannot remember if its F11 or F12 so go ahead and do that if you prefer

You should now be booted into UniBeast so if you can see Chimera then problem solved as you should now have the ability to do a fresh install OR select your CCC clone and boot from that ?

Robbish,

I have had no success tonight unfortunately, and I am still landing at the "No proper boot device" screen. I have followed your instructions down to a tee! Other than disabling Internal CPU PLL Overvoltage, as I could not find it... Perhaps I have a different revision motherboard? But nonetheless you said this part was unrelated.

I am now going to assume that my UniBeast drive is corrupt, and it would be best to make a new one?

I thank you for your patience and help with my dilemma.

Oli

Sorry things didn't work for you Oli,

I can only think that you have a corrupted UniBeast flash drive (although I'm unsure of why that would happen?)

You couldn't find Internal CPU PLL Overvolt because you are running and out of date BIOS

Update your DS3H BIOS to version F9 and re-apply all of those UEFI BIOS settings we covered earlier.

@OliJenkins

For a Rev1.0 board update BIOS to F11 and use these settings:
GA-Z77-DS3H-BIOS1.JPGGA-Z77-DS3H-BIOS2.JPGGA-Z77-DS3H-BIOS7.JPGGA-Z77-DS3H-BIOS8.JPGGA-Z77-DS3H-BIOS9.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back