i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone!

Sorry for being so naive, but why is there no out-of-the-box certified thread ? I'm looking for an high end CG card that works OOB like my old 660Ti, and I'm having troubles to find such a thread... Is there any reason why no one would start a thread like that?

Hello everyone!

Sorry for being so naive, but why is there no out-of-the-box certified thread ? I'm looking for an high end CG card that works OOB like my old 660Ti, and I'm having troubles to find such a thread... Is there any reason why no one would start a thread like that?

Apple have not really changed GPU driver support since Mountain Lion. Hence why we recommend the nVidia models in the Buyers guide. There are regularly updated drivers for these cards for Yosemite and El Capitan. AMD cards can be more hit and miss - see the Graphics section stickies for more info. :thumbup:

Yeah, understood! That's what I thought.

But my question is more on the OOB thread, wouldn't that be a useful part of the site ?

There has always been a buyers guide, there is also a clear note with links that alert readers to the fact that additional drivers are required. Older buyers guides still list models of cards from the past. Take this buying advice stickie as an example.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...older-versions-os-x-using-older-chipsets.html
The information is easy to find as all of the OOTB cards are older versions like your 660. Although a GTX 660 or 760 will work, neither have been widely availlable to purchase new for some time. The 9** series is is due to be replaced with new models over the coming weeks/months.

There has always been a buyers guide, there is also a clear note with links that alert readers to the fact that additional drivers are required. Older buyers guides still list models of cards from the past. Take this buying advice stickie as an example.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...older-versions-os-x-using-older-chipsets.html
The information is easy to find as all of the OOTB cards are older versions like your 660. Although a GTX 660 or 760 will work, neither have been widely availlable to purchase new for some time. The 9** series is is due to be replaced with new models over the coming weeks/months.

+1

An OOB thread would actually be of limited use. OP mentioned a high end graphics card, yet the last 'natively' supported cards were the 760 and 650 series, and a similar age for some AMD cards. By no measure could these be considered high end today. And availability is sketchy at best. You may get lucky on selling sites.

nVidia does a good job with its driver package which makes newer cards work 100%, but that still doesn't make them 'native' or 'OOB'.

Yeah, understood! That's what I thought.

But my question is more on the OOB thread, wouldn't that be a useful part of the site ?

I agree, a short, concise list would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back