Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here with Asus GTX760 DC2OC.

I tried editing AGPM, and it seemed to working. The GPU changed from low to high, boost, then back to low again.

Everything worked perfectly until I opened Photoshop or Open CL testing app. The GPU frequency just stuck at 1GHz.

Kepler/Mobile is AGPM native, device_ids:
GT 650M - 10DE0FD5 GK107
GT 640M - 10DE0FD8 GK107
GTX 660M - 10DE0FE0 GK107
GTX 675MX - 10DE11A2 GK104
GTX 680MX - 10DE11A3 GK 104)

Do not use Fermi AGPM (post above) with Kepler, do not use Kepler AGPM with Fermi.

OK, I´m using the profile of the GeForce GTX 775M out of the iMac 14.2 (Vendor 10de Device 119d),
changed the Device ID to 1187 to match with the GTX 760.

as fa as i see, it´s working (FinalCut, OpenGLExtensionViewer,..), but several apps (vlc, mac office, adobe cs6,...) won´t throttle down, WHY?
maybe i´m too stupid to understand the problem. Any help?

I'm having the same prob's with my EVGA gtx760 SC..... but what i don't understand is why on ML i did not have any of this it just worked out the box....

:thumbdown:

Lets hope the guys that know will come up with a fix.

I'm having the same prob's with my EVGA gtx760 SC..... but what i don't understand is why on ML i did not have any of this it just worked out the box....

:thumbdown:

Lets hope the guys that know will come up with a fix.

Probably when nvidia web drivers for mavericks release

I don't think this is a big issue. Even though the clock rates may not be throttling down, that's not what causes heat and power consumption. It's the current draw that we have to worry about. I suspect even at full clock rates, the current draw is very low when applications are not taxing the GPU very much. Same can be said of the CPU if you choose to disable power management.

The key thing is to watch temps. As long as temps are below 70 C or so, there are no potential long term issues. You can also listen to the fan on the graphics card. If it's pretty quiet, there's not much to worry about. For iMacs and Mini's, they have a very compact design so both power management is a bigger deal.

I'm having the same problem with my gtx 670. it stays at 1.0GHz and boosts up to 1.12 when i run a benchmark and then it drops to 1.0 again. in 10.8.4 it would drop to 324mhz when at idle and i didn't have to touch the agpm.kext. i tried editing the kext and it still isn't cycling through the states. not worried about the temp as it runs at 53c at its current speed.

Not likely; Nvidia web drivers do not touch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

The last time (in 10.8.4) that I tried Nvidia Web drivers over the default ones caused the GPU to not throttle down even with AGPM.kext modifications. And yet, with the default drivers the GPU power would go down when activity was lower - even without the kext modifications.

I'm not here to argue. I just wan't to understand which of the kexts has actual control over the power management.

I am seeing the same constant high GPU power in 10.9 as reported by many in this thread. By the way, is there similar behavior on AMD GPUs or is it just Nvidia that are affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back