EVGA GTX 740 SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,
I need help with my first Hackinstosh, please.
After doing much research I decided to take on the task. I read the hardware recommendations and this is what I went with.
Intel i5 4670K Haswell CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi
16GB G-Skill Ripjaws X
Galaxy GTX460 **(Already had this lying around)
EVGA Hydron Air Case
PNY XLR8 240 GB SSD (Windows side)
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SSD (Mac side)

1) Built the machine with all, except one of the SSD's using the following guide:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

BIOS setup: Loaded Optimized defaults, enabled AHCI, and set boot to Legacy only, DVD ROM first.

Installed per directions. Booted into OSX using iBoot (Haswell). Set up system. Applied combo 10.6.8 update, DID NOT REBOOT, ran Multibeast. Selected EasyBeast and System Utilities Option. Rebooted directly to SSD.

ISSUES: After powering on, it would quickly flash the apple logo screen for like half a second, and reboot again. Did the same thing over and over.
I tried using iBoot again, and then it would freeze at the apple logo screen, no spinning wheel, just a freeze.

2) I removed the GTX 460 video card and tried using on board graphics. Restarted the process, erased the SSD. Installed OSX, combo update, multibeast, and ended up with the same exact ISSUES.

I researched a few things on my BIOS. I went ahead and updated the BIOS to the latest version.
I set the following. XHCI=Auto, XHCI Hand-off=Enabled, EHCI Hand-off=Enabled, Intel Rapid Start Tech=Disabled. I tried different combinations, nothing I tried would work.

When I do not apply the combo and multibeast update, I can reboot into OSX just fine using iBoot. Its when I run the updates I have then issue and can not progress.

Any ideas as to what it is I am doing wrong? Pleas help me. :crazy:
Thank you in advance....

Hi,
I need help with my first Hackinstosh, please.
After doing much research I decided to take on the task. I read the hardware recommendations and this is what I went with.
Intel i5 4670K Haswell CPU
Gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi
16GB G-Skill Ripjaws X
Galaxy GTX460 **(Already had this lying around)
EVGA Hydron Air Case
PNY XLR8 240 GB SSD (Windows side)
Mushkin Chronos 240 GB SSD (Mac side)

1) Built the machine with all, except one of the SSD's using the following guide:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html

BIOS setup: Loaded Optimized defaults, enabled AHCI, and set boot to Legacy only, DVD ROM first.

Installed per directions. Booted into OSX using iBoot (Haswell). Set up system. Applied combo 10.6.8 update, DID NOT REBOOT, ran Multibeast. Selected EasyBeast and System Utilities Option. Rebooted directly to SSD.

ISSUES: After powering on, it would quickly flash the apple logo screen for like half a second, and reboot again. Did the same thing over and over.
I tried using iBoot again, and then it would freeze at the apple logo screen, no spinning wheel, just a freeze.

2) I removed the GTX 460 video card and tried using on board graphics. Restarted the process, erased the SSD. Installed OSX, combo update, multibeast, and ended up with the same exact ISSUES.

I researched a few things on my BIOS. I went ahead and updated the BIOS to the latest version.
I set the following. XHCI=Auto, XHCI Hand-off=Enabled, EHCI Hand-off=Enabled, Intel Rapid Start Tech=Disabled. I tried different combinations, nothing I tried would work.

When I do not apply the combo and multibeast update, I can reboot into OSX just fine using iBoot. Its when I run the updates I have then issue and can not progress.

Any ideas as to what it is I am doing wrong? Pleas help me. :crazy:
Thank you in advance....
There will never be support in the kernel on snow leopard for haswell hardware you need to start from Scratch and install snow leopard using iboot haswell just like you've already done then reboot into freshly installed snow leopard using iboot haswell and run update helper reboot again and use iboot haswell again run update combo then install your Ethernet drivers with multibeast only nothing else and reboot using iboot haswell then download either mountain lion or mavericks thru the Mac App Store I recommend mavericks since it's free and it has better support for your hardware the. Proceed to make a unibeast USB installer and follow the mavericks guide

run update helper reboot again and use iboot haswell again run update combo then install your Ethernet drivers with multibeast only nothing else and reboot using iboot haswell

Thank you for your reply. I tried this, it did not work, same thing.
Question, UpdateHelper gave me a disclaimer that is was for SandyBridge, or the other bridge, cant remember. I used it anyway.Does it matter? Is there a helper for Haswell?

Still stuck.
I had previously downloaded Mavericks on the other hard drive I have. Now I am trying to use Unibeast to try that method, but as soon as I try to run it, I get "The Installation Failed." An unknown installation error occurred.
I am using an 8 GB USB stick, formatted as directed.

Question, UpdateHelper gave me a disclaimer that is was for SandyBridge, or the other bridge, cant remember. I used it anyway.Does it matter? Is there a helper for Haswell?

Still stuck.
I had previously downloaded Mavericks on the other hard drive I have. Now I am trying to use Unibeast to try that method, but as soon as I try to run it, I get "The Installation Failed." An unknown installation error occurred.
be sure that you have VT-D disabled from the bios if you can't disable it boot with dart=0

typical installation procedure on haswell hardware
*load optimized defaults in bios settings disable VT-D and sata controller mode set to AHCI which is the most important also remove your graphics card for now until you get to mavericks and choose the onboard graphics in the bios settings enable HPET and set it to 64 bit Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1 set Boot Priority to CD/DVD first for best results with the 8-series gigabyte motherboards and Haswell CPUs, remove all but 1 stick of RAM for the installation process. You can put back extra RAM sticks after post-installation is finished on mavericks
*boot using boot haswell and snow leopard retail dvd (use dart=0 boot flag if you couldn't disable vt-d) and install following format procedure.
*reboot using iboot haswell and and select your new installation and complete installation. Update to 10.6.8 using combo update from apple website don't reboot and install only your ethernet driver with multibeast and system utilities and nothing else not boot loader no easy beast nothing but the ethernet and system utilities
*reboot using iboot haswell select your new updated snow leopard installation and open mac app store and log in if having troubles logging in search here for app store fix and follow the guides that come up then download mavericks and unibeast and mavericks multibeast and make your usb installer with unibeast then follow the mavericks guide and post any issues for mavericks in a new thread under mavericks desktop support

Best of luck
Carpentry

Still stuck.

Have a look at the troubleshooting notes for UniBeast:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/unibeast/102443-unibeast-troubleshooting-notes.html

I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Facet8GB drive that is under 8GB in size, therefor it does not work. I replaced it with a Cruzer Blade 16GB and Cruzer Edge 16GB - both of these work well.:thumbup:

Adrian B

install only your ethernet driver with multibeast and system utilities and nothing else not boot loader no easy beast nothing but the ethernet and system utilities

This part is handled by iBoot haswell. It is not recommended that MultiBeast is used with modern boards and CPUs for Snow Leopard. It is fine to do with socket 775 upto and including Sandy Bridge hardware for those wishing to run a Snow Leopard installation.:thumbup:

Adrian B

This part is handled by iBoot haswell. It is not recommended that MultiBeast is used with modern boards and CPUs for Snow Leopard. It is fine to do with socket 775 upto and including Sandy Bridge hardware for those wishing to run a Snow Leopard installation.:thumbup:

Adrian B
I didn't realize that the ethernet drivers were included in the boot haswell however that's awesome to know I knew there was no need to install the boot loader and other settings as it would never boot from hdd anyhow but thanks for the info always learning I thought it was needed to be able to access the mac app store but if its included in the boot haswell that's even simpler
Thanks again:headbang:
Carpentry

[SUCCESS]No boot after applying Update and MultiBeast / Snow Leapard

SUCCESS!
Carpentryplus, I would like to thank you for your advise, I was able to get my machine going with some of your tips (I modified your quote a bit to just the things that worked for me). I ALMOST gave up and was contemplating just sticking with Windows only again.

In a nutshell:
1) Removed my video card and left only 1 stick of RAM.
2) I loaded optimized defaults in my BIOS. AHCI is enabled by default on my mobo. Set boot priority to the DVD-ROM. Also set XHCI=Auto, XHCI Hand-off=Enabled, EHCI Hand-off=Enabled
3) Used iBoot Haswell, then installed Snow Leopard.
4) Rebooted again using iBoot Haswell, and then selected my installation and continued.
5) **This was my snag.....I DID NOT use Multibeast (iBoot Haswell included Ethernet drivers). I simply upgraded to 10.6.8 using the normal Mac update process, then Rebooted with iBoot Haswell again.
6) I now had access to the App store where I downloaded Mavericks.
7) Created Unibeast USB drive per guide and installed Mavericks without any hiccups.
8) Re-installed the graphics card and RAM.
9) Set BIOS for PCIe slot as primary graphics and disabled Intel Graphics.
10) Next snag! It would boot into a black screen after the Apple logo and seemed to put my monitor to sleep.
11) after much research, found a simple fix. Set bootflag to GraphicsEnabler=YES
12) I then used Mutibeast to load my audio drivers. I used ALC892

SUCCESS!
I have a fully functioning dual boot Hackintosh running Mavericks and Windows 8.1 :headbang:

typical installation procedure on haswell hardware
*load optimized defaults in bios settings. Ensure sata controller mode set to AHCI which is the most important also remove your graphics card for now until you get to mavericks and choose the onboard graphics in the bios settings.
*Set Boot Priority to CD/DVD first for best results with the 8-series gigabyte motherboards and Haswell CPUs, remove all but 1 stick of RAM for the installation process. You can put back extra RAM sticks after post-installation is finished on mavericks
*boot using boot haswell, then replace with snow leopard retail dvd, install.
*reboot using iboot haswell and and select your new installation and complete installation.
*Update to 10.6.8 using combo update from apple website.
*reboot using iboot haswell select your new updated snow leopard installation and open mac store app and log in if having troubles logging in search here for app store fix and follow the guides that come up then download mavericks.
*make your usb installer with unibeast then follow the mavericks guide
Best of luck
Carpentry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back