Mac
  1. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. Power Mac
  3. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok, so super weird issue, was not able to find with a search. So I’ve got a machine been running Mojave. It’s a Z77X-UD5H board, Core i5 quad, 32gig. Now I had been previously running this with a GTX 660 Ti, which isn’t supported under Mojave, but it had limited function. So I recently got a XFX RX 580. Now, when I install it, Clover takes a really long time to load. As in long time with a black screen and takes about a minute. When it does finally load, I get my volumes, except all the AFPS volumes are missing. OK. Nothing changed other than the video card. If I put my GTX 660 Ti back the volumes reappear. But, if I try to boot with the RX580, they disappear.

Has anyone encountered this and is there a solution?

Last edited:
We generally try to avoid RX 580 cards from XFX because of their non-reference port layouts. Some questions:
  • Are you running Mojave 10.14.5?
  • Are you using a DisplayPort to DisplayPort connection (no video adapters)?
  • Have you tried connecting the DisplayPort cable to the motherboard's DP port?
  • What version of Clover is installed on the MacOS EFI partition?
    • One way to do this: Clover Configurator --> Install/Update Clover (left side panel) --> Check Now.
  • Have you installed Lilu and WhateverGreen?
    • If so, which versions?

Ok. Good questions good starting point.

Yes I am running 10.14.5. That’s somewhat irrelevant though as it hanging issues at the bootloader not the OS.

I’m not using the DisplayPort. I’m using DVI. I could see if I have a display port cable.

Booting off the motherboard is irrelevant. Firstly the issue goes away with any other graphics card. The bootloader seems to be having issues even loading if the RX580 is present.

My Clover version is 4931. I suppose I can see if a newer version resolved it.

Lilu and whatever green are only factors if I can boot that far. These issues are manifesting right at the bootloader.

Last edited:
Ok. So installing a newer version of clover resulted in the system being unbootable. So I had to boot off a backup drive and then I could downgrade. I just used the multibeast installer to downgrade and now it’s bootable again except the RX580 still doesn’t work. Any tricks or settings to try there would’ve nice.

Ok. So installing a newer version of clover resulted in the system being unbootable. So I had to boot off a backup drive and then I could downgrade. I just used the multibeast installer to downgrade and now it’s bootable again except the RX580 still doesn’t work. Any tricks or settings to try there would’ve nice.
Radeon XXX RX video cards manufactured by XFX are reported to have problems; other brands like MSI, Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte don't have such issues.

Ok. Good questions good starting point.

Yes I am running 10.14.5. That’s somewhat irrelevant though as it hanging issues at the bootloader not the OS.
10.14.5 has the best driver support for AMD GPUs. If you were running an earlier build of Mojave, we would asked you to update first.

Booting off the motherboard is irrelevant. Firstly the issue goes away with any other graphics card. The bootloader seems to be having issues even loading if the RX580 is present.
The point of this is to isolate the problem. There are 3 GPUs in your collection: the Nvidia, the AMD, and the built-in IGPU. This tries to determine whether the APFS problem occurs only with RX 580.

My Clover version is 4931. I suppose I can see if a newer version resolved it.

Lilu and whatever green are only factors if I can boot that far. These issues are manifesting right at the bootloader.
Because the problem only occurs with RX 580, which slot are you installing into? Are you taking out the Nvidia and placing the RX 580 into the same slot?

Are the APFS drives SATA? Have you checked your motherboard’s manual to see whether any SATA ports become unavailable if certain PCIe slots are occupied (due to shared lanes)?

10.14.5 has the best driver support for AMD GPUs. If you were running an earlier build of Mojave, we would asked you to update first.
fair enough, but kinda hard to do that if you are hanging and the bootloader and the bootloader isn't showing any of the bootable drives. The issues isn't occuring when MacOS boot ups, or with graphics not working when it does, the issue is occuring before thatso I can't even get to the OS.

The point of this is to isolate the problem. There are 3 GPUs in your collection: the Nvidia, the AMD, and the built-in IGPU. This tries to determine whether the APFS problem occurs only with RX 580.

Because the problem only occurs with RX 580, which slot are you installing into? Are you taking out the Nvidia and placing the RX 580 into the same slot?
Yes, I'm only putting in one graphics card, I could technically have 2 cards, but it gets pretty crowded.

Are the APFS drives SATA? Have you checked your motherboard’s manual to see whether any SATA ports become unavailable if certain PCIe slots are occupied (due to shared lanes)?
They are SATA. I'm not aware of any such issue. But i can't rule it out either. But theres noting in the manual about it that I can find. However the bootloader does eventually load, which is on said SATA drives, it does show volumes, just not any that are APFS volumes.

To me what I think is happening is that the bootloader is having some kind of conflict with the card, and as such isn't loading any of its drivers either, so it never loads the APFS drivers.

I completely misunderstood your first post. It sounded like Clover finally starts and you can log into Mojave, but all your APFS (presumably the SATA) disks do not mount.

But it seems you're stuck at the Clover Boot Menu. Mentioning that would have removed all doubt.

I've encountered this problem several times and always managed to clear it on my Z390 motherboard by doing this after the new card or device has been installed:
  • Full shutdown. This means unplugging power cable for 10 seconds then restarting.
  • If this fails, clear CMOS by shorting the two pins on motherboard per user manual. But for most people it's better to re-flash the BIOS and set BIOS parameters again.
When removing or installing PCIe devices we should always disconnect power cable. There is always standby current flowing to the system when power cable is plugged in (or switch on power supply is in the ON position).

I completely misunderstood your first post. It sounded like Clover finally starts and you can log into Mojave, but all your APFS (presumably the SATA) disks do not mount.

But it seems you're stuck at the Clover Boot Menu. Mentioning that would have removed all doubt.

I've encountered this problem several times and always managed to clear it on my Z390 motherboard by doing this after the new card or device has been installed:
  • Full shutdown. This means unplugging power cable for 10 seconds then restarting.
  • If this fails, clear CMOS by shorting the two pins on motherboard per user manual. But for most people it's better to re-flash the BIOS and set BIOS parameters again.
When removing or installing PCIe devices we should always disconnect power cable. There is always standby current flowing to the system when power cable is plugged in (or switch on power supply is in the ON position).
Yes the power was disconnected when doing this.

And yes the CMOS has been cleared.

Radeon XXX RX video cards manufactured by XFX are reported to have problems; other brands like MSI, Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte don't have such issues.
Yes the power was disconnected when doing this.

And yes the CMOS has been cleared.
Again, we don't recommend XFX video cards because of their tainted history on macOS.
  • Clover/macOS works with your Nvidia GPU.
  • Clover/macOS works with your iGPU.
  • Clover fails with your XFX GPU.
What would the logical next step be?

Note 4 (link):
Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 7.14.47 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back