CPU
i7-930
Graphics
2x HD 5770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just upgraded my Hack system to El Capitan and mostly everything is good, except I cannot add a printer. ANY printer. I go to System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners, go to click on the +, but nothing happens. I've even tried adding a printer from Word. No luck.

Please help! I have reports that need printing and no options to print. o_O

I've just upgraded my Hack system to El Capitan and mostly everything is good, except I cannot add a printer. ANY printer. I go to System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners, go to click on the +, but nothing happens. I've even tried adding a printer from Word. No luck.

Please help! I have reports that need printing and no options to print. o_O

Is your printer connected to WIFI? Mine comes up like this.

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 21.37.46.png

Hi VioletDragon,

No, it's connected via USB and actually a shared printer. When I was using Yosemite, it worked perfectly through my PC upstairs. The moment I switched to El Capitan, I could no longer add a printer. I even brought the printer down to my Hackintosh and plugged it directly into the computer. No change.

The problem is that, in the Printers & Scanners window, no printers show up. So, logic would state that you click on the + symbol to add a printer. It isn't greyed-out, so it should work, but clicking on it doesn't bring up a dialogue window to choose a printer. :thumbdown

At this point, I will take anything, even a third party app, to force this computer to print something.

Hi VioletDragon,

No, it's connected via USB and actually a shared printer. When I was using Yosemite, it worked perfectly through my PC upstairs. The moment I switched to El Capitan, I could no longer add a printer. I even brought the printer down to my Hackintosh and plugged it directly into the computer. No change.

The problem is that, in the Printers & Scanners window, no printers show up. So, logic would state that you click on the + symbol to add a printer. It isn't greyed-out, so it should work, but clicking on it doesn't bring up a dialogue window to choose a printer. :thumbdown

At this point, I will take anything, even a third party app, to force this computer to print something.

Try downloading drivers from manufacturers website see if that helps.

Already done. Pretty much anything that could be done under normal circumstances has been done, short of erasing everything and starting from scratch... which is not much of an option. I was hoping this was a common problem with a simple solution, but the best I've found are people whose printers don't show up when they click on the + symbol. Mine just doesn't open to give me that choice.

I'm now hoping that it's something to do with how I set up Multibeast or configured Clover.

The Rules said:
Do not cross post or create identical threads in multiple forums. Duplicate threads will be deleted

I am having the same problem.
El Capitan 10.11.5

after clicking the + sign to add printer I don't receive the add printer dialog box.
I tried to reset the mac printing system as instructed on apple website:https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203343
No luck.
Workaround which I used was in firefox (any other program should do the same) I clicked file/ print and under the drop-down menu for printer I selected nearby printers and added the network printer I needed.
Not sure if this is going to help with USB printer.

... it's connected via USB and actually a shared printer. When I was using Yosemite, it worked perfectly through my PC upstairs. The moment I switched to El Capitan, I could no longer add a printer. I even brought the printer down to my Hackintosh and plugged it directly into the computer. No change.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18710?locale=en_US ? Can you access the Win PC? "In the Finder, choose Go > “Connect to Server,” then click Browse."

Firewall TCP 445 open? If not, what settings in the Firewall will allow connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back