i7 4790k
Graphics
GeForce GtX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey G5 Builders,
I'm looking into the possibility of my first custom build, and my only apprehension is my uncertainty for the systems reliability. Thats why I come to you!

To explain a bit further - I'm a photographer and because of this I face the same computing challenges as most other people in creative industries. Large files transfers, and heavy footed adobe programs like lightroom and photoshop running simultaneously to name the most frequent heavy computing loads. I'd be gutting and building out of a G5 that I was just recently given.

IF reliability is an issue, I'll be purchasing the new imac 27in w/ 5k display maxed out instead. I would really like to be able to build a better machine for less money. duh. :thumbup:

Desired system requirements:
-RELIABILITY! I'd like to set it and forget it!
-Support for both thunderbolt and 4k displays
-The newest, biggest, baddest intel processor that's out there while also being user tested/approved
-32 (possibly 64) ram
-SSD boot drive and spinning disk for storage
-graphics i have no clue...maybe you'd have input here?

Bottom line is, is this build possible? And would it be reliable? Also, has anyone built a similar work horse? If so, what are your thoughts, input, advice?

Thanks folks,

-Dallas

Bottom line is, is this build possible? And would it be reliable? Also, has anyone built a similar work horse? If so, what are your thoughts, input, advice?

Thanks folks,

-Dallas

My advice is to go with the Apple iMac. When it comes to your revenue stream your lowest risk is with the iMac.

However if you have the time and interest in hacks you can build a very interesting machine that will do almost everything that the Mac will do and do it faster if you invest in the the correct set of parts. The problem is that you are your own support. If you are a talented/experienced hacker this is not a big challenge. If on the other hand your are inexperienced with integrating your own hardware, operating system and apps, then it is not advisable to risk your revenue stream.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back