Contribute
Register

New VoodooPS2Controller, Keyboard, Trackpad (ClickPad support)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies in advanced if this has been covered.

Should the VooDooPS2Controller kext be expected to work on a genuine macbook pro

No. Real Macs don't use PS2.

This is with an eye towards getting a PS2 Keyboard working via a passive USB converter to convert the connection.

Hardware is probably not compatible with Mac.

So sounds like the only options are to write my own drivers or get a different kb. I thought of possibly figuring out which linux drivers match this kb and using those as a starting point....

So sounds like the only options are to write my own drivers or get a different kb. I thought of possibly figuring out which linux drivers match this kb and using those as a starting point....

USB keyboards are inexpensive and widely available. PS2 is very very old (from the 1980s) and (thankfully) is being phased out.

USB keyboards are inexpensive and widely available. PS2 is very very old (from the 1980s) and (thankfully) is being phased out.

I mean, yes. that is clearly true. It my case I have an old ergo keyboard that I _love_ which has literally saved my wrists from premature CTS-RSI-GameOver. There may be others that would work for me ... its true. But I really like this one, and it's unfortunately PS/2 only.

Surely there are others out there who wish for at least the OPTION to use an old kb.

As someone who has already walked that path, do you consider Xcode critical to writing OSX drivers and kernel extensions? I was looking at IOKit and seems straight forward enough, although my cpp skills are underdeveloped to say the least. Which is another reason to consider doing a 'real' project that would at the same time solve a problem I'm having.

I mean, yes. that is clearly true. It my case I have an old ergo keyboard that I _love_ which has literally saved my wrists from premature CTS-RSI-GameOver. There may be others that would work for me ... its true. But I really like this one, and it's unfortunately PS/2 only.

Surely there are others out there who wish for at least the OPTION to use an old kb.

As someone who has already walked that path, do you consider Xcode critical to writing OSX drivers and kernel extensions? I was looking at IOKit and seems straight forward enough, although my cpp skills are underdeveloped to say the least. Which is another reason to consider doing a 'real' project that would at the same time solve a problem I'm having.

Find USB->PS2 adapter. Don't know if they make them... It would have to appear as a USB keyboard to the system, but PS2 to to the keyboard.

Xcode is Apple's IDE for developers, whether for drivers, apps for OS X, or apps for iPad/iPhone, etc.

I think your problem is better solved with hardware.

I did a merge in the bpedman_merge branch. You can build and test it.

bpedman stopped maintaining it, so I'm not sure it works...

Hi Rehabman,

On my M6600, the battery status is now showing in the menu bar with your 'bped_merge' VoodooPS2 installed.
Great guidance.

Thanks a lot

First install Xcode.

You can build it yourself:

In Terminal:
Code:
cd ~
mkdir Projects
cd Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Voodoo-PS2-Controller.git ps2.git
cd ps2.git
git checkout bpedman_merge
make
make distribute
open Distribute

You may need to change the SDK in use to 10.9 (10.8 SDK isn't included in latest Xcode... I have salvaged it from older versions of Xcode).

Here is a build from my machine just now, attached...

Hi Rehabman,

XCode: 6.1.1
SDK:10.9

I am trying to build VoodooPS2 on the above param, but I'm getting the error below. Am I missing something? which one?
Thanks.

cd /Users/john/voodooProjects/ps2.git
/usr/bin/touch -c /Users/john/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/VoodooPS2Controller-aptaslgdqrcwqyaxhkdumcpekpna/Build/Products/Release/synapticsconfigload.dSYM

** BUILD SUCCEEDED **

johns-mbp:ps2.git john$ make distribute
if [ -e ./Distribute ]; then rm -r ./Distribute; fi
mkdir ./Distribute
cp -R ./Build/Products/ ./Distribute
cp: ./Build/Products/: No such file or directory
make: *** [distribute] Error 1
johns-mbp:ps2.git john$

Oh. In the architecture setting beside the OS X 10.9, It says No SDK (Latest OS X). does this mean I have to download SDK 10.9 or Xcode 6.1 :)

Hi Rehabman,

XCode: 6.1.1
SDK:10.9

I am trying to build VoodooPS2 on the above param, but I'm getting the error below. Am I missing something? which one?
Thanks.

Oh. In the architecture setting beside the OS X 10.9, It says No SDK (Latest OS X). does this mean I have to download SDK 10.9 or Xcode 6.1 :)

You have to build it with 'make' before trying to use 'make distribute' (which creates the .ZIP).

I build with SDK 10.8 or SDK 10.7. I keep the SDKs from old versions of Xcode and install them to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/

It will probably work with newer SDKs (10.9/10.10/10.11) but I have not tested with them. I build with old SDKs in order to make sure the code works on older versions of OS X (tested with 10.6 through 10.11).

Recently, I accidentally changed the project to use "latest SDK", but later realized my mistake and switched it 10.7, not realizing I had been using 10.8. I'll probably switch to 10.8 before I do the next official build.

This applies only to the 'master' branch. I don't regularly look at the 'bpedman_merge' branch, so I couldn't tell you what SDK is set in the project. You can change it as you see fit, and test it as necessary.

You have to build it with 'make' before trying to use 'make distribute' (which creates the .ZIP).
the 'make' log is a lot. Just copied its last line output.

I build with SDK 10.8 or SDK 10.7. I keep the SDKs from old versions of Xcode and install them to /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/
OK, I will try getting it from Xcode 4.3.3

PS. your last build of voodooPS2 is not helping in displaying my battery status at 10.10.5. Seems weird. I tried using Dr. Hurt latest kext (built yesterday) but no dice. I will try to use yours first and see what I can find. Don't wanna get docs work complicated. Thanks

the 'make' log is a lot. Just copied its last line output.

You should look at what you have in ./build.

OK, I will try getting it from Xcode 4.3.3

I just built with SDK 10.10. It built just fine.

PS. your last build of voodooPS2 is not helping in displaying my battery status at 10.10.5. Seems weird. I tried using Dr. Hurt latest kext (built yesterday) but no dice. I will try to use yours first and see what I can find. Don't wanna get docs work complicated. Thanks

I do not build ALPS versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back