1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello tonymacx86 forum people!

I have been planing to build a pc for a while now. I have been on the mac train since 2007, but with the new models being non-upgradeable at all, i feel a custom PC is the way to go, but i don't need to tell you guys... :)

I would want to use this pc, mainly for Video Content creation, but gaming too(I would like to play GTA5 on it), and I would like to have Windows on it as well. I will obviously also use it for surfing and working (on documents and other such thing) but i feel if it can run GTAV without a hitch, I should also be able to work for Word or Pages :lol:

Alright, after some research into hardware, i came up with the following list of components:

- CPU: Intel i5 4690K
- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H
- RAM: Crucial Tactical DDR3 1600- (8gig in 2x4)
- GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 gaming
- PSU: Be-Quite! 700Watt Straight Power CM
- SSD: Crucial MX200 500Gig
- Case: Fractal Define S
- CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

I currently own 2 1080p monitors, and would also want to connect my TV to it (also 1080p). In the future I would want to get a 4k monitor, but I still want to wait a couple of years (maybe next year though), until the technology is cheaper and more mainstream.

Alright, my first question would be, is it hackable?
Then I would like to know if I should change some of the components, such as exchanging the i5 for an i7 4790k (obviously the i7 is better then the i5, but the added 100€ it costs i would have to get out of not getting the water-cooling system right away, and bearing with a loud stock cooler for some time). Also, initially I wanted to get the EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ GPU, but as of late, it has been removed from my online retailer of choice, therefore i moved to gigabyte. Would that make any noticeable difference?
Also PSU, this pages only refers to corsairs PSU, but my choice of Be Quite! should not make any compatibility issues. Right?

Then I would like to know, how I can have it dual boot to windows? As i looked through the forum posts here, i came across people saying, that boot camp would not work, and that a second drive would be the way to go. Getting a second drive it no problem, but if you could correct me if im wrong. I picture it working like this: i turn on the PC, the usual boot setting is to boot in OS X, but if i so choose, I can press alt, or f10 or f12 during the beginning of the boot phase to choose Windows instead. is that how it would be?

and lastly, I would like to know, as intel's Skylake CPU release is only a month away (August, 5th). Would it be better for me to wait for it? As far as I see it, i would be on a new platform, meaning I could upgrade my CPU without getting a new motherboard with Kaby Lake. I would also be on DDR4 and not DDR3, allowing me to not have to buy new ram when upgrading in the future, right? Comparability issues should not arise, as long as I get a gigabyte motherboard. Would it be compatible with Yosemite or should rather I use El Capitan?

Update: having searched the interweb, I will most likely be going for skylake. Meaning the following three parts will be exchanged:
- CPU: Intel i5 6600K
- MB: Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8Gb DDR4-2400

Thank you in advance,
Philipp

well so far apple hasn't come out with a skylake laptop or desktop so support isn'tthere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back