Contribute
Register

New to building and mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The power supply you have listed seems a bit under powered. Search google for computer power supply calculators to see how much wattage you will need. Personally, I would go slightly above what's recommended to have a little headroom.

Be sure to check the dimensions of whichever video card you choose to ensure that it will fit in the Stream DB4 case.

Check the ASRock site to see if they have a list of approved RAM for that motherboard.

On Newegg's site, they have the Kingston HyperX Predator 960GB for $490.

Okay, looks like the power consumption is going to be an issue. calculator said 480w

actually I think I entered the info incorrectly. Can someone double check my power consumption?

I would like to stay with the Streacom power supply as it is made for the case... Will I need to sacrifice the dedicated GPU?

okay after researching a bit I had to change things up. The power supply is limited due to heat output and size so the 240w fanless Streacom PSU is as much power as I'll get with this case. The only graphics card that I could get that will keep the machine within these constraints and power from the mother board (power supply wont supply power directly to GPU) is the Geforce 1050 ti and there isn't any IOS support for 1000 series models so that's off the table.

The SSD M.2 3x4 storage is limited as well according to ASrock's website so I opted for the largest supported drive.

Here is the revised parts list:

Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K16G4D240FSB (Gray)

ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 Mini ITX

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K

Plextor M8Pe M.2 2280 1TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) PX-1TM8PeG

The Streacom ZeroFlex 240 PSU

Streacom DB4 FANLESS CHASSIS

Total Build:
$1,614

What is "SSD M.2 3x4", specifically the 3x4 part?

Getting an NVMe M.2 SSD to work with macOS can be troublesome. Personally, I never recommend it. But if you are comfortable with dealing with the headaches associated with it, they can perform better than AHCI M.2 SSDs.

@pastrychef ... Man, I'm confused with the storage!
Here are ASrock's compatibility chart, what should I go with?

upload_2017-2-26_9-32-4.png

There are three types of M.2 SSDs; SATA, NVMe, AHCI.
  1. SATA are natively supported by macOS but offer no performance improvement over standard 2.5" SSDs.
  2. NVMe needs patches and/or kexts to work properly with macOS but perform the best.
  3. AHCI are natively supported by macOS and performs much better than SATA but not quite as well as NVMe.
The two recommendations I made earlier in the thread are AHCI M.2 SSDs.

They are both NVMe.

AHCI are hard to find now. The industry has shifted to NVMe and AHCI options are few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back