Contribute
Register

New Pro Tools HD Build - [GUIDE]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, im currently using a GA-H55-USB3 with an HD3 which just hauls ass with SSDs and 16GB of RAM, but id like to build a backup machine just in case of its imminent failure. And as much support as there is for the Jetway boards, id like to get something Gigabyte (maybe that MSI???) it seems like the GIGABYTE boards work better, NO BIOS FLASHING, no usb issues etc. Plus $209 is quite pricey for a mobo IMO.

Has anyone played with these new GIGABYTE boards at all yet?

After looking at a few close photos online, it looks as if the heatsink on the GIGABYTE GA-P75-D3 shouldnt be an issue, it looks as if the PCI slots are a bit taller than the heatsink is. It also looks as though the SATA ports are as much in the way as my current 1156 GA-H55-USB3, which just needs a little TLC to thread them thru the cards. I think i might try this board......its on ebay right now for $79 and free shipping, i can get a 1155 i5 for $150 locally, and i have a few other parts laying around, suitable video card, DVD drive, an SSD, Memory, and a spare SSD (somewhere). i figure if i can at least get it to run OS X. Should be all good....I'll report back as soon as I can, unless someone beats me to it.

My only qualm now is that i dont want to leave PTHD8 for HD9......maybe i'll just stay on 10.6.8

Hi Guys,

This afternoon I ran Protools HD3 for the first time on my Hackintosh that I finished last week with a Jetway Sandybridge mobo.
I used Jeremy's guide to make the project successful. http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=324149&page=1

I used the Unibeast and in Multibeast I chose Easybeast.

The parts I did different:
PSU: Seasonic -Platinum 860;
RAM: G.Skill / 32GB PC3-12800 Kit F3-1600C10Q-32GAO (they fit right under the CPU cooler);
CPU cooler: Noctua Processor NH-D14;
Firewire card: Startech PEX1394B3;
Bluetooth: some cheap USB Bluetooth adapter that was lying in a drawer. Works perfect for mouse & keyboard.

I tried the HD core card in PCI slot 1: not visible. I tried HD card in slot 2 and the Accel cards in 3+4: all visible, all faultless in the Digitest, but the audio in a session only comes out in short snapshots.

Then I did what Jeremy did: Core-card in slot 4, Accel-cards in 2+3: everything perfect.
Even my ProControl works perfectly.

Thanks guys!!
Just made a donation.

HI
I'm trying to set up a hackintosh for Protools HD3 PCI use
I'm using an old digidesign expansion chassis which works great for many years.
Install of the Hackintosh was hard but stable now.
As a f*** newbie i just forgot that PT 9 won't work with mountain lion
Have to go back and reinstall whole system on OS Lion

QUESTION 1 : Is anyone know if this expansion chassis with a PCI card link will work on my hackintosh with PT 9 ?
QUESTION 2 : Is anyone knows how to declare this PCI card to put into the Hackintosh to communicate with chassis because i can't see it in the mac info) I was on win xp before and win found the drivers automatically

THANKS

Intel I5 3750K
Gigabyte Z77X-UDA-5H
RAM 8Go CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 560 1Go

Mani2, I tried to get an expansion chassis working but had no luck (tried for months) I ended up getting a GA-H55-USB3 and it works awesome (PTHD8 on 10.6.8), only problem is that you cant get that board anymore! and 1156 processors are so stupidly expensive and 'outdated' at this point so it looks like for anyone wanting more than an HD2, you have to succumb to the Jetway Mobo.

In other news i picked up a GA-P75-D3 mobo on ebay for $70 shipped and an i5 1155 sandy bridge for $99. Runs great on ML, but no sound, also the heatsink will have to be cut to provide space for the PCIX cards, so i think ill just get the Jetway and call it a day.

What blows is that the Jetway is $200 USD, and i just picked up that gigabyte and the processor for less than that......oh well, still cheaper than a 4k MacPro and another 4k in ebay PCIe cards.

In other news i picked up a GA-P75-D3 mobo on ebay for $70 shipped and an i5 1155 sandy bridge for $99. Runs great on ML, but no sound, also the heatsink will have to be cut to provide space for the PCIX cards, so i think ill just get the Jetway and call it a day.

Hey Squizo,
Thanks for posting this. So you can confirm that the PCH heatsink is too tall to fit the PCI-X cards over it? This is important news for prospective buyers since i have been wondering if i should get the naf93 or the P75-D3 for future builds. I do think that replacing the heatsink would not be that difficult but the naf93 also has some other perks like onboard video and dual nics. Also you should be able to get sound working on the P75-D3. Let me know if you feel like doing some experiments and we can do a skype session or the like.
Cheers,
g\

Did you ever get the MSI B75A-G43r MB working with Pro Tools? I have the Jetway going with Pro Tools 8 on 10.6.8, but Quicktime is really jittery. Been through 3 or 4 video cards. Would consider switching to the MSI (would like native USB 3 and some more PCIe slots).

If it's working, was it fairly straightforward getting it up and running?

Genzai,

Sound works in ML! Everything works fine in ML, just no on board sound in SL 10.6.x. I sold the combo to a friend of mine, i might mess around with the MSI motherboard but honestly im hoping TheLostSwede will give me a few other roads to travel....someday my 1156 Gigabyte setup is gonna die and im going to need a backup!

Genzai,

Sound works in ML! Everything works fine in ML, just no on board sound in SL 10.6.x. I sold the combo to a friend of mine, i might mess around with the MSI motherboard but honestly im hoping TheLostSwede will give me a few other roads to travel....someday my 1156 Gigabyte setup is gonna die and im going to need a backup!

can you confirm that the heatsink was in the way of installing an HD3? how did you get around that issue?
Thanks,
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back