Contribute
Register

New Player - Low Profile Intel DH61AG mini-ITX - G4 Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Player - Low Profile Intel DH61AG mini-ITX

Here you go neilhart, kextstat output attached.

USB2 connected devices available immediately after wake up - checked with USB stick and Elgato EyeTV Hybrid TV tuner. Network comes back immediately too. Have no Bluetooth and Intel Wireless-N 1000 module has no driver so cannot comment.

Attachments

• kst.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 191

beastyfellow said:
Sleep works! :headbang: I'm not a "super guru" so had to experiment a bit to make it work. Here's config and basic instructions.

CPU i5-2500K (underclocked to 2.1GHz, Turbo Boost disabled) - sounds a bit awkward, though I had PVR setup originally on i3-2100T (35W, HD2000 Gfx) - it has low profile cooler and run very quiet, but HD2000 is no go on hackintosh… So I happen to get i5-2500K (HD3000 Gfx) and under clocked to fit into my setup.
MB DH61AG (BIOS rev. 0031).
RAM 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX
SSD Intel mSATA 80GB
HDD Seagate 750GB
WiFi mPCIe Intel N 1000 - no luck, since there's no driver for OSX

1. Installed Lion via UniBeast, upgraded to 10.7.2 and added following via MultiBeast
- FakeSMC & MB plug-in
- NullCPUPowerManagement
- ALC8xxHDA, AppleHDA Rollback, Non-DSDT HDAEnabler ALC892 - I guess this could be done via DSDT but enabler is good enough :)
- TRIM Enabler - for my SSD
- Hnak's AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet
- Chimera bootloader
- System definition Mac mini
2. Extracted DSDT using Linux Mint 12 live CD.
Code:
sudo cat /proc/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > dsdt.aml
3. Run DSDTFixer cleanup on it. Google for latest version.
4. Copied DSDT to /Extra (see below mine attached). Restart and shutdown now work OK.
5. Now need to fix sleep. Google for Lion 10.7.2 SleepEnabler.kext. Use pmVersion=23 flag. It makes system sleep occasionally - USB and Ethernet still causing issues
6. USB fixed via Chimera kernel flags (see below). Ethernet - need to get latest AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet driver - Google helps… One which goes with MultiBeast is very old.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
	<key>USBBusFix</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
        <key>GenerateCStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>GeneratePStates</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1080x32</string>
	<key>pmVersion</key>
	<string>23</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Sleeps and wakes like a charm! Now need to buy MacBook IR receiver, put Plex / EyeTV / Remote Buddy and I'm done.

Obviously there's a room for improvement so any suggestions welcome. USB3 with MultiBeast driver from LaCie works, but if you had device connected it will drop after wake.

P.S. Overall the board is quite unique. All those features packed in extremely small space. You can realistically put it into 1 inch high chassis together with new Intel heat pipe cooler HTS1155LP. I'm thinking about InWin K1 setup which was specifically developed for DH61AG http://www.in-win.com.tw/K1/SPECIFICATIONS.html. The sky is the limit :)

@beastyfellow:

Can you confirm that I have the right links to all the extra stuff mentioned in your guide? Also, which boxes do you have checked in Preferences-->Energy Saver?

DSDTFixer:
http://www.osx86.net/news-announcements/8397-dsdt-fixer-evox86.html

Latest SleepEnabler:
http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1948

AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet driver

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=205771&st=0

Thanks!

@beastyfellow

Sleep and Wake works, USB works right away and so does my wifi! Thanks!

Here is what I did:

Downloaded and saved your dsdt.aml to /Extra
Downloaded and installed SleepEnabler.kext and updated Intel Ethernet kext using Kext utility
I did not need to add pmVersion=23, nor did I have to add USBBUSfix flag

My observations:

Shutdown is much faster
Sleep works immediately the first time, but the second time it took about 20 seconds before going to sleep, but wake was immediate with USB and wifi up and running right away

I will conduct further testing tomorrow and report back, but again very happy to have sleep and wake working.

beastyfellow and slowjin thank you both for you efforts.

On my system the kext that made the difference was the AppleIntelE100e (1.9.5) downloaded from the IM link that slowjin lists above. My system sleeps and wakes from sleep apparently with everything working (Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth and WiFi) now. This is with the configuration beastyfellow provided and his DSDT.aml file. I am very pleased.

I have switched the CPU cooler to a GELID Slim Silence i-Plus. I modified the heat sink (ground off about 1/8 inch) to provide clearance to use the two USB headers. The system idles in the high 20s and low 30s and will get up to high 50s when 100% loaded for an extended time. This is with the i3-2125 CPU.

I am closing in on a G4 Cube and with a little luck I may have it in hand tomorrow.

neil

A quick update on sleep:

If I do a manual sleep, sleep works well with hard drive and CPU fan shut down, but on a timed sleep, I noticed that only the display shuts down but CPU fan and HDD still runs. The following setting in Preferences --> Energy Saver makes the scheduled sleep work:

Energe Saver Settings.png

I have updated my main partition now with the sleep solution from beastyfellow and very happy!

On a separate note, I am listing a few possibilities with this board:

1. Fit this board into a real Mini case when and if the low profile Intel heat sync is readily available
2. Get LVDS up and running with a touch screen, creating a iTouchMac

Attachments

• Energe Saver Settings.png
    Energe Saver Settings.png
    87.3 KB · Views: 387

neilhart said:
The system idles in the high 20s and low 30s and will get up to high 50s when 100% loaded for an extended time. This is with the i3-2125 CPU.

Neil,

What are you using to measure your temps? I use Temperature Monitor and mine idles in the high 30s, and while it does not go past low 50s on anything that I have done so far, I am wondering if I have a less than optimal setting somewhere or perhaps need to redo thermal pasting, which I have done with no real changes in temps. Thanks!

slowjin said:
neilhart said:
The system idles in the high 20s and low 30s and will get up to high 50s when 100% loaded for an extended time. This is with the i3-2125 CPU.

Neil,

What are you using to measure your temps? I use Temperature Monitor and mine idles in the high 30s, and while it does not go past low 50s on anything that I have done so far, I am wondering if I have a less than optimal setting somewhere or perhaps need to redo thermal pasting, which I have done with no real changes in temps. Thanks!

Slowjin,
This may be due to the "speedstepper" patch Neil is using to allow the Apple powermanagement kext to load.
It might be good for you to apply that patch too (without changing anything else) and run your temp monitoring again......

minihack said:
slowjin said:
neilhart said:

Neil,

Slowjin,
This may be due to the "speedstepper" patch Neil is using to allow the Apple powermanagement kext to load.
It might be good for you to apply that patch too (without changing anything else) and run your temp monitoring again......

minihack-

Thanks, great idea. I will give it a try when I get back home.

@neilhart-

Do you have any pointers to get the speedstepper going? I glanced through the posts referenced by your link, but so far sounds a bit foreign to me.

slowjin said:
@neilhart-

Do you have any pointers to get the speedstepper going? I glanced through the posts referenced by your link, but so far sounds a bit foreign to me.

Well I went to IM at this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=258611 and pulled down the SpeedStepper v1.2 for Lion 10.7.2 and followed the instructions.

Anyway after going through the SpeedStepper process, I was able to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. But I added that kext back to comply with beastyfellow's guide. I need to try removing it and see if sleep continues to work.

And when I quote temps I am using iStatPro widget with the FakeSMC Plugins for the motherboards found in Multibeast. I understand that these are not calibrated numbers, but they are reasonable and are relative to one another (meaning as the load increases the temp values go up).

neil

neilhart said:
slowjin said:
@neilhart-

Well I went to IM at this link http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=258611 and pulled down the SpeedStepper v1.2 for Lion 10.7.2 and followed the instructions.

Anyway after going through the SpeedStepper process, I was able to remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. But I added that kext back to comply with beastyfellow's guide. I need to try removing it and see if sleep continues to work.

And when I quote temps I am using iStatPro widget with the FakeSMC Plugins for the motherboards found in Multibeast. I understand that these are not calibrated numbers, but they are reasonable and are relative to one another (meaning as the load increases the temp values go up).

neil

Thanks, Neil.

After some more reading (multiple times) I will run the MSRDumper to see whether I am speedstepping, then if I am not, which is most likely, I will try the speedstepper, then might as well overhaul my heatsink just to be on the safe side. However, I am curious as to why sleep would not work after the patch, as in theory it should... Once speedstep works, I will remove the sleep solution by beastyfellow, test sleep, then place it back if sleepstepper does not solve sleep/wake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back