Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
H170N-wifi
CPU
i5 6600
Graphics
G1 gaming 960
Hi everybody! I've been building PCs for a while, but I've never done a hackintosh before. Now I'm working on one for a friend and I had some questions about my hardware choice and installation.
My hardware choices are:
Bitfenix Prodigy
corsair CX430 PSU
Intel i5 6600
Gigabyte H170N-wifi
DDR4 2133 memory
250 Gb Samsung 840 evo SSD
Seagate 1TB hard drive
Gigabyte G1 gaming 4Gb GTX960

I've read on another post that the included intel WiFi+BT card that comes preinstalled in the H170N-wifi motherboard isn't compatible with OSX el capitan. Is this still true? will I need to invest in a different wifi+BT card, and if so which one? Also, are there any changes to the BIOS I should know about to make booting into OSX easier for installation? Thank you.

Hi everybody! I've been building PCs for a while, but I've never done a hackintosh before. Now I'm working on one for a friend and I had some questions about my hardware choice and installation.
My hardware choices are:
Bitfenix Prodigy
corsair CX430 PSU
Intel i5 6600
Gigabyte H170N-wifi
DDR4 2133 memory
250 Gb Samsung 840 evo SSD
Seagate 1TB hard drive
Gigabyte G1 gaming 4Gb GTX960

I've read on another post that the included intel WiFi+BT card that comes preinstalled in the H170N-wifi motherboard isn't compatible with OSX el capitan. Is this still true? will I need to invest in a different wifi+BT card, and if so which one? Also, are there any changes to the BIOS I should know about to make booting into OSX easier for installation? Thank you.

Your hardware selections look good. Yes, it's true - no drivers yet exist for Intel Wifi cards. You'll need to replace it with an OS X-compatible card if you want Wifi. The Wifi expansion slot is M.2; the only available M.2 Wifi/Bluetooth card that is OS X-compatible is a Broadcom BCM94352Z. You can read more about it in this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/c...ini-cards-pcie-and-mini-pcie-adapters.147734/

As far as the BIOS is concerned, the standard advice is to do the following (your motherboard may or may not have all these settings available, and most of them are the default settings):
  1. Upgrade to the latest BIOS revision for your motherboard.
  2. Load "Optimized Defaults" settings.
  3. Set hard drive to AHCI mode.
  4. Disable VT-d virtualization.
  5. Set xHCI (USB 3.0) mode to "Auto".
  6. Make sure xHCI and EHCI are both enabled.
  7. Make sure HPET (High Precision Event Timer) is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back