Contribute
Register

New Mac Hobbyist In Search For Some Basic Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks elberto,

I appreciate this information. I'm getting started as we speak. I'm changing bios to ACHI to install Snow Leopard.

I will note this information when I get to check sound.

Hi elberto,

I have an Asus P5Q-E with the same on board audio CODEC but I can't get it to work at all in 10.6.8.

Do you have any more suggestions?
I'm not trying to hijack the thread so PM me if you have something.

BTW Thanks for the tip about the NIC, that worked great.

Thanks,
Fumbulz

Hello Everyone!

In appreciation to everyone in this community through 'Chat" -- "These Threads" and... through helpful PMs ultimately enabled me achieving successfully installing OS X on my Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard. In following posts on this thread I have added some important exchanges through these PM conversations as well providing some custom links given to me by other people in this wonderful community in their concern helping me reach success.

This in hopes to return to this great community by reaching anyone out there who is looking for specific information installing OSX on the Asus P5Q Deluxe Motherboard

Thanks To All ...........

Question from tonymacx86 member hugesabrina via PM ????

Hi, do you have had any success running osx on the p5q deluxe? I have bought this mb a year ago and i don't want to change it at least now...

My setup is:

P5Q Deluxe
Intel Q9300 (quad core)
8GB Ram
Ati 3870 (i know that this card don't work with osx)

thanks!

Hello hugesabrina,

Yes this motherboard works wonderful with the latest Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and from what I know will work with the very latest OS X "Lion"

The only problem I have is the rear eSata will not work with OS X and there is numerous other claims I've found acknowledging having the same problem with the Asus P5Q Deluxe.

It is important you do have a compatible video card and I recommend going here:

wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

That is a data base of tried and tested Video cards that will work with OS X .. Good Luck

Question from: hugesabrina

Hi!
Thanks for the quick response.

It seems that my only incompatible component is the gfx card, i'll buy a supported one soon. Could you pls tell me what procedure i have to do to install osx? I tried different bootloader (also iboot) but i have a kernel panic immediately and i cannot proceed.

I have a snow leopard original dvd.

Thanks for help, i can't wait to see osx on my p5q deluxe!

Hello hugesabrina:

The kernel panic likely is just the video card. I had the same exact problem as you coincidentally. I tried every search and solution to try and make my original Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 video card work and finally decided to hang it up.

I thought I was just gonna have to buy every recommended component to make OS X possible and that was just not the case at all. My video card indeed being confirmed the culprit once I installed a different one taken from that data base which I sent you. Like you I just built my computer within the last couple years making reluctant even conceiving buying another motherboard just to have OS X.

Here is picture of video card I bought ..

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI- ... B001NXDQCW

I paid around $80.00 for it w/shipping for a refurb one off geeks.com ... I live in USA and don't know if you do. This was once a $300.00 video card :eek: a couple years ago. It is designed for optional dual monitors and is a hard core gaming card although I'm not really a gamer. :think: mainly because of time constraints and my varied other interests. It is huge I will tell you! The card does require two 6 pin power connectors from your power supply important I mention so this particular card (may or may not) not be viable option for you. I just mention it only because our motherboards are identical twins.

You can choose another card by all means just pick one off that data base list I sent you. The card mentioned which I bought worked right out of the box :thumbup: and why I chose it from the database. It was listed among compared others needing least amount of work or tinkering according to written comments. :)

Once you get a new video card follow this guide exactly for the install of Snow Leopard:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

I think you will have easy luck once you install a new graphics card.

I hope this helps...

Message From: hugesabrina

Hi!
Finally i'm ready :)

Installed the new radeon 6850 and all is ok except for AUDIO and NETWORK. (osx 10.6.8)

I have to use a specific dsdt or kext ?

thanks for help!

AUDIO & NETWORK for ASUS P5Q DELUXE MOTHERBOARD

Hello hugesabrina,

:clap: Excellent! Yep that pesky original video card was your problem. Your life should get much easier patching your OS X and making it fully functional. Audio and Network should be easy now. No Guarantees though :shifty: . So lets go for it!

* First make your life easy and print these instructions out on your printer & also have you download Multibeast yet?

You can get MultiBeast 3.9.0 Snow Leopard Edition here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

* Transfer MultiBeast 3.9.0 Snow Leopard Edition to a USB storage Flash Drive once downloaded.

* Basically you'll be sticking to the continuation of this guide 'link below' explaining use of (Multibeast) after your completed install of Snow Leopard.

* http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

* Transfer Multibeast folder right to you OS X desktop from your USB Flash Drive. Then Install the Multibeast Utility.

* Your starting to see where I'm going to help you proceed..YES? okay.

* The following steps is what I did exactly for my Asus P5Q Deluxe if you want to cut to the chase as we say in America

* After Multibeast installed run the application till you get to the menu list of utilities that give an array of choices for patching your OS X for full functionality.

* Check boxes 'Easybeast' and 'System Utilities' Then click continue. Follow the steps to finish the install and you should eventually see a final window says 'installed successfully'

* reboot your system back into OS X

* Now we attack audio

* Run Multibeast again till you get to the utility menu list

* Click the tiny sideways triangle just before 'kext and Enablers' that will drop an extension menu of more selectable choices

* check off the Voodo HD 0.2.72

* Also check 'System Utilities' again. You must check 'System Utilities' for every Multibeast patch used for rebuilding the OS X system cache.

* reboot back into OS X again and you should now have audio.

* okay now we will attack your network. I personally had a hard time getting network to work with my Asus P5Q Deluxe and actually got it working by a mere experimentation of trials and errors ..I will best explain what I did and hope you have the same luck as I.

* Click on 'System Preferences' off your 'OS X Dock'

* A window pops up. Look for a category listed near toward the middle-bottom called 'Internet & Wireless'

* Under 'Internet & Wireless' category click 'Network'

* Another window will pop up. You'll notice a ----> 'IPV4' then select 'Using DHCP' from the drop list just to the right. This is what selection worked for me although you being in Italy this particular network setting may be different for your region of the world but this is where you tinker and experiment. I led you to the water. You just have to fool with this and see what works.

* Now select 'Apply' button on bottom right in the 'Network' window and 'OK' button if there is one as I can't remember there being an OK button but anyhow reboot your system back into OS X

* Hopefully you now have internet access.

* However if you still don't have internet access run Multibeast again.

* Click the tiny sideways triangle just before 'kext and Enablers' that will drop an extension menu of more selectable choices

* Select 'Network' . You will see 3 Network Kext choices you can decide upon for selection. Try any of the last 2 kexts individually. Then of course Also check 'System Utilities' again.

* Click continue and finish the installation till you get to the Multibeast pop up window says 'installed successfully'

* reboot back into OS X and hopefully now once and for all you now have internet..

* If that still don't work .. I have no further ideas regarding the Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard as all these documented instructions should work as they have for my same Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard..

* I would suggest searching for further audio and network troubleshooting issues on the tonymacx86 chat room or start a new thread in the tonymacx86 forum.

Good Luck...

Hello,
i post some update about my setup for osx 10.6.8

Hardware:

- P5Q Deluxe
- Intel Q9300 (quad core)
- 8GB Ram
- AMD Radeon Sapphire 6850

Steps:

- Boot with latest iBoot (PCIRootUID=1)
- Install Leopard 10.6
- Restart always with PCIRootUID=1
- Install 10.6.8 update
- Run multibeast (ONLY EASYBEAST)
- Reboot

Now osx recognize 8GB Ram and full QE/CI running on Radeon 6850, but NO audio and NO network connection.

- For network i added manually "skge.kext" and "IONetworkingFamily.kext"
- For audio i added the latest voodoohda from multibeast

Now, all is working but not yet perfect. One major problem is that SPEEDSTEP is not working and the CPU run always at full speed.

Do you have suggestion about solving the speedstep anomaly?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back