Contribute
Register

New hackintosh for video editing. Advice wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking to build a hackingtosh for video editing, and I got a friend to create a list of parts he thought might be good.
But we are a bit unsure. I have limited knowledge about computers, and my friend is not completely sure about what to look for when building a editing computer. Therefore I wanted to see if there's somebody here with more experience, that could give some advice and suggestions?
I have a budget of around 1400$ (not including screen, etc).

- Intel Core i7-6700K Prozessor (8MB Cache, LGA1151, 4GHz)

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

- Corsair CP-9020076-UK Builder Series 550W CS550M ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit

- Samsung MZ-75E250B/EU 850 EVO interne SSD 250GB (6,4 cm (2,5 Zoll), SATA III) schwarz

-Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Intel Skylake ATX Motherboard

- EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB 192 Bit Memory SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Cooling PCI Express 3 Graphics Card – Black

- Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLS2C16G4D240FSC (White)

Technically you're not supposed to bump a thread till one day has passed. What you can take the no response to mean is that everything looks ok. No one sees problems. You could talk a little about what editing programs you will use.

Sorry for that. I'm not a frequent forum user, so thanks for the advice.

Ok nice to hear that you don't see any immediate problems.
I'm planning to use the computer primarily for programs like Adobe Premiere and Davinci, and possibly AE.
We were wondering if for example it's a good idea to buy another/more coolers?
Basically, I want to know if this is going to work, and if there's more things we should consider. I understand that it will not be a professional editing computer, but is it good enough?
Thanks for the help.

The 212 Evo can easily handle a non-overclocked I7-6700K. Should be fine for editing with those Adobe programs. A more expensive 6 or 8 core system only gets things like renders done more quickly. This one can do all that you need it to.

The 212 Evo can easily handle a non-overclocked I7-6700K. Should be fine for editing with those Adobe programs. A more expensive 6 or 8 core system only gets things like renders done more quickly. This one can do all that you need it to.

Ok nice! I'll forward it to my friend.
Thanks a lot for the help!

I agree. This one will work fine. I finished a build for my son who's edited on iMac and Macbook Pro and he loves it. I used the H170N-WIFI, Core i7-6700 Skylake, Crucial 32GB, GTX 970 G1 Gamining video, 525GB SSD, 2TB SSD, 4 TB SATA all in a Cooler Master Elite 130. He wanted a small box. He got a Dell 4k monitor and called telling me it renders a lot faster than anything he has worked on lately.
Now building my 2nd for older son using the Bitfenix Prodogy with same motherboard and all. I used the Core i7 6700k in this one and may overclock. Also going to use Sierra and a Radeon RX 480 4GB video card. We want to see the difference using the AMD video card.

I agree. This one will work fine. I finished a build for my son who's edited on iMac and Macbook Pro and he loves it. I used the H170N-WIFI, Core i7-6700 Skylake, Crucial 32GB, GTX 970 G1 Gamining video, 525GB SSD, 2TB SSD, 4 TB SATA all in a Cooler Master Elite 130. He wanted a small box. He got a Dell 4k monitor and called telling me it renders a lot faster than anything he has worked on lately.
Now building my 2nd for older son using the Bitfenix Prodogy with same motherboard and all. I used the Core i7 6700k in this one and may overclock. Also going to use Sierra and a Radeon RX 480 4GB video card. We want to see the difference using the AMD video card.

Ok nice! This makes me more confident with my choices :)
Thanks!

I have a question for this thread, will the NVIDIA card for this build create artifacts when rendering video like mine does? I use Screenflow and when I render I have to send it to my MacBook Pro because on my Hack the video turns out green every time. I read somewhere on here that the problem doesn't show up with AMD video cards. Every revision to the NVIDIA web drivers I have my fingers crossed that it will be solved.

Video rendered with iMovie or Quicktime or any of the number of video converters you can get do not display this issue. Only Screenflow and one of the Adobe Video applications, I don't recall which one, I don't use any Adobe products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back